Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
Can't get calibre window to minimize

I have installed 0.8.60 but somehow when I try to run calibre in minimize mode, the screen expands across the window to eight or nine screen widths. It look like there is a hugh open area in tag browser. I can't get the side scroll bars to allow the area to be narrowed. The hugh width in tag browser is in both mini and maxi views but in max view at least I can see the entire program screen without endless scrolling across.

At first I thought somehow I had slipped and pulled the panel wider but if that were the case I should be able to fix it by narrowing the area to fit, right? Am I making any sense? Any help would be appreciated. p.s. I don't "speak" program language so please be gentle...
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bauerhjb - What Operating System are you using
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
I have installed 0.8.60 but somehow when I try to run calibre in minimize mode, the screen expands across the window to eight or nine screen widths. It look like there is a hugh open area in tag browser. I can't get the side scroll bars to allow the area to be narrowed. The hugh width in tag browser is in both mini and maxi views but in max view at least I can see the entire program screen without endless scrolling across.

At first I thought somehow I had slipped and pulled the panel wider but if that were the case I should be able to fix it by narrowing the area to fit, right? Am I making any sense? Any help would be appreciated. p.s. I don't "speak" program language so please be gentle...
do you haveareallyhugelong tag name?
what screen resolution are you running (I think 1024x768 is the absolute minimum)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

Sorry, Vista - don't laugh
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

I'm at work and the laptop is at home but I will respond as soon as I get home...
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
bauerhjb
Connoisseur

Updated request for help=can't min. window

Quote:

I still haven't figured out what I did to make my tag area so huge that it makes calibre eight or nine screen widths wide. I did check the length of all my tags and for excessive number of tags, I am running Vista on this machine and have installed all the updates to calibre except for last Friday's. There is no change in screen resolution.

Just to add, every time when I am in minimized when I try to pull narrow the page, it automatically bounces me to maximized size. I can still use calibre but it is awkward. Any ideas would be welcomed. (oh and I have almost 15,000 books and metadata in this library if size of library makes a difference...) Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I still haven't figured out what I did to make my tag area so huge that it makes calibre eight or nine screen widths wide. I did check the length of all my tags and for excessive number of tags, I am running Vista on this machine and have installed all the updates to calibre except for last Friday's. There is no change in screen resolution.

Just to add, every time when I am in minimized when I try to pull narrow the page, it automatically bounces me to maximized size. I can still use calibre but it is awkward. Any ideas would be welcomed. (oh and I have almost 15,000 books and metadata in this library if size of library makes a difference...) Thanks in advance for any help.
I would have guessed you have a really long: Series name, Tag name, Author ...

Except I have some that are long and I don't see this behavior on XP or Ubuntu (I keep the Tag browser narrow enough that the dot dot dot appears on many names)
Kovid may be able to answer where the window states are stored and what can be deleted without having to customize all the rest (Your Library is not affected)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Press Shift+Alt+T to hide the tag browser.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Press Shift+Alt+T to hide the tag browser.
If I understand the O/P's problem: The Tag browser is just Way too wide, and keeps reverting to wide after it has been made Narrow (less wide)
Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah but if its hidden at least she will be able to use calibre. We can then work on figuring out why it is so wide.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah but if its hidden at least she will be able to use calibre. We can then work on figuring out why it is so wide.
Very true

I wonder what screen resolution she is running?