Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #76
michaelventigan
michaelventigan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
pls send me a link to mmcblk0p1 3.3...gitbrew site is kinda down atm... Hoping for your kindness tnx
michaelventigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #77
buddha2012
buddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toys

Device: K3 & K4NT
I also need that file please. I have downloaded the file from Dropbox twice but it is corrupted. Thanks
Guenther
buddha2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #78
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I'm trying to upload it again -- should be done in 2 hours provided nothing breaks....

EDIT: It failed with a "broken pipe" error twice about 1/3 through the upload....

Last edited by qlob; 08-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #79
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to upload it somewhere else now.
*crosses fingers, hopes for the best*
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #80
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have a copy of the entire 4GB mmc from my "new-in-box" K3-wifi now. I need to extract the kernel and partition images from it.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #81
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have a copy of the entire 4GB mmc from my "new-in-box" K3-wifi now. I need to extract the kernel and partition images from it.
Okay. It looks like this upload will finally go through...(40% and rising)

Edit: It's now stuck @ 43%... hopefully it will continue uploading...

Last edited by qlob; 08-19-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #82
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My "factory fresh" K3 image is version 3.0.2 (root partition and kernel). The K3 root partition is 350MB compressed. I cannot upload it to mediafire, which has a 200MB per file limit. Any ideas where to store it?

Hopefully it can go on gitbrew when that is back online again.

EDIT: Upload progress: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2190957

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-20-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #83
geekmaster

K3 v3.0.2 firmware and kernel links are now in the pastebin linked to the "simple debricking" first post. You can upgrade to v3.3 after flashing them.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #84
buddha2012
buddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toysbuddha2012 shares his or her toys

Device: K3 & K4NT
@geekmaster: Thank you very much for your efforts !

I have just downloaded the 3.0.2 kernel and root partition and have successfully unbricked my K3 with them.
So I can confirm that they work !

buddha2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #85
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha2012 View Post
@geekmaster: Thank you very much for your efforts !

I have just downloaded the 3.0.2 kernel and root partition and have successfully unbricked my K3 with them.
So I can confirm that they work !

This also confirms that k3flasher can make good images. Thanks. I added your post to the "simple debricking" success report list.

At some point, I may update the firmware to 3.3, and install various popular hacks, then make a new "pre-hacked" firmware image to upload (like what ixtab did for the K5).

I heard from silver18 that the "small debricking guide for noobs" (for the K4/K5) was downloaded more than 1400 times. Combining that with all the successful debrickings that were done just using the information from the simple debricking thread, means that there are probably thousands of kindles that have been debricked using this method. Awesome! That saved amazon some serious cash. They ought to send me (and others) some perks for that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-20-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #86
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
They have, they allowed you to buy 11 Kindles from them without ration cards.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #87
bigtj1
bigtj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
So I'm having an issue with unbricking my kindle 3. I have a demo unit and tried to flash it using the wiki step-by-step method and I think I figured out what went wrong the first time I did it. The problem I'm having now is when i try to reflash the kernel and image it will start then fail saying "flash program failed: connection error". It seems to possibly be related to the fact that its not staying in bootstrap mode, I know this because when I go through the steps to put it in bootstrap it will allow it to start up again but then it fails shortly after. I'm hoping that it might be because my battery is low since the last flash I did I let run all night. Any info or advice that anyone can provide is very much appreciated!
bigtj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #88
Pixelpille
Pixelpille began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Few Days ago my Kindle bricked (hung up and after a reboot it was stuck at the screen with the boy reading under the tree and a half filled bar.)
and now I'm trying to debrick it with your Method.

But it seems like the ATK always throws this error:

Any idea what to do?
"Rebooting" the bricked Kindle doesn't seem to work
Pixelpille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #89
tommo90
tommo90 began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Once youve downloaded the kernel-3.0.2-factory.img.gz, do you need to unzip it and convert it to a .bin file. If so, any suggestions for a converter.

Thanks
tommo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #90
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
tommo90: "gunzip", but that doesn't come with a GUI. I suggest 7zip - handles almost all relevant compression formats.

bigtj: Yep, I think it might be the battery. I would suggest to give it a lot of hours with a charger. But I did not quite understand what you meant with this:
Quote:
I know this because when I go through the steps to put it in bootstrap it will allow it to start up again but then it fails shortly after
It should at least stay into USB downloader mode, I think. In the worst case, it might be hardware failure, nothing software could fix...

Pixelpille: Hm, you did put the kindle into Downloader mode, right? Does it still show the boy under the tree? Does power cycling or bringing the Kindle into Downloader mode change anything on screen, does the power LED change? Again, this also could be hardware failure.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3