Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Under the Dome

Just finished Under the dome, by Stephen King. Found it quite interesting; to the point where I found myself reading well past my bed-time, & had trouble putting it down. While I've seen several of the movies made from his books, this is the first book of his that I've read - but it won't be the last. Think I"ll start on Rose Red (favorite movie from his books) if I can find it in e-book (epub preferably).
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
That book is next on my list :-)
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I recommend you try The Stand or It. Arguably these are his best.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Actually I just downloaded The Stand, so it will probably be next on my list to read.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've been eying this one ever since reading some of the better reviews. Borders has a coupon for 50% off the paperback (which comes out tomorrow). But how are they going to cram that ginormous book into a paperback, even a large format $9.99 paperback? It might be easier on my eyes to check the prices on the e-book once the paperback is released.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
My opinion about it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I've been a fan of Stephen King for a long time and I just this past Christmas read The Stand.

I think my favorite book of his is The Shining, but It is great too.. I also like the Dark Tower series.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Nothing generally against King, but I found *Under the Dome* an unbelievable drag ... and only finished because I'd started. A struggle, though. I think I preferred the *Simpsons The Movie* version. As Cassidy says, though, *The Stand* is a masterpiece and much of King's work is nothing short of excellent. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
I quit reading King after Tommy Knockers. But this one sounded intriguing so I paid the 9.99 advanced purchase price and plodded my way though it. My first impression is that King is still recycling "personalities" from all his other novels. And it is getting old. His stories are all starting to read alike. So I think I am done with him. Time to move on.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Give Duma Key a try. It is a pretty good, recent SK story.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
A friend gave me her DTB of Duma Key and it is sitting in a pile TBR. May get to it at some point.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by Duma Key. I borrowed it from the library and I'm glad I didn't buy it because I'll never want to read it again but it was okay.

Un-PC as it is, Stephen King did his best writing, in my humble opinion, when he was an addict. But of course I'd rather have him alive and healthy.

Last edited by banjobama; 07-06-2010 at 09:19 PM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
I liked under the dome also. The Stand was my favorite King novel... but if you have a lot of time, i would also recommend the dark tower series (it gets better after the first book!)
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
Mary McDonald
Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Mary McDonald can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle app for pc
I'm not normally a King fan, except for his non-horror stories, so this one caught my interest last December. I bought it for my dad for Christmas. Yes, I knew that I'd get to read it too eventually. lol. Anyway, I enjoyed the book and stayed up way too late reading it. If it's going to come out for an e-reader, I'd recommend reading it that way. It physically hurt my hands to hold this monster, especially while reading in bed.
Mary McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***My first impression is that King is still recycling "personalities" from all his other novels***

Interesting that you should say that, Paegan. I remember reading many, many years ago interviews with Stephen King and Frank Herbert who were among the first to start using word processors instead of typewriters and primitive computers rather than filing cabinets with potted plants on top.

Both admitted that they had found, through the technology, that they could easily jot down characters and scenes over a period of months (perhaps now years) and file them under randomly chosen working titles. When they discovered that one file had plenty of characters, storylines and scenes in it, they would then pull up all their notes, dream up a plot and simply tie everything pre-written around it.

Personally, I don't think this is cheating: I think it makes sound sense for a productive author under pressure from major houses with fixed genre in mind and with too much time spent on (contracted) on-the-road promotional tours. On the other hand, I guess there is a danger of stock overload creeping into new titles, as you seem to have noticed.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Paegan. Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote