Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #35806
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Great find! That is awesome
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #35807
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Fantastic find, Stitchawl. Are you going to get it valued once you have worked your magic on it (does that includes fashioning a new handle yourself)?
I never really care for the actual monetary value of things, but rather their intrinsic value. I have a pocket knife that is one of a series, #0008 and if left in its box and never used, would be worth about $5,000 today. But to me, its value was as a 'user,' and so I did.
Now its cash value is less than $200, but that's OK. I have no plans to ever sell it. It is perfection in form and function. To 'me,' THAT is its true value.

Same with this one today. True, it will have history behind it, but if that was what I was after, I never should have cleaned it up. It's like re-finishing an antique sideboard, a Victorian writing desk, or polishing an old coin.

I'm toying with the idea of making the handle myself. I've never made a folding knife before, though I've made dozens of fixed-blade knives, the blade, handle, and sheath. On the other hand, this blade is SOOO bloody incredible, I might just spring for the money to have a good folder maker put it together for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Great find! That is awesome
All my life I've been waiting to stumble onto that WW II military Harley-Davidson stored in some farmer's barn, or the vintage Martin guitar in someone's garage sale (my friend actually DID get himself one of those. Paid $5 for a pre-war OO-series Martin in almost perfect playing condition. A quick trip to the Martin factory restored it to it's pristine glory...

This knife is almost as good a find. I'm satisfied!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #35808
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
All my life I've been waiting to stumble onto that WW II military Harley-Davidson stored in some farmer's barn, or the vintage Martin guitar in someone's garage sale (my friend actually DID get himself one of those. Paid $5 for a pre-war OO-series Martin in almost perfect playing condition. A quick trip to the Martin factory restored it to it's pristine glory...

This knife is almost as good a find. I'm satisfied!
Stitchawl
Congrats, you're a lucky guy.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #35809
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow, Stitchawl. Fantastic find.

I'm usually the one that has a garage sale or donates something and I later find out that it was actually worth a lot of money. Excess junk to me, but a fantastic find for someone else.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #35810
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Wow, Stitchawl. Fantastic find.

I'm usually the one that has a garage sale or donates something and I later find out that it was actually worth a lot of money. Excess junk to me, but a fantastic find for someone else.
Don't feel too badly...
My father was an oral surgeon/reconstrutive dentist with his office in the same building we lived in. It was my job as a young boy to pick up the latest issues of all the 'important' comic books each week for the waiting room; Superman, Wonder Woman, Sgt.Rock, Batman, Archie and Veronica, Little Lulu, Casper the Friendly Ghost, etc., etc. My mother picked up the grown-up's magazines. Each week my mother would take the old comics out of the waiting room, and put them into a box. I guess I did this once a week from age 8 or 9 until my later teens. And each week my mother would take them out of the waiting room and put them into the box... er... boxes... Many of these comics never even got opened as only a few of my father's patients were kids. These comics were in pristine condition when my father retired and they moved south. Of course, before moving my mother threw away all the old boxes...

With the current value of old comic books today, I can only imagine that she must have thrown away $50,000- $75,000 worth of comics without realizing it.

But it runs in the family. When my father and his brother were young, each evening they would throw their pennies into empty gallon pickle jars. By the time they moved out of the house there were probably a dozen or more filled jars. And just as probably, at least half the pennies were old 'Indian Head' pennies, VERY valuable to collectors. The other half also probably had quite a few valuable coins. But Grandma had no idea... so she just carted them off to the back, and exchanged them for paper dollars....

You're not alone.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 03-11-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #35811
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I'd be weaving moonbeams into my hair... if I had hair. (Would woven moonbeams work as well in ear hair?) I guess I'll just have to settle for weaving some macreme mobile phone holders for the folks in my Senior Citizen conversation group. They asked for some last week and I promised I'd make them for them. I'm thinking that even if I do, I'm going to teach them how to make them this afternoon. A lot of new vocabulary words will be necessary...
Quote:
Did you teach them? Pics please.

Here are a couple of the different stitches I taught them. Most of these take about 5-10 minutes to make, and are as easy (or actually easier) than tying your shoes. The two 'round' ones (the first and the fifth from the left) take a bit longer; it takes about 15-30 minutes for those, but just as easy. Sorry for the poor photo. I took it with my phone just 'cuz it's been so busy today.

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lanyard1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	102749  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #35812
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Putting Lucas back to sleep. He had his bottle but is very excited to start the day. I thought he was asleep and put him in his crib. After getting dressed, and listening to him babble, i found him sitting up with his blanket very determined to not sleep. Mommy's shoulder is harder to resist, he is sleeping. Now to give it a few minutes.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #35813
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Stitchawl, I remember being totally into macrame; I made belts, purses, plant hangers, pouches, etc.. When I moved, I found a few pieces that I had made and finally tossed them. Those were all made with the thicker beige rope and now days I see some made with the pretty colors and thinner string that is much more appealing.

Charging my phone and thinking about getting ready for work.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #35814
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Helping Lucas settle down for a nap. He is a go go go kind of guy. Sleep is not his favorite thing.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #35815
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Thanks Stitchawl, I remember being totally into macrame; I made belts, purses, plant hangers, pouches, etc.. When I moved, I found a few pieces that I had made and finally tossed them. Those were all made with the thicker beige rope and now days I see some made with the pretty colors and thinner string that is much more appealing.

Charging my phone and thinking about getting ready for work.
Back in the late '60's, my wife and I sold macreme plant hangers, wine bottle holders, belts, bags, and wall decorations (and of course, candles) at Flea Markets in So.Cal, as part of our money-maker contribution to the commune we were living in. No one had heard of macreme in those days, so they sold very well. We too used the heavy brown jute cords, and some wooden beads as well.

A lady in the booth next to ours was selling craft supplies. During the day we were chatting and she suggested that we take some string, beads, and a mimeographed (no copiers in those days) sheet of instructions, and sell "Macreme Kits!" I thought she was nuts. Who in their right mind would buy a bag full of string and a couple of beads? So we never gave it another thought...

Until 2-3 years later when we saw "Macreme Kits" being sold in just about EVERY department store, craft shop, gift store, etc., etc., etc. Somebody got very rich on the idea that 'we' thought would never sell...

Stitchawl
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #35816
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
nothing
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #35817
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
<snip>
Until 2-3 years later when we saw "Macreme Kits" being sold in just about EVERY department store, craft shop, gift store, etc., etc., etc. Somebody got very rich on the idea that 'we' thought would never sell...

Stitchawl
That's just like some of my thinking when I wondered who in their right mind would try to sell water when it is free?

Why would we pay for TV when it was already free? We use to imagine that they would put little black boxes on top of TV's and we would have to put quarters in it, just to watch a program! Little did we know.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #35818
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Watching this hilarious [NSFW!] video.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #35819
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I really like Stuart Ashen's videos! So, the big question is: did you ever engage in this infamous sport?
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #35820
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
I really like Stuart Ashen's videos! So, the big question is: did you ever engage in this infamous sport?
Not intentionally. Though Rodney has tried to crawl up my pant leg.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?