Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #91
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
New version 3.4.5:

Code:
 - Ignore .kdb files starting with a dot (.)
minor modification requested by Vladimir Popkov
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #92
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
sym keyboard

Not terribly useful, but sharing it for fun anyway.

I played even more with the unicode character set and I created a symbol keyboard which is a superset of my previous french and accent keyboards.

Warning: I did my best but not all key presses are obvious your brain might hurt. Here are examples of an amazing set of symbols you can now type in on a simple K3 physical keyboard:
Click image for larger version

Name:	symkeyboard.kbd.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	99284

Thanks again dsmid.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2013-01-12 PoP's keyboards for v3.4.5.zip (8.4 KB, 367 views)
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #93
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some more keyboards (and one problem)

Some more keyboards:

Today, I was bored and obsessed, I decided to go beyond my previous symbol keyboard while ̵p̵l̵a̵y̵i̵n̵̵g̵ ̵w̵i̵t̵h̵ learning the intricacies of the unicode diacritical combining characters so I coded a diacritics keyboard

On my PC, even with the Aarial Unicode MS font (one of the the most comprehensive Unicode font) not everything is rendered properly (this is to be expected since "...as of 2010, few applications support correct rendering of such combinations..."). On the Kindle matters are only worse Click image for larger version

Name:	diakeyboard.kbd.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	99782 Can't do much with this...

But maybe a subset of visible, well placed marks might let you do some artwork like: Zͣͤͧ̈́ͣ҉̨ͅȦ̴̩̱̗͖̰̮͎̻̅͠Ḷ̖̳̽͗̐͘͟G̶̛̝̟͕̓ͪ̂ͅͅO͊ͤͫ̆̕҉̞ ̫͓̠

Nah. Too much to expect from a Kindle:Click image for larger version

Name:	zalgokeyboard.kbd.gif
Views:	431
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	99784
I respectfully named this keyboard zalgo, in memory of that hellish corner of the unicode character set.

And one problem:

@dsmid nothing very important, but for your consideration: The .kbd entries can't have constructs of the form #xxx=#xxx, They are parsed but considered comments.

For example, in my physical keyboard I wanted to use the following to invert the Vol+ and Vol- buttons.
Code:
#61445=#v115
#61446=#v114
And in my volume keyboard I wanted
to set volume to the minimum by coding
Code:
#61445#61445=#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114
or alternately
mm=#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2013-01-20 PoP's keyboards for 3.4.5.zip (275.5 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by PoP; 01-24-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: zalgoified text inline (rather than attaching a jpg)
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #94
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
@dsmid nothing very important, but for your consideration: The .kbd entries can't have constructs of the form #xxx=#xxx, They are parsed but considered comments.

For example, in my physical keyboard I wanted to use the following to invert the Vol+ and Vol- buttons.
Code:
#61445=#v115
#61446=#v114
This should be possible, but I think your example causes an endless recursion:
Vol- -> Vol+ -> Vol- -> Vol+ -> ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
And in my volume keyboard I wanted
to set volume to the minimum by coding
Code:
#61445#61445=#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114
or alternately
mm=#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114#v114
There can be only one # expression (and nothing else) in the key or in the value. To remove this constraint, I would have to completely rewrite the hack as the event handling is not prepared for such definitions.
The same thing (setting volume level to certain value) can be achieved by using launchpad.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #95
PoP

Klingon keyboard.

For good measure included here is a klingon keyboard from its latin transliteration
Code:
a b ch D e gh H I j l m n ng o p q Q r S t tlh u v w y ' 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 , _ *
to the pIqaD glyphs. Really!
Click image for larger version

Name:	kl keyboard.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	102141
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2013-02-28 PoP's keyboards for 3.4.5.zip (288.5 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by PoP; 03-17-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Substituted a pseudo-klingon to a vulcan (by respect)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #96
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
*does rocks hands*....

hmm... I think I will also read up on how to actually USE that
just to be extra impressed : D

plus you never know when a Klingon my need to borrow your kindle I always think.

Last edited by twobob; 02-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #97
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

was the k4 version ever finished?

https://code.google.com/p/kindle-cs/...ocalization-k4

for this guy...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209041

That would work right?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #98
PoP

Mirror keyboard

Recent activity here got me thinking. So, while DSMID is being productive?! I just wasted some time.

Included in my collection, find this new miror keyboard only useful to play with glyphs, while constraining yourself to the limits of the ASCII character set, while anwsering posts from the experimental browser...well, not really but you can try it.

db
qp
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2013-02-24 PoP's keyboards for 3.4.5.zip (290.1 KB, 328 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #99
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
was the k4 version ever finished?

https://code.google.com/p/kindle-cs/...ocalization-k4

for this guy...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209041

That would work right?

Thanks!!!
localization-k4 is a tree containing Czech localization of Kindle 4.
As Kindle 4 does not have a keyboard, K4 version of physkeyb is not included, keyboard localization is handled differently (by modifying key selection dialogue contents).
Physkeyb works by inserting a KeyEvent handler in the chain, even if it would work the same way on K4 (I doubt it), you would need to deobfuscate the framework code first to find the correct names of involved classes and change Physkeyb code accordingly.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #100
twobob

Deobfuscation I can handle.

I knew what the code does as I exploded the installer using kindletool and then just eyeballed the classes in gedit. Even as "compressed classes" the strings gave away what their function were.

I did try hunting around for some details on the k4's internal "Key" operation but it seems to be a largely overlooked device.

Okay well the OP was busy ripping apart his k4 I believe last night so let's see what some more reading of their efforts today brings. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this. It is appreciated.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #101
Yasen6275
Yasen6275 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Should I edit cs-sk.kbd for alternate layout or i could write my own and remove cs-sk.
Yasen6275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #102
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasen6275 View Post
Should I edit cs-sk.kbd for alternate layout or i could write my own and remove cs-sk.
You can freely delete cs-sk.kbd and create any number of your own layouts.
The file names just have to end with .kbd.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #103
yfchow
yfchow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyborad 3
Help again for non-functioning 5 way controller

Hi,
I am new to hacking kindle. But I need to because my kindle keyboard 5 way controller did not move most of the time. It is a hardware problem. All other keys are functioning. I followed the threads from Dsmid responding Telharmonium.
I finished jail break it in order to have keys assigned to the 5 way controller.
Thanks to Dsmid that i used the version of update_physkeyb_3.4.6-cs-sk_k3g_install.bin.
After update ( I am lucky to able to do this once), I can have the following folders:
.active-content-data, audible, documents, extensions, keyboard, linkjail, music, system, usbnet.
For the keyboard folder, I got cs-sk.kbd, install, kindle.kbd, and layout files. There is no keyboard.txt file.
Just wonder what should I do next in order to map the awdxs to 5 way controller. Please help.
Thanks.
yfchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #104
dsmid
Linux devotee

Just edit cs-sk.kbd, delete all its contents besides enabledonstart and label keys, change the label to anything you wish and add some 5-way controller alternative keys like this:
Code:
w=#f103
x=#f108
a=#f105
d=#f106
s=#f194
Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 AM   #105
yfchow
yfchow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyborad 3
Thanks. I get the keyboard assigned to 5 way controller. That works for my kindle. I can enjoy reading via the kindle again.
How to further modify the file if I can type back the small letter axwds in other situations? on and off for this allocation.
yfchow is offline   Reply With Quote