Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #46
WChvrs
WChvrs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 incoming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
One of my contacts in the US said the guy he talked to at Borders said that the coupon had cleaned them out of stock. Just goes to show you that $200 is the price at which buying an e-reader becomes a no-brainer.
My email confirmation of my order did say it was on back order, guess I got in just in time!
WChvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #47
gnawingonfoot
worthless joat
gnawingonfoot began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Handspring Visor Neo
The Borders I work at still has plenty in stock, but I just picked up the last red one for myself. If the Borders closest to you is out of stock, call them up and ask them to check the inventories of other stores in the area for you.

Last edited by gnawingonfoot; 06-10-2009 at 08:27 PM.
gnawingonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #48
kmvargo
kmvargo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Been researching the Sony's for a couple of weeks now. Liked the 505 but liked the speed and touchscreen of the 700. Borders had them both on display and the 700 was priced at $349 (505 was $299). Was really going towards the 700 because of the added features and the $50 difference. I went to Borders again today to see how the readers worked with my pdf files (wasn't go to buy one if it didn't do what I wanted). I was testing them out when the salesman asked if I needed help. I said no but asked if I got the email about the sale price. I said no and he asked if I as a Borders Reward member - yes. He said I should have got one. I told him I never received it. He couldn't print it out but hand route the coupon code out for me. I decided I would get one ($150 difference) and he went to get me one. My luck, they were out. 3 others stores were out but he was told one store had a bunch of them. He called and I got lucky to reserve the last one - these things are flying out the door at $200! Drove 45 minutes, bought it and am just starting to play with it.

BTW - Staples will have the 505 starting tomorrow, 6/14, $269. Not $200 but still a good deal.
kmvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #49
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I found the 505 on Amazon for $249.99

Blue: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRS-505-L...4944806&sr=8-2

Silver: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRS-505-P...ce_ai_-2_2_tit

Red: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Reader-Di...ref=pd_sim_e_2

They ship from a different store, but you can order them through Amazon. Amazon ended up being the cheapest place I found when I got my 505, and I think I paid $269. I also found the lightwedge on there for the cheapest price at $49.99.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #50
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Anything you buy through Amazon that they don't sell usually has postage applied to it. That would bring the price back up a bit. I will say though that I have gotten really good service from every place that I have ordered from through Amazon.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #51
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

right there would be s/h. I actually got free s/h when I ordered the reader itself, but when I got the lightwedge, the lightwedge was $45 and s/h was $4.99 so it still came out to to be $49.99, and the best deal that I could find.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #52
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
offer expires soon

I printed the coupon off the borders website. It says that it expires 6/14/09, so not much time left on this offer, unless they extend it.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #53
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Does anyone sense this might be a nice way to reduce floor and warehouse stock in order to release a couple new readers? Excellent deal if in the market for a Sony. Especially with Calibre out there to manage the content of the device.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #54
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem seems to be finding a store that hasthem, judging from these posts.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #55
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think my local is down to the 700's, which doesn't surprise me at all. With all apologies to Cybook and Hanlin owners, Amazon and Sony are the big fish in the pond right now-- and this just pushed a lot of buyers toward Sony.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #56
benham
Guru

We are moving in a few weeks. Once we are moved I will make it my assignment to learn about DRM as it sounds like familiarity with that is central to understanding Greek.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #57
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
We are moving in a few weeks. Once we are moved I will make it my assignment to learn about DRM as it sounds like familiarity with that is central to understanding Greek.
I just make sure I get a format that is compatible with the 505 and I do not even have to worry about stripping the DRM. It saves me ALOT of headache. I can just load my books onto my reader, and I'm ready to read! 2 minutes to download them to the reader, as opposed to 30 minutes to strip, convert, and downloading...not to mention the time I would have to spend FIGURING OUT how to do it the first time. Not something I'm really interested in.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #58
benham
Guru

I like that idea too! All I want to do is read books.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #59
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
I just make sure I get a format that is compatible with the 505 and I do not even have to worry about stripping the DRM. It saves me ALOT of headache. I can just load my books onto my reader, and I'm ready to read! 2 minutes to download them to the reader, as opposed to 30 minutes to strip, convert, and downloading...not to mention the time I would have to spend FIGURING OUT how to do it the first time. Not something I'm really interested in.
It takes less then a minute and the freedom of shopping anywhere you want is great. I buy a lot from CyberRead because they are great in constantly having 40% to 50% off coupons (so eventhough their priced seems high when the coupon is applied, they usually beat Amazon prices)! I buy Mobi and strip the DRM and put the books on my Kindle and PRS-505. I use to shop at the Sony store but once I learned how to format shift, I have not shop at Sony since August of 2008! I shop at Amazon, CyberRead, eHaqrlequin, and BooksOnBoard. I buy Mobi, Lit, and Epud; it really does not matter since I can format shift all 3. I don't like PDF because the reflow can make the book ugly but I would buy it 4th if the other 3 were not available. I guess the freedom in learning how to do this make it worth while. It can be frustrating and time consuming trying to learn it at first but once you do it's very simple and quick!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #60
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
I'm so proud of my technologically-impaired mother...she decided to take advantage of the sale and bought one! *wipes away tear* I'm so proud of her!

Of course, I spent most of the past weekend putting books on the reader and showing her how to use it, but these are minor concerns.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote