Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #31
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
So couldn't you just change the serial number?

I.E. Someone who hates the ads can swap serial numbers with someone who wants the ads. Maybe even exchange some money in the process..
You sure can, but I don't know if anything bad will result. If Amazon ever releases 3.2.1 update for old Kindle 3.1s, I would try that with someone.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #32
dhruvbhutani
dhruvbhutani began at the beginning.

Device: dhruvbhutani
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
You sure can, but I don't know if anything bad will result. If Amazon ever releases 3.2.1 update for old Kindle 3.1s, I would try that with someone.
Well as i said i'm new to Kindle hacking but considering this is the same hardware we're talking about , it should theoretically be possible to flash a clean (ad-free) firmware image and vice-versa ?

PS : If you wish to try out the ad exchange thing , please let me know
dhruvbhutani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #33
gecko11
gecko11 began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle 3.2
Exclamation

me too please!!! i want to get rid of ads! i didn't know that is the sponsored version. and when i registered it, it was too late to get my money back. the ideea to pay for an non-ads upgrade is very good. i would pay for this.
gecko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #34
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
yifanlu, If you wish, we can try to exchange with serials, but temporarily (I must have KSO to check my localization hacks on it). Maybe we also must exchange Kindle Hardware ID if Amazon track it too...

UPDATE:
I'm tried to change SN and... got not working Wi-Fi module... I don't know what is wrong, but after changing SN, settings page says "Wi-Fi MAC Address: Unavailable" and Wi-fi can't connect. Changing SN back enables Wi-Fi
So, please do not change SN or other hardware ids if you not have Serial line adapter to repair it.

Last edited by Sir Alex; 06-06-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #35
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
There must be a firmware setting that enables ads. It cannot be server-side because my kindle was reset remotely, something HAD to have told my kindle to stop displaying ads. This changed after a factory reset. What if I wasn't able to connect to WiFi and Amazon had to tick that setting? There is a firmware value.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #36
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

dasmoover, This setting is Amazonas side. It can mark you Kindle as Special Offers device or not.
Factory reset removes any ads and you got usual Kindle.. until you connect to Amazon. It verify thath you Kindle KSO or not and Send or not send the ads to Kindle side (All operation done via TODO list) So, when you call him, he removed your Kindle from AD enabled devices, and after factory reset you Kindle stay as usual Kindle.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #37
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
yifanlu, If you wish, we can try to exchange with serials, but temporarily (I must have KSO to check my localization hacks on it). Maybe we also must exchange Kindle Hardware ID if Amazon track it too...

UPDATE:
I'm tried to change SN and... got not working Wi-Fi module... I don't know what is wrong, but after changing SN, settings page says "Wi-Fi MAC Address: Unavailable" and Wi-fi can't connect. Changing SN back enables Wi-Fi
So, please do not change SN or other hardware ids if you not have Serial line adapter to repair it.
Even if you change your mac-secret etc it won't work..
(tried cloning two devices, so cloned ALL the values!)
Only thing I didn't try is to copy the display Eeprom.

FYI: Other stuff to know:
Code:
##manufactoringcode ends with:
echo -n "mac-address" | md5sum |cut -b 29- | cut -c 1-4)
PCB serial:
end with "SHW" wifi only
end with SHR wan/wifi

machineID is stored in: var/lib/dbus
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #38
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Yifanlu, I have tried over 20 times to get this JB working, I even wrote a small bash script to cp the file over as soon as it mounts. I end up with error code ranging from U002, U003, U007

ERR_GENERAL=U000
ERR_BUNDLE_VER=U001
ERR_BUNDLE_MD5=U002
ERR_IMAGE_MD5=U003
ERR_UPDATE_MISSING=U004
ERR_UPDATE_TMPDIR=U005
ERR_UPDATE_FAILED=U006
ERR_SIGNATURE_FAILED=U007

I have tried a factory reset as well.

Version: Kindle 3.2.1 (576290015)
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #39
Sir Alex
Groupie

I have successfully changed my KSO to non ADS Kindle
Steps:
1. You must change SN, Board ID, MAC, Manufacturer Code to values from non ADS Kindle
2. Reset to factory defaults (it will remove ads and resets hardware info cache)
3. That's all
Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #40
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Steps:
1. You must change SN, Board ID, MAC, Manufacturer Code to values from non ADS Kindle
2. Reset to factory defaults (it will remove ads and resets hardware info cache)
3. That's all
Care to give a step by step guide ?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #41
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Steps:
3. That's all
Have you tried just one (sn, board id, mac, manufactur code) instead of ALL of them for each?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #42
Sir Alex
Groupie

yifanlu, no, simply change all codes
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #43
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
yifanlu, no, simply change all codes
Did you try just the serial? Did it not work?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #44
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
OT, but just wanna say:

yifanlu - THANK YOU so much for working on the jailbreak. My Kindle3 v3.2.1 and I patiently await your fine work.

cheers,
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #45
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
OT, but just wanna say:

yifanlu - THANK YOU so much for working on the jailbreak. My Kindle3 v3.2.1 and I patiently await your fine work.

cheers,
-les
+1 , Yifanlu might just make me NOT regret my purchase. Thank you