Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #76
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Creating Music Playlists

Okay, people might already know how to do this, but I didn't, and I figure maybe someone else might benefit from this. I didn't see this in any of the previous messages, so sorry if this is repetitive. Also, I discovered this on the Nook Color boards, so credit goes to juanitasJS there.

1. To create a playlist on Nook, when you access your music through the app or through the sdcard or files menu, hold your finger for a few seconds on the song you want to use for a playlist. It'll pop up a menu that with options: Play, Delete, Add to Playlist. Select Add to Playlist. The meny choices are Current or New. Select New, then type in the name of the playlist. Boom, playlist created. Then just press for a few seconds the song(s) you want to add to that playlist, and select Add to Playlist - Name of the Playlist you created.

2. To change the order of songs in a playlist, when you have the playlist loaded, touch your finger to the left or right side of the songs list, and an icon with little lines on it pops up. You can drag the songs into whatever order you wish. This doesn't work, of course, if you have a shuffle mode on.

Hope this helps
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #77
nccjones
nccjones began at the beginning.

Device: nook/nook color
Turning off the nook color. This has probably been posted but there are so many posts! I was having such a hard time turning off this device that I started to just randomly hit buttons after I hit the power button (wouldn't always fade and get the power down), that I hit the "n" button right after the power button and the power down window always comes up.
nccjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #78
xokitkatxo
xokitkatxo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Unhappy This isn't working for me

Having my movie or video reset after pausing, and going to another applications is really frustrating me. I tried the suggestion below, but it still goes back to the beginning, has anyone else had success with this, or can suggest another option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvista View Post
Here's a re-post from another thread of something I ran into that should be helpful...

If you pause the video and press the "n" button, rather than using the "Back" button, your position in the video will be remembered the next time you play it. But only the position in the last video is remembered. B&N really needs to add a full-function video player that recalls position for every video. This is standard procedure for Android phone apps--at least for the ones I've used.

One caveat. It seems that if you do what I said above and then access a different video, sometimes the player will come up with the saved position displayed for the new video. Using the back button here and then re-entering the new video seems to clear this--and forget your position in the previous video, of course.
xokitkatxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #79
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
So is there a way to "stick" the address bar/back button/settings button to the top of the browser window as you scroll down? I can't seem to figure it out, and so i have to scroll to the top of the window when i want to go back or search from the address bar. Thanks.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #80
kimicatt
kimicatt began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sometimes it is easier or more desirable to create a quick PDF to view on the NC rather than creating an ePub or some other format. I had such a case today and played around with MS Word to find some good page size, font, and margin settings. Here is what I found to work pretty well:

Page Size: 3.4" x 5.5"

Margins: 0.1" all around

Font Size: Set to your preference. I used Times New Roman at 10pt. I think it is a bit large, so I probably could have used 9pt.

I created the DOCX file then exported it to a PDF.

I attached two screenshots of the resulting file as displayed on my NC. One uses 10pt Times New Roman and the second uses 9pt Arial Rounded MT Bold.

EDIT: I incorrectly stated that font sizes but have edited them accordingly.
Thank you so much for this tip!!! I have been looking forever for one that is easy to understand!!!
kimicatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #81
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sometimes it is easier or more desirable to create a quick PDF to view on the NC rather than creating an ePub or some other format.

[snip]

I created the DOCX file then exported it to a PDF.
Why not just leave it a DOCX file? What do you gain by making it a PDF?
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #82
Guinan
Guinan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Smile Library Wallpaper?

Is there a way to change the background or even just color the Library view? Even if I could make them wood color like iBooks it would be nicer than just white.
Guinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #83
joseslepian
joseslepian began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Creating Playlists

Thank you, Carriebear, for the wonderful tip on playlists. I'm wondering, however, if there is something equivalent to the PC's right click + shift command where you can highlight and add multiple tracks (or your entire library) at one time without having to separately add each one. Thanks!

Update: I tried adding an m3u file to my music directory, but NC would not recognize it. Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited by joseslepian; 06-03-2011 at 05:06 AM. Reason: update
joseslepian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #84
lee ann
lee ann began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I don't understand rooting and what the advantages are. And I surely, don't know where to begin. Can anyone help? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I can't find it.
lee ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #85
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee ann View Post
I don't understand rooting and what the advantages are. And I surely, don't know where to begin. Can anyone help? I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I can't find it.
This post really helped me get my head around all the options:
http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-pick...stall-options/
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #86
Alcuith
Enthusiast
Alcuith began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Iliad, Cool-er
Huge icons on main screen

Anybody come up with a way to reduce the size of those giant icons on the main screen for an unhacked Nook Color?
Alcuith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #87
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuith View Post
Anybody come up with a way to reduce the size of those giant icons on the main screen for an unhacked Nook Color?
You can change the size of the icons/covers by pinching them (put a finger at the top and bottom and drag them towards each other). Unless you mean the strip at the bottom of the screen, those can't be sized AFAIK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #88
Warchild
Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Warchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook Color, Kobo Aura, iPad, iPad Mini
I really like the Nook Color social features, especially tweeting quotes and posting likes to Facebook, but somehow B&N have managed to restrict the access to the social deatures only to books purchased from B&N. (Amazon has similar features but allows you to post from any source albeit no where near as nicely or elegantly).
Is there anyway to inject metadata into side loaded books or a header that would enable the social functions on any book?
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #89
photoluminations
photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.photoluminations could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
nook color display, actual size?? error in format guide?

Nook color specs are stated as 1024 X 600 pixels at 169dpi. This is ~6.1x3.6 inches.

BN publishes the "PUBIT! ePUB FORMATTING GUIDE." That document, at section VI Image Optimization states "The maximum viewing size of the nook screen is 600x730 pixels." That would be a viewing area of 730x600 pixels.

I am a publisher developing books that will be distributed for the nook color. I don't have and would not like to own a nook color. Can someone who has a nook color perhaps take a rule to their device (unrooted, displaying an epub book) and tell me if the formatting guide is telling the truth? I have been unable to get clarification from BN. Thank you!
photoluminations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #90
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoluminations View Post
Nook color specs are stated as 1024 X 600 pixels at 169dpi. This is ~6.1x3.6 inches.

BN publishes the "PUBIT! ePUB FORMATTING GUIDE." That document, at section VI Image Optimization states "The maximum viewing size of the nook screen is 600x730 pixels." That would be a viewing area of 730x600 pixels.

I am a publisher developing books that will be distributed for the nook color. I don't have and would not like to own a nook color. Can someone who has a nook color perhaps take a rule to their device (unrooted, displaying an epub book) and tell me if the formatting guide is telling the truth? I have been unable to get clarification from BN. Thank you!
I suspect your misunderstanding stems from the assumption that "nook screen" refers to the NC. Most likely the guidelines are aimed at the least common denominator in their product line, meaning the Nook Classic and/or the new eInk Nook.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote