Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #16
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I'm a sci fi and fantasy fan too. I'd tend to recommend Ken Follett's military books more than Tom Clancy. Entirely personal opinion, of course - I found Red October to be a harder read than, say, Lie Down With Lions.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I liked Tom Clancy's early books. Later on, they seem to become more about Tom Clancy wanting to rule the world . My personal recommendation is reading up to and including Clear and Present Danger.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Yep, his earlier stuff was great. Just read Red Rabbit and it was very boring.
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Echo all the recommendations. Everything up to and including Without Remorse. You can stop with that one, though. When you look at the prose and storytelling of the books after Without Remorse, I'm convinced that Clancy basically had nothing to do with the later novels other than a broad approval of the story arc and process. At least, it certainly seems that way; the quality of the books after Without Remorse takes a huge plunge off a literary cliff and aren't worth the time. The earlier books are just about the best military/spy/war books ever written because their story arcs and the realism of the technical details included in them make the stories very believable and plausible.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote