Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
puw
puw began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Requesting a default new column

Hi,

Calibre is excellent (thanks for this great program) and I use it on a desktop. However, I have a lot of books from various collections, which include various authors collections (eg Lee Fields). My request or suggestion would be to add a column that the user could click on when they've finished reading a book, like a tick box, that would allow the user to know easily which books they've read (and maybe the date).

I see there's a way to create your own columns but a) it looks complicated and b) it looks like it refers to metadata.

My request is a simple addition to a good program. I can't recall every book title I have or have not read as I add and build my library. Sure I could delete it from calibre and then when I open my folder of ebooks, I've nothing to say when looking through what I've read and not read etc.

As I like to reread books I've enjoyed after 6-12mths, a date with the tickbox also helps me to know a book is up for a recycling read. But a tickbox column would be a great help.

Hope my suggestion is of use and thanks for listening.
puw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by puw View Post
My request or suggestion would be to add a column that the user could click on when they've finished reading a book, like a tick box, that would allow the user to know easily which books they've read (and maybe the date).

I see there's a way to create your own columns but a) it looks complicated and b) it looks like it refers to metadata.
Yes, custom columns help track additional metadata about your books - exactly as you propose to do by recording whether and when you read each book. Here's an example to get you started:
  1. In Calibre's preferences, go to "Add your own columns"
  2. Click "Add custom column"
  3. Enter a "Lookup name" and "Column heading" such as "Read"
  4. Select "Yes/No" as the "Column Type" and click OK.
  5. Apply the preferences and restart Calibre.

Now you can check off whether or not you've read each book in your library. If you want to record when you read each book, add another column using the "Date" column type.

Hope this helps.
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have an added read column exactly as anoved explained, and it works great. When you create a catalog of your books with Calibre, you can also include the read information as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I use the added column with the Read Yes/No check mark as well, and it works very well.

If you want to keep the date of the read book, then just double click on the date column and manually change it to the date read.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
puw

Thank you very much for your help and clear guide. I've got the yes/no column working fine. The date read column ..... well the popup calendar seems to work on a year such as 101 and inputting my own format of dd.mm.yyyy doesn't like too much. But the date it wants to input I can correct it and it shows up as I would like.

Again, thank you all
Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Thank you very much for your help and clear guide. I've got the yes/no column working fine. The date read column ..... well the popup calendar seems to work on a year such as 101 and inputting my own format of dd.mm.yyyy doesn't like too much. But the date it wants to input I can correct it and it shows up as I would like.

Again, thank you all
Just FYI: Calibre seems to take dates from the timezone settings of the Windows. So, though I have almost all the programs in my PC in english, date in the Calibre is not. (And Windows clock in the bottom corner)

In Calibre date columns - especially month has to be abbreviated according to the rules of the language it's displayed in. Or just chosen from drop-down menu.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Just FYI: Calibre seems to take dates from the timezone settings of the Windows. So, though I have almost all the programs in my PC in english, date in the Calibre is not. (And Windows clock in the bottom corner)

In Calibre date columns - especially month has to be abbreviated according to the rules of the language it's displayed in. Or just chosen from drop-down menu.
There is Tweak(s) (preference) for date/timestamp displays. They don't all have to be the same
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
puw

Seems strange that the date feature can't just work from the actual date, or refer to the PC's calendar whatever the language. I know being in Asia, they use the same calendar as I do.

My PC is setup in English with my correct timezone and yet I get the year 101 which I have no idea what it refers to. My PC calendar tells me that it's 2012 October. So what does 101 mean?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Seems strange that the date feature can't just work from the actual date, or refer to the PC's calendar whatever the language. I know being in Asia, they use the same calendar as I do.

My PC is setup in English with my correct timezone and yet I get the year 101 which I have no idea what it refers to. My PC calendar tells me that it's 2012 October. So what does 101 mean?
1/1/101 is the unassigned date (value)
Date entry can be tricky, with all the display variants.
Double click on the date, you should get a calender. Click on the Year digits: Make those correct (eg 2012), now the month arrows. then click the date, then enter
NB the date shown is really 3 parts and you can NOT set the date in the normal notation 10/16/2012
but click on each part and set JUST that part

Last edited by theducks; 10-16-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: note
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
puw

Thx Ducks. I noticed I can edit each date directly, so this is no biggie since I'm not reading a 100 books a day But still useful for me and I'm sure others who read this post.