Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
To Save Free Enterprise, Books Must Die

A very interesting take by one of the greats of science fiction, Ursula K. Le Guin, on Harper's 26 week limit for library ebooks.

To Save Free Enterprise, Books Must Die
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
She seems like a conflicted lady.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
By allowing their clients to take out hardcopy books an unlimited number of times before they have to be replaced

that's taking some liberties with the word "unlimited."
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm fairly sure she's actually having a go at harper, even if she hates ebooks in general. :P
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I could never get into her work, maybe I'll try again at some point though, maybe download an epub anthology from the lightnet. If she is a science fiction great as the OP suggests then by definition she should have no qualms about her work being frely shared amongst as many people as possible, agree or disagree?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Not to muddy the water, but this contrast between "unlimited" life p-books and limited-loan ebooks is a little weak, since libraries have been leasing pbooks for a very long time. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to cover short-term demand for bestsellers, etc. When the leased books get returned, they effectively "expire" -- the lease period is limited contractually and anyway the books have to be sent back.

I'm not defending the HarperCollins policy, which just looks like a way to monetize something you couldn't before. That's capitalism, isn't it? But it's not as if libraries have no experience at all with similar arrangements.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
From what I've seen of her comments, she isn't totally anti ebook, just has issues with how things came about.

Part of her dislike of ereaders may due to her inexperience. There are some more complex readers out there, and it is also the case if you read on tablets, computers and smart phones, where you do have to pay a bit more attention to the device and it distracts you from the reading experience. It is part of why I don't like reading on a computer. When you have a ton of buttons in front of you, or in the case of some apps you have to use the mouse, the use of it isn't as unconscious as it is with a dedicated reader. Dedicated readers are extremely easy to use though, and most are of a sort that I feel she may have better opinions of if given the chance to be shown them.

The other part boils down entirely to the business model. Publishers retroactively claiming exclusivity to ebooks, companies doing things that make the book reading public and the authors bear the brunt of decisions that only serve to profit for the publishers, etc. One of her bigger complaints was about Google Books scanning books without having permission from the copyright holder. While they were still waiting on the courts to decide on the settlement, Google was still scanning regardless. I can understand her having issues with this. It is something special considering she is a opponent of how copyrights have been given such large extensions.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
If she is a science fiction great as the OP suggests then by definition she should have no qualms about her work being frely shared amongst as many people as possible...
Logic fail.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
I'm fairly sure she's actually having a go at harper, even if she hates ebooks in general. :P
Yes, I think you are right...which makes me wonder what the rest of the posts on this thread are for.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If she is a science fiction great as the OP suggests then by definition she should have no qualms about her work being frely shared amongst as many people as possible, agree or disagree?
How can you say that? I like Scifi, because things in space or technology beyond what we can do seems interesting, but I don't believe that there should be no copyright. That is like saying because I like Artwork from the USSR, I am a communist when really the things are merely related on the peripheral. Heck, your statement is even further out there than my example.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No... this is giggles... and as for "if she's a science fiction great..." words fail... I'm still delighted to have giggles on ignore, I enjoy MR so much more without him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Logic fail.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
How can you say that? I like Scifi, because things in space or technology beyond what we can do seems interesting, but I don't believe that there should be no copyright. That is like saying because I like Artwork from the USSR, I am a communist when really the things are merely related on the peripheral. Heck, your statement is even further out there than my example.
Because by my definition(the only definition that matters) Science fiction is beneficial to the future of the species, based on the knowledge in the text. Great science fiction should therefore be freely shared, to further our species development.

Logic is itself a failure to think illogically.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Because by my definition(the only definition that matters) Science fiction is beneficial to the future of the species, based on the knowledge in the text. Great science fiction should therefore be freely shared, to further our species development.

Logic is itself a failure to think illogically.
But thinking illogically serves no purpose. If something has logic to it, then it has some basis of support. Math would have no purpose if people thought illogically, because thinking 1+1=3 is illogical. By removing logic from the equation, no one else can see the product and find how it was derived. If you do not know how something came to be, you cannot faithfully reproduce it. If you cannot faithfully reproduce something, you are to be wrought with failure when attempting something that would ordinarily benefit you.

Also, if only what you think matters, then what is the point of communicating with others? Why be here? Surely if you fail to yield, and have the mindset that everyone else is wrong unless they agree with you, it will only cause arguments and push people away from your cause even when you are in situations when people would ordinarily agree with you.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Ms. LeGuin is a founding member of Book View Cafe, an emporium of ebooks. Why would you think she hates ebooks in general?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Logic fail.
Indeed. it is common, however, among those who wish to take things they don't belong to them and not pay for them.

Step 1: Find some characteristic about owner of said thing, completely at random.

Step 2: Claim that means they don't mind having their stuff taken.

Step 3: Profit!

Giggles is always good for a laugh.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote