Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Conversion process VERY slow on certain books

I couldn't get "Send to device(iPad)" to work so I selected 36 to convert TXT to EPUB and these are the results at point of "hang"?....

Half the books took between 3 seconds to 40 seconds to convert but one has taken an hour and is still converting.

One book is .4Mb and took 48 minutes to convert. The biggest book is 1.2Mb and took 54 seconds to convert.

The book that took 3 seconds to convert is .1Mb.

I know size isn't important ( ) but why would a 1.2Mb text book take less than a minute to convert and another .4Mb text book take 48 minutes?

Two books are still converting 1) .4Mb - 65 minutes and still converting and 2) .8Mb and taken 61 minutes so far. Both are set at 1%

Is this kind of disparity of timing normal?
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I know size isn't important ( ) but why would a 1.2Mb text book take less than a minute to convert and another .4Mb text book take 48 minutes?
You jest, but the size of the book has little to do with conversion times.

Quote:
Two books are still converting 1) .4Mb - 65 minutes and still converting and 2) .8Mb and taken 61 minutes so far. Both are set at 1%

Is this kind of disparity of timing normal?
Yes this kind of disparity is normal.

Text to ePub should progress quickly although if I recall correctly certain heuristic processing can take a long time.

Most the disparity is converting certain htm or Lit files to ePubs. Some books initially created in MS Word often have a crap load of extra CSS and font-face items that need to be processed. I have had more than one book take close to 6 hours.

Quote:
Both are set at 1%
Don't let the 1% get you down, it is often not accurate and will jump from 1% to 40% to 70% to complete.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Some books initially created in MS Word often have a crap load of extra CSS and font-face items that need to be processed.
You'll be pleased to hear there should be some improvement in this area in from v0.8.51
Quote:
Conversion pipeline: Filter out the useless font-face rules inserted by Microsoft Word for every font on the system
...well... every little helps
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, I may have aborted the process too early?

It was, I thought "hung", so I pulled the plug at 230 minutes.

And Sorry, it wasn't text to epub

It was mobi to epub.

Of the 35 books being converted it was stuck(?) on three mobi books and 3 waiting, see attachment.

Do I start the conversion again and let it run for more than 6 hours????

OBTW I am using the current portable version on an i7 Windows 7 64bit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Conversion errors.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	87285  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Oops, I may have aborted the process too early?

It was, I thought "hung", so I pulled the plug at 230 minutes.

And Sorry, it wasn't text to epub

It was mobi to epub.

Of the 35 books being converted it was stuck(?) on three mobi books and 3 waiting, see attachment.

Do I start the conversion again and let it run for more than 6 hours????

OBTW I am using the current portable version on an i7 Windows 7 64bit
Let it run till it is done or crashes
You can't tell which will need this from the outside

I have had a few take 24 hours
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
louwin
Newbie Nerd

WOW! how could it run for that long and NOT be "hung".

What could it be doing for that long?

And this is normal? Not a bug?

I can't understand why mine took 230 minutes
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
forceps
Enthusiast
forceps doesn't litterforceps doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG
Calibre is great, but there is still room for improvement, the conversion speed should be one of them.

I did several txt to mobi conversion recently. Since the output is mobi, the mobi output plugin is used, and so does the SVGRasterizer, which takes rather long time to run. While running, SVGRasterize called Stylizer, which apparently go through every line of the temporary XHTML file. Those time are completely wasted because there is no svg image involved in a text file.

I also notice the speed decreases more rapidly than the growth of the size of text file. Similar speed problem happened before when use BeautifulSoup to parse large html file.
forceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

I had one that ran for like 12 hours on my laptop (AMD Turion dual core CPU...not the speediest CPU in raw crunching ability) before I gave up.

I gave up and moved it over to my desktop (Phenom II x4) where it had a lot more CPU/memory bandwidth and it finished in a few hours instead.

It was html-> epub with a LOT of CSS to process. I haven't had one take longer than 3-4 hours but I've heard it's possible if the CSS is complicated.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 06-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
naisren
Enthusiast
naisren began at the beginning.

Device: ppc
mobi is not supported by many readers.
ePub is popular, so mobi2epub is very important.
But no good way to convert between with ease until now. The main problem are conveting speed and keeping original structures and links.
Wish a quick converter.
naisren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
naisren
Enthusiast
naisren began at the beginning.

Device: ppc
A mobi ebook of 5m size, I take a snapshot of middleway (about 14 minutes past), I guess our calibre would take 30 minutes to finish the work of mobi2epub. It is too SLOW!

Code:
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.54
{'asciiize': False,
 'author_sort': None,
 'authors': None,
 'base_font_size': 0.0,
 'book_producer': None,
 'change_justification': u'original',
 'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|prologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
 'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
 'comments': None,
 'cover': u'C:\\DOCUME~1\\user\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\calibre_0.8.54_tmp_ovaq7o\\6oauzj.jpeg',
 'debug_pipeline': None,
 'dehyphenate': True,
 'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
 'disable_font_rescaling': False,
 'dont_split_on_page_breaks': False,
 'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
 'enable_heuristics': False,
 'epub_flatten': False,
 'extra_css': None,
 'extract_to': None,
 'filter_css': u'',
 'fix_indents': True,
 'flow_size': 260,
 'font_size_mapping': None,
 'format_scene_breaks': True,
 'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
 'input_encoding': None,
 'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x034212B0>,
 'insert_blank_line': False,
 'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
 'insert_metadata': False,
 'isbn': None,
 'italicize_common_cases': True,
 'keep_ligatures': False,
 'language': None,
 'level1_toc': None,
 'level2_toc': None,
 'level3_toc': None,
 'line_height': 0.0,
 'linearize_tables': False,
 'margin_bottom': 5.0,
 'margin_left': 5.0,
 'margin_right': 5.0,
 'margin_top': 5.0,
 'markup_chapter_headings': True,
 'max_toc_links': 50,
 'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
 'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
 'no_default_epub_cover': False,
 'no_inline_navbars': False,
 'no_svg_cover': False,
 'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.iPadOutput object at 0x03421550>,
 'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
 'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
 'preserve_cover_aspect_ratio': False,
 'pretty_print': True,
 'pubdate': None,
 'publisher': None,
 'rating': None,
 'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\DOCUME~1\\user\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\calibre_0.8.54_tmp_ovaq7o\\h9qx3r.opf',
 'remove_fake_margins': True,
 'remove_first_image': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
 'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
 'renumber_headings': True,
 'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
 'search_replace': '[]',
 'series': None,
 'series_index': None,
 'smarten_punctuation': False,
 'sr1_replace': None,
 'sr1_search': None,
 'sr2_replace': None,
 'sr2_search': None,
 'sr3_replace': None,
 'sr3_search': None,
 'tags': None,
 'timestamp': None,
 'title': None,
 'title_sort': None,
 'toc_filter': None,
 'toc_threshold': 6,
 'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
 'unwrap_lines': True,
 'use_auto_toc': False,
 'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\calibre_0.8.54_tmp_ovaq7o\sq4coe.mobi
Extracting text...
Adding anchors...
Extracting images...

Cleaning up HTML...

Parsing HTML...

Converting style information to CSS...

Creating OPF...

Parsing all content...
Parsing styles.css ...
Parsing dummy.html ...

Forcing dummy.html into XHTML namespace

Reading TOC from NCX...

Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...

Detected chapter: BOOK ITHE BYZANTINE ZENITH325–565
	Detected chapter: BOOK IIISLAMIC CIVILIZATION569–1258
	Detected chapter: BOOK IIIJUDAIC CIVILIZATION135–1300
	Detected chapter: BOOK IVTHE DARK AGES566–1095
	Detected chapter: BOOK VTHE CLIMAX OF CHRISTIANITY1095–1300
	Detected chapter: Epilogue

Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...

Source base font size is 12.00000pt

Removing fake margins...

Found 682 items of level: div_1
Found 659 items of level: p_4
Found 655 items of level: p_5
Found 12402 items of level: p_2
Found 3119 items of level: p_1
div_1  left margin stats: Counter()
div_1  right margin stats: Counter()
p_4  left margin stats: Counter({u'0': 659})
p_4  right margin stats: Counter({u'0': 659})
Negative text indent detected at level  p_5, ignoring this level
Negative text indent detected at level  p_2, ignoring this level

p_1  left margin stats: Counter({u'0': 3119})
p_1  right margin stats: Counter({u'0': 3119})
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...

Trimming u'images/00056.jpg' from manifest
Creating EPUB Output...

Rescaling image from 1000x637 to 749x477 images/00054.jpg
Rescaling image from 900x1350 to 670x1005 images/00001.jpg
Rescaling image from 825x976 to 749x886 images/00002.jpg

Rescaling image from 900x1350 to 670x1005 cover.jpeg

Rescaling image from 825x1147 to 723x1005 images/00055.jpg
Splitting markup on page breaks and flow limits, if any...

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break

Splitting on page-break
naisren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Resizing and converting images can be quite time consuming and memory intensive.

Also often long execution times in python are related to memory allocation/deallocation thrashing. All strings in Python are immutable. So any time you append or delete or modify a string in any way, python allocates new memory and deallocates the old. So appending/changing lots of little substrings in a long (large) string can result in massive thrashing of memory (the cpu is pegged just deallocating and reallocating memory and the paging and virtual memory that can be associated with that).

Walking and modifying long css and xhtml files can be quite costly is lots of little changes are needed on the large xhtml file.

The only "workaround" for the python approach of having strings be immutable is to create lists of string pieces and when finally ready allocating the required space once, and then copying all of the strings in the list (in order) into that newly allocated string.

This approach prevents the memory thrashing and can significantly speed up operations in python on memory limited platforms.

Perhaps these may be contributing to what you are seeing. Does your "benchmark" conversion properly resize and convert images and properly process/convert CSS entities, processing large xhtml files, etc?

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
underdunne
underdunne began at the beginning.

Device: kindle,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

What size file was that?

I've been running the conversion process process on a 50Mb PDF to ePub file.
It's got images in it but they're mainly B&W. It's currently just gone over 4 hrs.
underdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdunne View Post
What size file was that?

I've been running the conversion process process on a 50Mb PDF to ePub file.
It's got images in it but they're mainly B&W. It's currently just gone over 4 hrs.
ANY SIZE (or Size Doesn't Matter' )
That is why my line above: 'You can't tell from the outside'
Proceed to rule 1 (and be prepared for 24 hours or more with your other activities. Cancelling only means you start over )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
underdunne
underdunne began at the beginning.

Device: kindle,
Bummer...637 mins and still only 1%. wish there was some better indication.
underdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had any Mobi > ePub conversion or ePub > Mobi conversion take longer then 10 minutes. I've not performed enough conversions to the combination KF8/Mobi to be able to say who well that goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote