Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #31
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Most hardware companies do not announce new products months before they start selling them. Does Apple? Does your cell phone maker? Does Tivo?

The K2 was rumored for months before it was announced. The K-DX or whatever it's called was rumored for months before it was announced. But like I said before, most importantly, it's not a "better" version of the K2; it's a totally different form factor. We don't even know if it will have all the same functionality as the K2. What if it has no wireless and has 12 hour battery life?
Technically, the Kindle 3 (aka Text Book) has also been rumored for months, as was the 9.7" screen. Various delays on the e-Ink screen, just started shipping, supposedly in April. I kind of wondered, the Kindle 2, while nice, seemed a very mild kicker. May be that Amazon got hung up waiting for the screen supply to become sufficient.

As to the price point, we'll see that tomorrow, along with everything else. I can understand that people with a Kindle 2 would be maybe a little miffed, but that's just the march of progress. Buy anything digital, within 6 months they'll be something better, maybe 2-3 years what you have will be totally obsolete. I say this, having bought an original IBM PC, waiting 6 months for it to ship, and paying over $3k. And then being happy when the PC-XT shipped (also $3k, but a HARD DISK ), and then the PC-AT (Faster, bigger hard disk, better displays, etc.., also at $3k), and so on. All vastly inferior to the HP I bought off the shelf for <$1k last Christmas. It's just the way of these things. Unhappy with a 6" K2 when the 9.7" K3 comes out? Well, just wait until next year, when the screen sizes will go up to 13.x", or a bit later when the color screens are available, etc., and the 9.7" buyers will then be unhappy.

Be happy, bigger screens were an impediment, eBooks will start to take off even more now that it's been improved. Our interest, as eBook owners, should be in seeing more eBook reader sales, which will in turn mean more eBooks.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #32
Palquito
Palquito began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post
As to the price point, we'll see that tomorrow, along with everything else. I can understand that people with a Kindle 2 would be maybe a little miffed, but that's just the march of progress. Buy anything digital, within 6 months they'll be something better, maybe 2-3 years what you have will be totally obsolete.
Yeah, but that's my point. It seems dishonest on their part to withhold information about the Kindle 3 (or whatever) when it was so close to being a reality. If it was so close, why not announce it back in February and let people decide what they want to buy? Nothing anyone has said here has convinced me that a three month upgrade cycle (after a previous cycle of more than a year) is not essentially screwing the customer. Amazon has made me sorry I bought their device so early. That can't be good marketing.
Palquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #33
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
It's the Kindle DX
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #34
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palquito View Post
Yeah, but that's my point. It seems dishonest on their part to withhold information about the Kindle 3 (or whatever) when it was so close to being a reality. If it was so close, why not announce it back in February and let people decide what they want to buy? Nothing anyone has said here has convinced me that a three month upgrade cycle (after a previous cycle of more than a year) is not essentially screwing the customer. Amazon has made me sorry I bought their device so early. That can't be good marketing.
oh geeze! get over yourself! I bought my Kindle 1 in November, the honeymoon was still fresh, and then BAM! there was a Kindle 2 with no warning.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It would have been bad business practice to pre-announce the Kindle DX. If Amazon had announced it and people didn't buy the K2 because of it and then the DX didn't come out on time for whatever reason or was canceled, it would have lost Amazon a lot of sales as these now pissed off people go get a device from some other company. The best time to announce a new product like the DX is when you actually have the DX to sell.

One thing I am wondering about is other company's devices that should have had a 9.7" screen. Is Amazon getting preferential treatment here? I'm thinking yes they are otherwise other companies would have their devices out by now as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #36
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I am wondering about is other company's devices that should have had a 9.7" screen. Is Amazon getting preferential treatment here? I'm thinking yes they are otherwise other companies would have their devices out by now as well.
They might be getting the first volume shipments, but other devices will presumably be available this summer. Sony was the first with the Vizplex screen by about a month (2 Oct 2007 vs 28 Oct, 2007 for the Cybook). The Kindle 1 followed in November 2007.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #37
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Yeah, but that's my point. It seems dishonest on their part to withhold information about the Kindle 3 (or whatever) when it was so close to being a reality....
Dude, there hasn't even been an official announcement yet. We have no idea when it will be available, or if it's even going to be made available to the general public. For all we know, it might not be for sale for another 3-4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palquito
Nothing anyone has said here has convinced me that a three month upgrade cycle (after a previous cycle of more than a year) is not essentially screwing the customer. Amazon has made me sorry I bought their device so early. That can't be good marketing.
Since the K2 (or the K1) are not rendered obsolete, no one is getting "screwed." Especially since I have little doubt that you could sell your K2 for a reasonable price and pick up the larger one when it's available.

In fact, unless you're a student and/or use a lot of manuals or textbooks, it's arguable that the new device will actually constitute an "improvement." Although not everyone would agree, I prefer having a small and therefore highly portable device.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #38
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Prior to the Kindle2 being released I had heard rumors that Amazon was going to release two new Kindles, and one was supposed to be a larger screen version. I was a bit disappointed when the Kindle 2 was officially announced because I was far more interested in the larger version. I decided not to upgrade and hold out for the larger version. (I.e. the rumors were out there).

However, I do have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that they decided to release the large screen version so soon. I also think it's pretty smart because it prevents competitors like Plastic Logic from taking away market share.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #39
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Although not everyone would agree, I prefer having a small and therefore highly portable device.
Same here. I just use it for leisure reading of regular books (no pdfs, newspapers, magazines etc.) so the screen size is fine and portability was an important feature for me.

But I think it's great there's a larger version coming for people who want one, and don't think anyone is getting ripped off. If someone wanted a larger reader they shouldn't have settled for a kindle 1 or 2 and just waited for a larger model to come out. Or at the least not be upset about having gotten some use out of a K1 or K2 that they can sell to put toward the larger model.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-06-2009 at 07:20 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #40
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
The idea of a larger screen for newspapers, magazines, etc is very appealing to me. The "regular" sized eBooks just do not feel natural with those types of media. That said, using a joystick to scroll around isn't natural either. I think a successful large format eReader needs to have multi-touch touch screen as well. Multi-touch would not be just for navigating either, but also to highlight text like you would a textbook. Publishers would also have to allow a certain amount of text to be printed out. Now that would be a huge hit.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #41
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I am quite happy with the K2 I have and don't have any plans to upgrade to the Kindle DX. If I was a student, I think I would be running to get one but for my purposes of reading good books, I am very satisfied. I do want to wish those of you who buy one good luck and as always, share your thoughts about the new Kindle DX once you have it and used it for a while.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #42
Palquito

DX is Up on Amazon.

So....yeah.

Really? I'm the only person here that's annoyed by this? Everyone else has been dumping on me, so I'll assume so.

I've been around computers a long time (I'm 38); I'm also a electronics nerd. I've been an early adopter for many things and I know the risks. But I want people here to admit that Amazon just announced a Kindle that's superior to the Kindle 2 in every measurable sense for a mere $120 more. 3 months after they announced the Kindle 2.

Bigger screen, more memory, auto-rotate, pdf support.

Face it, we early adopters got burned this time.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
So....yeah.

Really? I'm the only person here that's annoyed by this? Everyone else has been dumping on me, so I'll assume so.

I've been around computers a long time (I'm 38); I'm also a electronics nerd. I've been an early adopter for many things and I know the risks. But I want people here to admit that Amazon just announced a Kindle that's superior to the Kindle 2 in every measurable sense for a mere $120 more. 3 months after they announced the Kindle 2.

cry me a river
Attached Images

krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #44
Palquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
cry me a river
Thanks, Krisk. Very mature response that addressed all my points in a thoughtful, cogent manner. I think we'll all be happier if I quit this forum now.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So....yeah.

I disagree. I think you'd be best off waiting for someone else to come out with a device with a large screen that has ePub support and a way to organize content. Can you imagine 3500 eBooks with no way to organize them. What a mess. And no ePub is telling the world that PDF is good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote