Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Well, a lot of publishers use the page-template badly, putting margins in it that should be specified in the css. In fact it seems a lot of them just paste in a single page-template file that they've found somewhere in the mistaken belief that it makes their output look more professional, but that's a symptom of the poor level of coding skills prevalent in the industry.

Used properly, the page-template extension offers a reasonable amount of extra functionality. It's non-standard, but we're already seeing people playing around with webkit-specific css3 elements to get nice effects on the iPad, so the epub standard is in danger of losing relevance.
Yes, the page-template is used by publishers to specify page margins. They don't use it for anything that you cannot do in CSS. I prefer my ePub to have no margins. That's my personal choice. But what I have to do to achieve that is to delete the page-template, edit the OPF to remove it, and then edit ever XML file to remove the page-template from there. Granted, doing the XML removing is easy with Notepad++ as it allows me to load all the files I want and then do a search/replace on all of them at once. Also, I then have to edit the CSS (would have to do anyway). And finally, I have to delete the page-template from the ePub itself. So that's three extra steps I have to take just to be able to edit the margins via the CSS because of this rather useless page-template.

I've not seen any use of page-template (yet) that could not be done in CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #107
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what I have to do to achieve that is to delete the page-template, edit the OPF to remove it, and then edit ever XML file to remove the page-template from there. Granted, doing the XML removing is easy with Notepad++ as it allows me to load all the files I want and then do a search/replace on all of them at once. Also, I then have to edit the CSS (would have to do anyway). And finally, I have to delete the page-template from the ePub itself.
You already "delete the page-template" as the first step

Wouldn't it just be easier to edit the page-template to make it "empty"? That way you don't need to remove every reference to it. I don't know if a truly empty file would work, but something like this probably would:

Code:
<ade:template xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:ade="http://ns.adobe.com/2006/ade" xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format">

</ade:template>
Quote:
I've not seen any use of page-template (yet) that could not be done in CSS.
In post #60 I showed something. It's not really a page-template, but conditional styling, but it still uses the same file. I've used it to hide "oeb-page-head" elements from ADE, which otherwise puts them in the main text flow...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #108
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Pretty Chapter Heading

I won't claim to have thought this up myself. It draws a nice box around the header, with a big number and a subtitle for the chapter:

Code:
.chapterHeader {
  height:60px;
  border:1px solid #000;
  display:block;
  margin-bottom:20px;
  background-color:#FFF;}

.chapterHeader .translation {
  float:left;
  font-weight: normal;
  margin-top:38px;
  margin-left: -8px;
  margin-bottom: 0px;
  padding-right: 16px;
  padding-left: 5px ;
  padding-bottom: 0px;
  padding-top: 0px;
  font-size:26px;

.chapterHeader .count {
  line-height: 100%;
  font-style:normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  text-transform:uppercase;
  font-size:94px;
  margin-right:18px;
  margin-top:-14px;
  margin-bottom: -20px;
  float:left;
  padding:0px;
And here's the the markup for the header itself:

Code:
  <div class="body chapter" id="chapter">
    <h2 id="heading_id_2"><span class="chapterHeader"><span class="translation">Chapter</span> <span class="count">1</span></span> Chapter Subtitle</h2>
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 AM   #109
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Hey! It's me again.. This time problems with centering a table. How can I center my table easily and simply? I tried using:

Code:
table.center {
        margin-left:auto; 
        margin-right:auto;
}
It works fine e.g. in Firefox but not in ADE. Is there simple and easy way to center a small table? I don't want to use width: 100% for the table because it's a small one.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #110
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
could be epubs are not designed for tables ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #111
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's the way, but ADE just doesn't support "auto" margins
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #112
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
could be epubs are not designed for tables ....
It's centering that is not supported by ADE for tables nor images...

How this "bug" can persist is beyond comprehension!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #113
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Unfortunately, the standard allows this behaviour, which is one of the differences between OPS and XHTML/CSS. The standard reads "Reading Systems may set the value of any margin property whose specified value is auto to 0." See footnote 1 in section 3.3.

You can get around it by putting your content inside a table block that has been centred. See this thread for some work-arounds.

Last edited by EricDP; 10-06-2010 at 09:55 AM.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #114
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
You may want to check if EPUB spec requires margin:auto support.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #115
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the page-template is used by publishers to specify page margins. They don't use it for anything that you cannot do in CSS.
It is certainly not a good idea to use page template just for margins. These should be specified using regular margins on body and @page rule.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #116
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
It is certainly not a good idea to use page template just for margins. These should be specified using regular margins on body and @page rule.
I agree, but it seems to be standard practice. At least half of the books I've purchased have done this, and with huge margins, too. The first thing I do with these books is strip the DRM and delete the page template. Then I add an @page entry into the stylesheet with the top/bottom margins, and I create a default body style with left/right margins and text-justify. Suddenly the book is readable!

Why can't publishers realize that their trade-paperback edition and hardcover edition margins just don't work on a 6" screen? Doesn't anybody proof these books on an actual reading device?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #117
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's centering that is not supported by ADE for tables nor images...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
You may want to check if EPUB spec requires margin:auto support.
I'm aware that margin:auto can allow rendering systems to use margin:0, but that's not what I was complaining about; I was specifically referring to the "centering" bug whereby tables are not allowed to be centered (and images are not easily allowed to be centered).

Centering simple tables (like the TOC in many Project Gutenberg books) should be provided for, and I know workarounds can be used to properly center images, while centering headings using <h1> and similar constructs has always worked like a charm!

When the device's width is known, then centering should just be an algebraic exercise when you know the "extent" (max.) width of the table and/or image. Though I can understand that tables can be arbitrarily complex and not yield it's extent width easily, simple tables should be rendered centered if so specified...

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-13-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #118
EricDP
Groupie

Tables can be centered, you just need to make them 'inline'. Make a div with 'text-align: center'. Make your table 'display: inline-table' and it will be centered as if it were text. The only problem is, as an inline element, it can't break across pages - the entire table is treated as a single character of text.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #119
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Tables can be centered, you just need to make them 'inline'. Make a div with 'text-align: center'. Make your table 'display: inline-table' and it will be centered as if it were text. The only problem is, as an inline element, it can't break across pages - the entire table is treated as a single character of text.
That's good to know!!! It is the same answer given in another thread where I struggled with the centering of tables called eBooks of chess problems. Center table bug?

It seems I remember this problem quite distinctly, but somehow forgot it's solution, i.e. 'display: inline-table'

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-22-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #120
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
The only problem is, as an inline element, it can't break across pages - the entire table is treated as a single character of text.
...it can't break across pages...

Oh, that's a big problem with lengthy TOC or List of Illustrations found in some PG ebooks, like Etext #28700 that I have uploaded before to my GuteBook thread. I re-generated the .epub version and attached it below, this time inserting your suggested code, namely:
Code:
table {
    display: inline-table;
} /* work around for ADE centering with CSS problem */
You have to make the text very small to be able to see the entire Contents or Illustrations page at the beginning of the ebook. But at least it's centered!

Any better solutions...
Attached Files
File Type: epub Paul Creswick - Robin Hood.epub (654.3 KB, 597 views)