Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
lieti
lieti began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Exclamation PRS - 600 Zoom troubles

Hello I´m new owner of PRS - 600, and it seems that everything is ok, except the zooming feature. First problem is that difference between S, M,L is too big for normal use. But second bigger problem is that PRS - 600 have nice zooming feature, where you can zoom and center page individually. But it doesn´t remember position. And this little feature (unfortunately not bug ) driving me crazy, when I trying read something in pdf. I know that one of the solution is to crop pdf file, but it doesn´t work for me, and I see it like problematic.
Please exist some ways how to hack it or fix it? Because without this, it seems that reader is almost unusable for me.
Thanks in advance.
lieti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I'm afraid that is just the way the 600 is designed, and zoom in a pdf file does not remember, you have to re-zoom each page change, at least I think that's correct, Sorry,
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The 600's pdf zoom was designed for reading pdf's where you occasionally have to zoom in to see a chart or table, not for zoomed in reading of the entire pdf. For easier reading, your best bet is to crop the pdf; viewing in landscape mode also helps. With both cropping and landscape, I've found I could read every pdf I have on my 600.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
lieti

Yes, unfortunately it isn´t bug, its a feature and for me very anoying feature. For this reason I trying to find, "hack" or something what can improve zoom funcionality.
The way of croping file... yes it is partial sollution, but...
Strange, I´ve tried few utilities (Briss, Pdf tools), and results seems in the pc perfect (especially Briss is very nice, user friendly software). But I´m really suprised, that PRS-600 know(remember?) original size of the document and I still have it with original margins. I try it on several pdfs, from different sources and the result is the same. So I don´t know if I´m strange, pdf is strange, PRS is strange or what /
But still it will be very nice if somebody (Sony??) will try to fix this zooming issue.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I did encounter the same problem of reformating documents and the reader still shows them as if I hadn't done anything.

For the zoom thingy, I actually like that zoom resets on page turns. If you try a magazine where articles are spread over a page randomly, the full page view gives you a pretty nice overview on where you want to zoom in.
Occasionally I found the zoom reset annoying too. That is when a document was formatted the same from page to page.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The zoom reset is a very annoying feature - it makes it almost unusable.

But changing font size seems to work fine for me in most cases. But I guess it depends on your needs - and what kind of documents you read most.

Briss, on the other side, works wonderfully for me. I have had problems with other utilities - which do not crop a document, but rather insert code telling Acrobat to ignore the borders (or, at least, that's how I understand it). In those cases, the document will still appear with margins.

But Briss cuts the margins off. I have not used it much, but whenever I have, it has worked wonders.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
lieti

It is annoying, or better say "something what seems almost perfect, but with big limitation". Problem is like I told that also the scale between "S" and "M" is big (for me) and because I use pdf from different sources sometimes are big problems with "reformating".
But strange I tryed Briss (0.0.8) several times, but still result is with the margins. So I have no idea what is wrong.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieti View Post
It is annoying, or better say "something what seems almost perfect, but with big limitation". Problem is like I told that also the scale between "S" and "M" is big (for me) and because I use pdf from different sources sometimes are big problems with "reformating".
But strange I tryed Briss (0.0.8) several times, but still result is with the margins. So I have no idea what is wrong.
Are you sure you are doing it right? You need to select the area of the page you want to keep, before pressing the 'crop' button. Otherwise, it will just re-save the document as it is.

I have a PRS 900, so I am not sure if that makes a difference with Briss... but I don't think it should. I'll try to send you a file I cropped with Briss.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

BTW, you can try to convert PDF to epub by using Calibre and you can define the font sizes in this application and thus, adapt to the scale you like.
I use the default values and it is really great. Of course, PDF from image (and not from text) doesn't give the same result,so you need to use the zoom instead.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
lieti

Thanks for good advice
But this is another sort of problem, that PRS-600 doesn´t support UTF-8 and I don´t have time for "hack" for my language charset (Slovakian).
Also I read lot of scientefic text, with pictures, tables, formulas, graphs, etc. So for this reason I don´t like the way with using different text size (S, M, L, etc) or I´m not sure with converting from pdf.
And for this I´m bit frustrated from zooming features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Are you sure you are doing it right? You need to select the area of the page you want to keep, before pressing the 'crop' button. Otherwise, it will just re-save the document as it is.
Yes I´m sure, but we can make kind of test.

Strange but this really expensive equpiment(if I compare it with funcionality) have sort of problems, like the software from 1995
Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
lieti

So after experiment with pdf file what provide vxf (thanks again ) I reallized that documents are cropped, but PRS still have "own" margins, so it help just liitle bit (difference maybe 1.5 cm in width).
I starting to hate this device /