Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Anhunedd
Anhunedd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
MS Reader - No activations - no support

OK, after some ideas on what to do now...

Every 2 months or so, on trying to open up a secure LIT file, my MS Reader pops up with the error:

"The digital security software that protects this eBook has been updated. You must re-activate in order to open this title. Please go to www.microsoft.com/reader/update for additional information."

This usually works, but now it is telling me I have used up all my quota of 6 activations. Which, given I've only ever been using one PC, is wrong.

I am able to ask for another activation to be added. But that form doesn't work - it is unable to connect to the server to do so. And even then, the form clearly says that I can only ask for one additional activation every 180 days - and as MS Reader decides it needs updating every 2 months or so on my PC, that is going to go wrong next time.

I've tried the MS Support page, and MS Reader isn't listed in the drop down box. There's a direct link on a thread a bit further down on this forum, but that just jumps to the general support page where I have to select the product - which doesn't exist according to MS.

Now I realise I am trapped in DRM hell here, but has anyone else had this problem and got it sorted?

DRM - all it ever does is make the proper paying customer's life hell.
Anhunedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I vaguely remember a page that permits to disable some PC's for activation...
I'll search and come back !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
That doesn't sound normal. My copy of Reader isn't bugging me to update. In fact, as far as I know, Microsoft hasn't updated the software for a few years now. Heck, I've even forgotten the log-in credentials I used to activate it so I remove DRM from every purchase and keep DRM-free back-up copies in case the PC where I installed MS Reader dies or something.

Assuming you still have access to your ebooks, what I would do is use ConvertLIT to remove DRM from the ebooks (don't explode to oebps, just remove DRM). Then, uninstall Microsoft Reader completely from your computer. Don't know if it leaves any traces but maybe you should do a search or something to remove all traces of the program. Then just download the latest copy from Microsoft's website, do a clean install on your PC and activate.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Argh ! They changed their site !
And I don't think I have saved the page !
Now you could try this with an explanation of your issue...
Then, as soon as your account is unlocked, I would do as ilovejedd said, un-DRM your files with ConvertLIT !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd;
That doesn't sound normal. My copy of Reader isn't bugging me to update. In fact, as far as I know, Microsoft hasn't updated the software for a few years now. Heck, I've even forgotten the log-in credentials I used to activate it so I remove DRM from every purchase and keep DRM-free back-up copies in case the PC where I installed MS Reader dies or something.

Assuming you still have access to your ebooks, what I would do is use ConvertLIT to remove DRM from the ebooks (don't explode to oebps, just remove DRM).
Yes, I do the same - have not had the update issue - But- the last .LIT file I de DRMed & converted with calibre crashed & rebooted my sony 505. It would not go past the first few pages without a bit of fiddling - remember the Sony Rootkit saga! - have they shot themselves in the foot again! this time with the help of uncle Bill!!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My activated copy of MS Reader one day just suddenly stopped being able to handle DRM infected LIT files. But since I had already gotten the key to use with ConvertLIT, all I do is strip the DRM right after download and I'm all set. I have no idea why it stopped working. But, since I can strip off the DRM, it's no bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote