Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Snauzoo
Enthusiast
Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Large File Conversion MOBI -> ePub Hangs at 67%

I have a huge MOBI file - it is a set of books, four volumes. For some reason it is one big file (about 7 MB) and it will not covert past 67%. I have no problem converting other type files on my system such as FLAC to m4a ALAC, where the files are ten times that size, so I do not think it is my computer, but it is possible that this needs more resources than dbPoweramp I can get it to open in the reader, but paging through it is annoying and I do not want to sit atthe desk and read 7000+ pages when I have a nice warm iPad sitting at my chairside. Any ideas? I have done lots of conversions already and never saw the program hang. That said, this was the first one I tried after downloading the newest version. to any one who has an idea for me.

ETA: was using an older sony vaio laptop 2 ghz with 1g ram - so tried it on a brand new dell dual core 4 ghz with 2 g ram and it got stuck in the exact same place - just got there faster

Last edited by Snauzoo; 06-06-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: to add additional information
Snauzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The percentage figures are only a guide and can stick at some points even when work is being done. I seem to remember the 67% figure being one of those points. It may be just a case of leaving it long enough -it is not unknown for conversion of large books to take hours (particularly if the source is a bit messy)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The basic rule for conversions is that as long as there is no error message, it's still working and you should just let it finish.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Snauzoo
Enthusiast
Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snauzoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Having never seen an error message, I assume these are popup types with an exclamation mark or some such? Never got those.... so assuming then it may just need time. I will be gone for several hrs today so will try again. Two hrs was not enough. I did snare the show work of current job window before stopping it and noticed that it exceeded the allowable TOC entries. Other than that, I saw no obvious errors. Gonna try once more, and will let you know how it goes. Hopefully win this time.

Thank you to both of you for replying.

ETA -- success!!! Patience was all it took. And 203 minutes on the slow puter. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by Snauzoo; 06-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Snauzoo is offline   Reply With Quote