Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Best pdf to text/rtf/whatever I have ever seen

http://www.nitropdf.com/professional/trial.asp

Advantages in the nitropdf pro that I haven't seen in any other pdf to text converter:

(1) Automatically gets rid of line breaks in the middle of sentences. Those of you who have been using pdf to text converters know what I mean. Read this article to know what I mean.

(2) You can tell it in the option to detect and delete all headers and footers.

(3) It's very lite. Installation takes less than 30 seconds for me.

(4) Doesn't take up much computer resources.

(5) You can tell it to convert up to 128 files at any one time and let it run while you do something else.

(6) Absolutely will not stall. I've been letting it convert hundreds of files while I play some games. Again, this puppy doesn't take up much resources at all, unlike the adobe pro version.

(7) 14 day trial. Haha, just keep reinstalling if you don't want to pay $99.99.

(8) Basically, I just got it today and I'm already very impressed. Some of the books I've been telling it to convert are thousands of pages long, and this puppy converted them without any problem.

Compared to nitro, calibre looks like something that was created in the middle ages. Try it out and you'll see what I mean

Last edited by jblitereader; 06-23-2010 at 02:31 AM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
asterion
Bookseller
asterion began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Thanks livingenzyme. I'll give a try. I was using Solid Converter, which is pretty good but sometimes terribly slow
asterion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Yeah, this one's the best I've tried. I convert PDFs by bulk and keep downloading the trial if I need it coz it's quite pricey.
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
IMHO Nuance pdf converter is the best, consumer level converter. The best would still be acrobat itself, but the price is prohibitive.

Nitro comes third in my opinion, primarily because it creates more new lines (ie line breaks in mid sentences) than the other two, and doesn't convert to HTML.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
IMHO Nuance pdf converter is the best, consumer level converter. The best would still be acrobat itself, but the price is prohibitive.
I beg to differ. I've been using acrobat pro and nuance and IMHO they don't even come close to nitro.

Quote:
Nitro comes third in my opinion, primarily because it creates more new lines (ie line breaks in mid sentences) than the other two, and doesn't convert to HTML.
Are we talking about the same nitro? I just converted my library of pdf's of almost a thousand books. I've been checking books at random and could not find a single line break in mid sentence.

I've read over a hundred pages of one book I converted from pdf and so far no line break in mid sentence at all.

I'm out of town right now, and I don't have nitro on my laptop. But even if nitro doesn't convert to html, you could easily convert something to text using nitro and it is the simplest thing to convert text to html. Heck, msword has this option for you.
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
Mahmud
Mahmud began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I just tried out Nitro PDF Professional (I have a registered copy from some free giveaway on the web last year) and it did leave me with a lot of line breaks in mid-sentence. I'm trying to convert from a two-column book. It is a fine converter in many ways -- among its many uses -- but it still seems to have this line break problem.
Mahmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
jblitereader
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmud View Post
I just tried out Nitro PDF Professional (I have a registered copy from some free giveaway on the web last year) and it did leave me with a lot of line breaks in mid-sentence. I'm trying to convert from a two-column book. It is a fine converter in many ways -- among its many uses -- but it still seems to have this line break problem.
I don't have any 2-collumn pdf ebook. Perhaps that's what throwing this thing off.

Like I said, I just converted a lot of pdf ebooks into text and I haven't found any line break in mid sentence at all. I'll let you know if I find any.

It is possible that I endorsed this converter too soon. I was just excited that I actually found a converter that doesn't give me any line break at all.

Or perhaps you are using an older version. I'm using 6.1.1.1 pro.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Mahmud
Mahmud began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Mine's 6.0.1.8 pro, so I don't think it's the version. Multiple column PDFs are hard for converters. Nitro did a better job than some other converters I had but there were some mid-sentence line breaks left on almost every page of the converted text.
Mahmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
Yadina
Check my way and follow
Yadina began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have tried Solid PDF to text converter and AnyBizSoft PDF to text converter and find both of them are very good. As Word, most of time, can replace text as the editing process, so, recently I like to use PDF to Word Converter. AnyBizSoft has provided the free version. I have got one and also feels good.
Yadina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
jblitereader
Addict

Found a couple line breaks. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell makes them break and what the hell makes them not break.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just tried out nitro and am amazed at how well it works (to txt)! If there were line breaks, they were not frequent enough to bother me. I set the line length to 43 for the jetBook and it fits very well at font size 18, maybe that's why the line breaks occur "naturally?"

This seems a great for solution for most of my PDFs.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
jblitereader
Addict

I finally figured out why nitro added line breaks in some places while left most of the paragraphs intact.

It adds a line break every time it goes to a new page on the pdf file itself.

Theory on the solution: combine all pdf pages into one big giant pdf page. Will report back later if this works.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
jblitereader
Addict

UPDATE

Screw nitro. AnyBizSoft PDF convert pdf to word. No line break whatsoever. None. Zip. Absolutely no line break at all. It divides the texts into nice paragraphs from the pdf. No spelling mistakes. None. Zip.

All I gotta find now is a good program to convert the word into rtf or txt.

Edit.

Nevermind. Anybizsoft sucks. Try it and play around with the font to see what I mean.

Last edited by jblitereader; 07-09-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
Screw nitro. AnyBizSoft PDF convert pdf to word. No line break whatsoever. None. Zip. Absolutely no line break at all. It divides the texts into nice paragraphs from the pdf. No spelling mistakes. None. Zip.

All I gotta find now is a good program to convert the word into rtf or txt.

Edit.

Nevermind. Anybizsoft sucks. Try it and play around with the font to see what I mean.
Agree with ya on anybizosft. I tested the converter on my pc for just 20 minutes and uninstalled it.

Btw, anybizsoft has this "PDF to EPUB Converter" program. I haven't tried it though.

http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-to-epub-converter.html
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote