Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Action/Adventure

I've been wanting to read some action adventure lately. there was a one season show on TV many years ago called something like "The Brass Monkey." It had Bruce Boxleitner as a pilot of a seaplane who spent a lot of time being shot at by Japanese soldiers and spies. I've been looking for somethin like that. Sort of a popcorn of the mind sort of read. Anything come to mind?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have just the thing. I got it from Fictionwise. It's called Invasion from Uranus.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I have just the thing. I got it from Fictionwise. It's called Invasion from Uranus.
I've got that one. It was funny! What I'm looking for, though is more of the Indiana Jones precursors. The bold, daring hero with the boon companions who sally forth to discover new vistas and also kick commie/Nazi/Imerialist butts.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Have you read the Alan Quartermane books? King Solomon's Mines, etc?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Harry's put a lot of Haggard's stuff on MR - including all the Alan Quartermain ones
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I've been wanting to read some action adventure lately. there was a one season show on TV many years ago called something like "The Brass Monkey." It had Bruce Boxleitner as a pilot of a seaplane who spent a lot of time being shot at by Japanese soldiers and spies. I've been looking for somethin like that. Sort of a popcorn of the mind sort of read. Anything come to mind?
Ummm, I think you are thinking Tales of the Gold Monkey staring Stephen Collins.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any particular book to recommend though, sorry.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Have you read the Alan Quartermane books? King Solomon's Mines, etc?
Just what I wanted to recommend when i saw the thread.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Ummm, I think you are thinking Tales of the Gold Monkey staring Stephen Collins.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any particular book to recommend though, sorry.

--
Bill
Could of swore that was Boxleitner. Wiki says that it was originally called Tales of the Brass Monkey, but later changed, so I was sorta right.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
How about The Prisoner of Zenda (and its sequel Rupert of Hentzau) by Anthony Hope? You can find it here under the name "Ruritania Duology". Its a fast-paced, swashbuckling adventure. Think of it as The Three Musketeers-lite

If that's too early in time for you, there are some Robert E. Howard stories here at Mobileread too; I think the Costigan anthology might suit you.

If you were thinking more along the lines of serial pulp adventures, there are a number of stories featuring The Crimson Avenger, The Shadow, The Spider (there is a Baen CD for The Spider too), though sadly I don't think there is any Doc Savage available. Look for books uploaded by DrDrib and you will find a nice selection here.

Edit:

Oh yeah, you can also try King of the Khyber Rifles by Talbot Mundy about a secret agent for the British in India just after the turn of the century.

Last edited by radius; 10-29-2008 at 04:33 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Could of swore that was Boxleitner. Wiki says that it was originally called Tales of the Brass Monkey, but later changed, so I was sorta right.
Actually, at about the same time as Gold Monkey, Boxleitner starred in a show called "Bring 'Em Back Alive," or some such, as an adventurer-slash-big game hunter or something. That's probably why you've confused them. It lasted an even shorter period than Tales of the Gold Monkey, which I loved to watch... my friends called it the "Jake and Jack show." "No, no, Jake... one bark means 'Yes'! Right, Jack?" "Woof!"

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I have more of a military/political leaning when it comes to action thrillers. Tom Clancy rates highly by me. Most of my other "spy" novelists are not popcorn-weight.

I have two authors that are lower-brow, call them guilty pleasures, but in the same vein -- Brad Thor and John Ringo. Ringo's 'Paladin of Shadows' sequence (starts with Ghost) is definitely popcorn-weight but only palatable if you can endure excess patriotism and invincible heroes.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I have more of a military/political leaning when it comes to action thrillers. Tom Clancy rates highly by me. Most of my other "spy" novelists are not popcorn-weight.

I have two authors that are lower-brow, call them guilty pleasures, but in the same vein -- Brad Thor and John Ringo. Ringo's 'Paladin of Shadows' sequence (starts with Ghost) is definitely popcorn-weight but only palatable if you can endure excess patriotism and invincible heroes.
Unless you have a very strong tolerance for kinky sex and BDSM you might want to start Ringo's series with the second book, Kildar. Ringo himself has repeatedly said that he wrote Ghost because he couldn't write anything else until it was finished and he had no intention of publishing it.

One can also try Ted Bell's Hawke books - which are also action/adventure with politics and an invincible hero.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
How about The Prisoner of Zenda
I've been spending too long in the Lounge - I read that as "The Prisoner of ZeLda"
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I've been spending too long in the Lounge - I read that as "The Prisoner of ZeLda"
i'll take that as a compliment.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Harry's put a lot of Haggard's stuff on MR - including all the Alan Quartermain ones
Not just "a lot" of Haggard's stuff, but all his fiction (60+ novels) is in my 16 volume Haggard series . To my mind Haggard is as good as any modern "thriller" writer, and he invented the genre of the "lost civilisation" which, I must confess, I have a real soft spot for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote