Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #46
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Next Kobo iOS Update Requires iOS 5.0+

Next Kobo iOS Update Requires iOS 5.0+

Our upcoming Kobo app (version 5.7) has been developed for iOS 5.0 and later. If you don’t already have iOS 5.0 or later, you can upgrade your device for free using iTunes, as follows:

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer.
2. Open iTunes.
3. Under Devices, click your iOS device.
4. Under Summary, click Update.
5. Follow the prompts to install the latest version of iOS.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #47
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo v5.7 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v5.7 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
★ Support for iOS 6
★ Added support for Portuguese
★ New progress indicator shows how far you are into the book
★ Tap-and-hold in the margins to quickly flip through the book
★ Access book-specific reading stats, including estimated time left to finish (iPad)
★ Added new fonts: Avenir (iOS 6), Cochin, Helvetica, Optima, and Palatino
★ Custom shelves are now synced to the cloud
★ Added a 'Finished' shelf that automatically tracks the books you've completed
★ Performance improvements & bug fixes
Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #48
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Some nice looking features in the iOS app

Just a shame Kobo dont show this type of commitment to the Android version
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I believe it is more a matter of which device gets there first and figuring out the problems with one thing or another that will come into play for all of the apps. I seriously doubt that the ultimate plans are different for the various platforms.

It also doesn't help that Kobo is currently building for two different flavours of Android with very different capabilities. When both thier own device and the Play store Android App are doing the v 4.x, things may improve. I wonder if their biggest installed base is on iOS devices, at the moment?

Last edited by taming; 09-19-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: sloppy me
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #50
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would probably go with what you said about iOS user base being bigger

For me iOS & Android app should be made as similar as possible, iOS sees the new features then it takes a very long time for the Android app to see minor changes

from what I can see, the Android app needs ICS or higher, so that is not catering for older hardware on earlier Android versions (supports 2 versions of Android)
iOS app needs 5.x or higher (supported on 2 versions of iOS)

Understandable about the Vox software as this is older and doesnt get updated that often but aslong as syncing works with it then fine

my main gripe (above post) is just about the iOS/Android app, not including dedicated readers

sorry for the rant
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #51
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
@paulsalter: I know that Kobo is working to standardize, as much as possible, the experience folks have using the various apps. They now have one senior staff person who is responsible for all of the app teams who who also has that responsibility. Things are bound to get complicated when the various OS developers make changes without checking to see how convenient it is for their competitors.

It probably doesn't help that the play store is not inclined to let developers make available different versions for different OS releases of an app and that the sea change that the 4.x releases were make backward compatibility a huge challenge (or entirely undoable if you want to really build out for the newer versions).

Last edited by taming; 09-20-2012 at 12:25 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #52
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
@paulsalter: I know that Kobo is working to standardize, as much as possible, the experience folks have using the various apps. They now have one senior staff person who is responsible for all of the app teams who who also has that responsibility.
Thanks for that bit of info

I am happy now with the kobo apps, since the latest android update, getting more iOS features into it would just make it better
Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #53
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v5.7.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v5.7.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
★ Various Bug Fixes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #54
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I can't find any info but on my ios (touch and ipad) when I try to log in through facebook, it says 'something went wrong." on my nexus 7 it works fine.

Any ideas?
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #55
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
I can't find any info but on my ios (touch and ipad) when I try to log in through facebook, it says 'something went wrong." on my nexus 7 it works fine.

Any ideas?
Yes, it's an issue we are looking at. I believe it isn't something specific in the app itself, so it should not need an app update to fix. Hopefully it will be resolved shortly.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #56
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post

Any ideas?
Can yo please try the Facebook sign in option again, as I believe the issue should now be addressed.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #57
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Server side or even iCloud syncing of stats and awards
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #58
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
Server side or even iCloud syncing of stats and awards
Stats and awards are synced and have been for a little while, so I'm a little unsure on what you mean here.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #59
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but my single wish is that the Kobo software would sync side loaded books, like the kindle does. I like to be able to swap devices and pick up where I left off.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #60
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but my single wish is that the Kobo software would sync side loaded books, like the kindle does. I like to be able to swap devices and pick up where I left off.
You're not the only one who would like this feature, and it is something we would like to implement. One of the key things is we'd need to make sure whatever we do is compatible with our other apps / devices. I'm sure something using iCloud could be done, but then how would that work on our eReaders or Android devices?