Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Kindle DXG PDF support

I am helping a friend decide which ereader to buy. He wants to use it to read/view mostly PDFs that are not text, but scans of the original (mostly old books from before the 1700s). Does the Kindle DXG display picture PDFs well? If not, do you know of an ereader that does?

Thanks.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It does pretty good job of picture PDFs, if you need to zoom it does OK job, but little slow for high res scans
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVPBCD0GgBw

the software wise is the same as the older DX... it'll just be faster and have better contrast
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should advise your friend to also consider the iPad. It is excellent for this kind of thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Yes, the iPad has several apps for viewing and annotating PDF's.
I make my own, with illustrations, and it doesn't take a lot of technical knowhow to display them (in colour) on the iPad. That system is almost foolproof.
Only negative: weight, price and inability to read on in the sun..
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
)
Only negative: weight, price and inability to read on in the sun..
Yes a major problem because everybody reads PDF's in the sun
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Thank you all for the info. I have recommended that my friend look at getting an iPad, but I would also like to find a cheaper solution. Thanks for the video paperwastage!
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Thank you all for the info. I have recommended that my friend look at getting an iPad, but I would also like to find a cheaper solution. Thanks for the video paperwastage!
I think you should consider a Kindle DX Graphite. Works quite well with big PDFS. And don't forget an iPad has a significant lower resolution than a Kindle DX Gr.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The current SW support for PDFs on DXG is buggier than an anthill.

I had several PDFs that a) took minutes to load, and b) locked up the DXG. The same PDFs work fine on the K3, but are useless due to the smaller screen, and scrolling is a real PIA and slow.

I bought a DXG and sent it back to Amazon for this reason. Until they update the DX software to the same level as the K3, I would not recommend a DX for anyone who wants to use it for PDFs.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
I actually have a very real problem trying to see anything at all on my laptop or LCD monitor screen certain times of day because of the way the light shines through the windows. Particularly in winter here in Minnesota, I don't like to draw the blinds all the time--sunshine is a pretty precious commodity come January.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Quote:

Everybody likes options...except Apple users, of course.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
The Pocketbook 902 or the Pocketbook 903 with touchscreen could also prove to be interesting for your friend. It's PDF support and size should be very good for what your friend is planning to do with it.

http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_902.html
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verres View Post
The Pocketbook 902 or the Pocketbook 903 with touchscreen could also prove to be interesting for your friend. It's PDF support and size should be very good for what your friend is planning to do with it.

http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_902.html
Aghh,

Quote:
Item #: PB_902_Comfort
Can not ship to: Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
Ohey, would not have been shorter?, we only sell to family and neighbors KNOWN

is the first site I see that instead of stating, for sale only in USA, (and I fear that without stock units ) indicate all the countries where they do not sell, perhaps hoping that the reader read fast and think "that if that sell it on their land "... no guarantees

Quote:
I thinking: - ... there are a dozen large models that can be named, techno-smoke, much much much, but next year, or a crazy price, or really do not operating for the general public. only advertising, fairs expensive cars ... (only 100 units for some youtubes movies)
ILLiad crash, asus 950 Not exits, exits Not Samsung, LG Not exits ...

Amazon Kindle exit onle DX, but not read the damn files with password. (K3 yes)...

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 02:48 PM.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
Everybody likes options...except Apple users, of course.
LOL . (yeap)

Spoiler:
No need, S. Job plan for all ... only need $ €

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
KRorschachZ
Update

Quote:
well, I saying that "not necessary" that there a sunny day; read DX graphite kindle a cloudy day, is quite impressive, better that i hope... contrast it´s perfect... and not hot crash , uhmm, I think even better than a sunny day ...

If we add the days sunny and cloudy days, in fact everybody reads pdf files every day ...

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-08-2010 at 02:16 PM.