Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: April 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald 19 25.33%
Topper by Thorne Smith 5 6.67%
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole 10 13.33%
My man Jeeves by P G Wodehouse 2 2.67%
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain 7 9.33%
Fool by Christopher Moore 3 4.00%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 0 0%
A Damon Runyon Omnibus 1 1.33%
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore 10 13.33%
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 16 21.33%
Candide by Voltaire 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
Rita Mae Brown didn't make the cut, huh?
The nomination was withdrawn because the book wasn't available as an ebook.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So we put up Lamb instead since it's the best book on the list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #33
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think more people should vote for Candide as I've read The Eyre Affair three times already
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I think more people should vote for Candide as I've read The Eyre Affair three times already
Hmm, Eyre sounds Very (re)Readable in that case!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The nomination was withdrawn because the book wasn't available as an ebook.
Oh, I see - I'll request it at Amazon for future reading.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go for Lamb. Religious humor can be really funny. Remember Monty Python's Life of Brian.
Quote:
Lamb is a period piece as well. It's just a lot older period.
Quote:
A vote for Lamb is a vote for a LOL/ROTFLYAO experience. A vote for anything else is a vote for a why did I vote for this experience.

Also, Lamb is cheaper to buy then The Eyre Affair. Plus some of you might be lucky enough to get Lamb from the library.
Quote:
So we put up Lamb instead since it's the best book on the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
Oh, I see - I'll request it at Amazon for future reading.
Jon...

Which book do you think I should vote for? I'm not sure which one you want to read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #37
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jon...

Which book do you think I should vote for? I'm not sure which one you want to read.

BOb
Ah, give the poor guy a break -- he's just so excited about finally getting a book into the official poll he can't help himself!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ah, give the poor guy a break -- he's just so excited about finally getting a book into the official poll he can't help himself!
Actually, several of Jon's nominations have made the polls. I just don't think any of his favorites have won the poll.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #39
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm suprised Eyre Affair is in the lead. When I nominated it, there didn't seem to be a lot of interest.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #41
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm, Eyre sounds Very (re)Readable in that case!
Don't think I need to re-read it to discuss it It could be fun to hear others' opinions of it though. He's one of my favourite authors.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Don't think I need to re-read it to discuss it It could be fun to hear others' opinions of it though. He's one of my favourite authors.
I think I'd heard the name before, but have never read any of his stuff. In checking it out on Amazon though I'm very, very interested and will probably read Eyre in any case.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #43
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Even if Topper by Thorne Smith doesn't win, I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend that everyone who loves madcap, irreverent, sexy humor should put this one on their "to be read" list. It's hilarious!

Since I've already read it, I doubt that I'll vote for it, as I prefer to vote for something I haven't read. But seriously; if you love laugh-out-loud humor, make it a point to read this one soon! Although published in 1926, the humor holds up incredibly well. That can't be said of many humorous books.
About 1973 five Thorne Smith titles were re-issued, including Topper. I read all five and enjoyed them all. In fact, I felt that Topper was the worst of the bunch!

I see that Night Life of the Gods is also available to be downloaded here. I'll plan to read that again soon.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #44
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I read The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald and thought it was hilarious as I pictured some of the situations.

I just found out that one of her neighbors in the story (and some others) was the basis for the Ma and Pa Kettle movies I watched when I was younger (although, denied in the lawsuits).
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I read The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald and thought it was hilarious as I pictured some of the situations.

I just found out that one of her neighbors in the story (and some others) was the basis for the Ma and Pa Kettle movies I watched when I was younger (although, denied in the lawsuits).
Wait, wait, I demand a re-vote. I didn't realize this was about a chicken farm, I thought it was about in vitro fertilization.

Maybe I'll have to read this one too as having grown up on a chicken farm I can likely identify with most of it....