Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
yleibu
yleibu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPodTouch
Kobo is Broken

Hello to all from Montreal, Canada.

This is my first post in the Kobo eReader Forum.
Unfortunately, my Kobo stopped working entirely, after having misbehaved for a while. Here are a few symptomps (non exhaustive list):

1. When trying to read a book marked New, bought at the Kobo website, it goes directly to the end, without opening any other page. The displayed message is :
< Press next page to close he book and return to library>

2. Newly bought books, downloaded to the computer running Mac OS X are not being synced with the plugged in Kobo eReader The error message that I get is:
<We are unable to update your device's database. Syncing cannot be completed>

3. Deauthorizing and reauthorizing the reader with Adobe Digital Editions has no effect on the KoboReader's behaviour.

I've tried to reset the device, without success.
Does that mean that the reader is dead, beyond salvation?

My Kobo Desktop Edition for MacOS X is version 1.4.
My Kobo eReader is running software version 1.4 (Jan 27 2010).

Thanks for any help.
yleibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, yleibu
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Which format of books are using? Ones that you synchronize via the Kobo Desktop, or ones via Adobe Digital Editions?

If Kobo Desktop, it is possible that you have a corrupted Sqllite database on the Kobo; you will find instructions in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789 on how to replace the database.

You might also want to double check the time / date settings on the Kobo. Not sure if that would affect syncing, but it can't help to double check.

It sounds like you might have a corrupted database on the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
yleibu

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, yleibu
Thank you, desertgrandma. Glad to be here. This is a very helpful community.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
yleibu

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Which format of books are using? Ones that you synchronize via the Kobo Desktop, or ones via Adobe Digital Editions?

If Kobo Desktop, it is possible that you have a corrupted Sqllite database on the Kobo; you will find instructions in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789 on how to replace the database.

You might also want to double check the time / date settings on the Kobo. Not sure if that would affect syncing, but it can't help to double check.

It sounds like you might have a corrupted database on the Kobo.
Thank you very much, Peter. Your suggestions are very helpful. I have replaced the reader's database and now it is working properly. This made me change my opinion about this product and I'm seriously considering to acquire the next Kobo, wireless, reader. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Glad we could help! You will find lots of good info here.

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote