Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #1
jls
jls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud of

Overview?

Hi,

I am very new here and plan to buy an iRex iLiad, mainly for reading scientific papers, but I would not mind using it as a calendar, adressbook and email reader etc. I am delighted to see that all that seems possible and is more a question of time since the iLiad appears to be basically a linux box and iRex seems open for third party develoment.

Can anyone give a short resume of

- what the iLiad reader is like from a technical viewpoint
- would it make sense to port packages (like Debian for Darwin) for the iLiad reader
- how to run a shell, boot , cross-compile etc.
- how iRex handles the community effort to run GNU software on it

Maybe an introduction like this would be a good sticky post for beginners like me.

Best regards and a Happy New Year

jls
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
For community software:
You can request a patch from iRex to be able to execute .sh files from the user interface. And Scotty1024 seems to be very active in porting some apps (Sylpheed Claws and a better ipdf, then there is desgin256's GNUChess, for some examples).

And since the whole system is still running as root, you can pretty much do what you want with it. However, one should be careful, because iRex will ask you for a 75 EUR payment to reflash the device, if you make your iLiad unusable.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that everything is still running as root)

For packages to port, I would personally be interested in a small webserver (like Lighttpd), PHP5 and SQLite. To bad I'm not a developer.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert