Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Adobe DE "decrypts" fonts with XOR

I noticed Adobe had some new documents up on the "Digital Publishing Technology" section of their website, including the intriguingly-named "Protecting Embedded Fonts in EPUB Documents." It does in fact describe what the title suggests -- how the EPUB files produced by InDesign "encrypt" embedded fonts and how Adobe DE reads them back. And yep, the method is XOR -- just XOR the first 1024 bytes of the font-files with the big-endian form of the first "urn:uuid:" <dc:identifier/> in the OPF metadata.

I'm trying to decide what I think of this. It isn't going to prevent a single EPUB reading application author from being able to load embedded fonts, but it probably will stop people from just casually yanking copyrighted OpenType fonts out of random e-books. I think it may actually be quite clever of them.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh adding more layers of complexity just to keep the lawyers happy.

EDIT: Though I have to say that if they succeed in redefining copyright as "The prevention of casual copying", I will be thrilled.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-05-2008 at 08:06 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote