Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #226
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
hagerdoc: Well, I have the libzip package installed (under Gentoo), and it doesn't help. Possibly, I would need to figure out how to tell the Kobo software where the libzip I have is. But anyway, I don't want to bother if all I need to do is do an initial setup with Windows, and then treat it like a USB device afterwards, and use Wifi for firmware upgrades.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #227
TBBle
TBBle began at the beginning.

If a Linux application is having trouble finding libraries, use the 'ldd' command on it, and it should tell you what libraries it's looking for (at least the ones it needs to start) and that will give you a clue as to why it's not finding your installed libzip.
TBBle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #228
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I've run ldd on it in the past, but it only tells me what it can't find. I don't know how to tell the executable "go find libzip over here". Or, there could be a version mismatch.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #229
TBBle
TBBle began at the beginning.

If your libzip is somewhere particularly odd, you need to point either your ld config file (/etc/ld.so.conf usually) to use that, or work out why your libzip is somewhere odd and fix that. (I'd usually prefer the latter...)

It's more likely though that your libzip is a different soversion (the number after the first dot, e.g. the 1 in libz.so.1) from the one that ldd tells you the program is looking for. So you'd need to install the required version to make it work.
TBBle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #230
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance of getting this to run under Gentoo (64-bit)? I just tried to unpack the .deb and run the files within, but it says:

Thanks for even thinking about Linux, though, it is impressive indeed.
You need to have the 32 bit lipzip1 files installed. If you read a few pages prior to your posts, you should find instructions on downloading and installing the 32 bit versions of the libzip1 .deb.
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #231
pistoncito
pistoncito began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
dropbox link doesn't work. I'm looking for the old version of the desktop app (I had the first kobo model). Is there another download link available?

Thanks
pistoncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #232
Jedibeeftrix
Jedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityJedibeeftrix has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Nokia N9 Meego/Harmattan
does the fact that kobo is written with QT and works on linux have any implications for Nokia N9 support on the meego/harmatton platform?

i have not yet committed to any e-book service, but i'd be sold in an instant if i can read my ebooks on my (soon to be owned) N9!
Jedibeeftrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #233
snmilliken
snmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of lightsnmilliken is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo,Kobo Vox & BB Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncito View Post
dropbox link doesn't work. I'm looking for the old version of the desktop app (I had the first kobo model). Is there another download link available?

Thanks
Yes still not up and working. Anyone have another link?
snmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #234
unwinmike
unwinmike began at the beginning.

Linux and Kobo

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit just got my Kobo Touch today and using wine the Desktop starts and then stops at Step 1,seems so close to working.The reader appears on the Ubuntu desktop and I can download and drag and dop to the folder and the Kobo reader opens the book fine.Would be nice if there was a linux version that any one could run. Sent off a PM today as well.Cheers Mike
unwinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM   #235
unwinmike

So I followed the link for the linux version and it is worse than the windows one,the linux one under applications places"Other" then Kobo reader.But does not run.The windows version under wine at least runs till Step one,does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #236
Pistos
Connoisseur

unwinmike: FWIW, I'm not sure I'd bother trying to use the Kobo Desktop software. I just used it once at the very beginning to sync up and register and get the latest firmware, but have never connected to it since. I exclusively use plain USB storage mounting under linux and ADE for library books. If you want, you can even try Calibre, which works fine under Linux. Lots of options. I'm a bit surprised the Linux version of the Desktop software didn't work for you, though, because many people have reported success under Ubuntu and Debian.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #237
unwinmike

Thanks Pistos, thats what I have been doing downloading the file then drag and dropping it into the KOBO icon.But if there is another upgrade I will probably be out of luck since it won,t sync.I am a mechanic by trade so I need to go the "dumb" route with a pre made program.The linux one I reloaded 3 times and nothing happens when I click on the Kobo icon in the Applications area.I have kept the updates current,so will have to wait this one out.Thanks Mike
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #238
Pistos
Connoisseur

The Kobo Touch ought to be able to upgrade its firmware over WiFi. You don't need the Desktop software to do that after the very first upgrade. Even so, it is possible to upgrade the firmware by just moving the firmware zip file to the right spot (/.kobo/ directory, I think?). Search these MR forums, it's been discussed.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #239
unwinmike

Ubuntu and Kobo

Okay thanks I had mine to the Haliburton libaray yesterday and the wifi worked perfect.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #240
allenmaher
allenmaher began at the beginning.

I installed thus under ubuntu 11.04 and used it for a while, liked the service and purchased the touch reader. It is a nice device. Unfortunately I have been unable to use the linux version of desktop since upgrading to 11.10 beta, the 32 bit libraries are very different in this release for 64 bit users. Is there any chance a 64 bit version is on the way?

Thanks again Kobo Developers for supporting linux... it won you a customer that you would not otherwise have had.

(a formal repository with your updates would also be nice... if you have the time)
allenmaher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software