Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nook Color Battery Life

I didn't see any discussions around battery life for the Nook Color. Wondering what your "real life" experience is.

I've been busy rooting, tweaking, etc. so haven't really sat down to read for multiple hours at a time. I would say I've completely discharged the battery twice, each within a 24 hour period. I think my average "sleep" loss per hour is 1% - 3%. While in use it depends on what I'm doing. Straight reading seems to be about 5% - 8% per hour (but I've seen it higher).

Movies - well...probably closer to 15% - 20% per hour

What has your experience been?

Last edited by French; 12-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
It all depends on your brightness setting. I rarely bump mine up above 1/3. Also, I always turn the screen off before closing the cover even though it's set to do so after 15 minutes.

Rapid battery depletion is expected for video watching.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I only used mine for browsing and occasional reading (switching between nook and nookColor depending on the circumstances), and after the weekend it still has 1/2 charge left.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It all depends on your brightness setting. I rarely bump mine up above 1/3. Also, I always turn the screen off before closing the cover even though it's set to do so after 15 minutes.

Rapid battery depletion is expected for video watching.
I'm keeping my screen around 25%...sometimes even less depending on the situation, and making sure to manually turn the screen off. By the way you can change the screen off setting. Mine is at 2 minutes.

The 2 times I ran the battery down in 24 hours (each) were 1) purposely...did stuff throught the day and then ran a video for the last hour or so, and 2) purposely again but was doing stuff with it all day.

I seem to need to charge about every other day. Can't wait to get down to some reading to see what that's like...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I've been trying to keep a tab on the NC battery life. My experience is:

- WiFi off, reading at ~ 20% brightness: battery drains at 11% per hour which means I get approx. 9 hrs per charge
- WiFi on, surfing the net ~ 20% brightness: battery drains at 13% per hour => 7.5 hrs per charge
- Sleep mode: no drain in battery at all

I also tested my co-worker's NC. Hers is a little better than mine. For reading at 20% brightness, her battery drains at 9.5% per hour so she is getting 10.5 hours per charge.

The battery life seems descent. At least I'm getting what is being advertized by B&N.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
The battery life seems descent. At least I'm getting what is being advertized by B&N.
Yeah, usually it's overestimated.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
French
Groupie

Quote:

- WiFi off, reading at ~ 20% brightness: battery drains at 11% per hour which means I get approx. 9 hrs per charge
- WiFi on, surfing the net ~ 20% brightness: battery drains at 13% per hour => 7.5 hrs per charge

I also tested my co-worker's NC. Hers is a little better than mine. For reading at 20% brightness, her battery drains at 9.5% per hour so she is getting 10.5 hours per charge.

Are you using a program or is this an estimation? Only asking because if you are using a program I'm curious as to which one (would require root).
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Are you using a program or is this an estimation? Only asking because if you are using a program I'm curious as to which one (would require root).
Mine is not rooted yet. I consider doing it but I really don't want to lose the "read in store" feature so I'll probably just wait for the B&N apps. When I first got the NC, I was manually keeping a log on the battery and all daily activities to make sure I'm getting what was advertized. As soon as I wake the NC, I checked the battery, log the time and did the same thing before I put it back to sleep mode. What I reported in the post is the average based on the log.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
French
Groupie

Quote:
Mine is not rooted yet. I consider doing it but I really don't want to lose the "read in store" feature so I'll probably just wait for the B&N apps. When I first got the NC, I was manually keeping a log on the battery and all daily activities to make sure I'm getting what was advertized. As soon as I wake the NC, I checked the battery, log the time and did the same thing before I put it back to sleep mode. What I reported in the post is the average based on the log.
Well I thank you for your diligence!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
I charged five days ago, read for about an hour a day with brightness set at the lowest setting (reading in the dark) and wifi on (want to keep last page read sync'd - why doesn't the NC turn off the radio when in reading mode the way the N does?) and I'm at ~60%. I'm expecting to get about a week between charges, aiming to charge when I get between 25% and 50%.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Spyddr
Spyddr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
NC Battery

I let my battery drain till I recieved the "not enough power to turn on" message. Once I had that, plugged it in, let it charge overnight. Friday night I picked it up and started reading. I've used it each night since then for about an hour or two and still have battery showing. Have not figured a way to display a % though. Overall it is a great reader!
Spyddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Grayce
Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grayce has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook and NOOkcolor
If you go into the settings menu and then into device info there will be a percentage amount for your battery there.
Grayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
French
Groupie

I used it non stop from 5:15 last night til 9:45...mostly on the internet actually, but some reading as well. It went from 94% to 44% in that period of time. So that's about 11% per hour.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

I agree with your findings
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've only had mine for a little over a day. Yesterday I read quite a bit with and without the WiFi on and with the backlight at 25% or less. The battery didn't drain that much or very fast. Today I went outside and read. Even though I was in the shade, I had to turn the backlight up to 100%. The battery drained down by about 30%-40% of total charge in about two hours even with WiFi off. First, the backlight isn't bright enough reading in direct sunlight and marginal at 100% in the shade. Second, reading with the backlight at 100% is going to drain the battery within 4 to 5 hours, or so I estimate. But I probably won't use it outside much as I have a Sony PRS-950 that is perfect for brightly lit areas.

I think that under normal reading conditions for me with WiFi off and the backlight no more than 25% I should get at least 8 hours and probably a lot more.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-09-2010 at 05:34 PM.