Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #61
ouboub
ouboub began at the beginning.

Device: mobireader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks to a sample of a Mobipocket ebook for which MobiDeDRM 0.04 didn't work properly, I've made a slight adjustment to the code. The new code should work with all the ebooks that 0.04 worked with, and a few more.
Hi I tried your code on a mobi file but with the scripts .py 002.py
I obained invalid encryption type 0 bytes

and the last one 005 tells me the PID is wrong.

what can I do are there DRM protected books where the DRM can´t be removed?
Thanks
ouboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #62
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouboub View Post
are there DRM protected books where the DRM can´t be removed?
Are you sure the MOBI has DRM? Encryption type 0 means no DRM.

If it is encrypted, it might be a "content encrypted" ebook. In other words, it has encryption but only using the generic MOBI key (not a PID-specific key). This means that can be read by any MobiPocket Reader software, on any device, but not by any non-MobiPocket software. To check for this, open the ebook with Windows MobiPocket Reader, right click in the library view and select Properties -> Summary and it will be listed as Content Encrypted. There is a version of mobidedrm.py that strips content encryption, see Mobipocket Decoder Tool #176.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #63
ouboub

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Are you sure the MOBI has DRM? Encryption type 0 means no DRM.

If it is encrypted, it might be a "content encrypted" ebook. In other words, it has encryption but only using the generic MOBI key (not a PID-specific key). This means that can be read by any MobiPocket Reader software, on any device, but not by any non-MobiPocket software. To check for this, open the ebook with Windows MobiPocket Reader, right click in the library view and select Properties -> Summary and it will be listed as Content Encrypted. There is a version of mobidedrm.py that strips content encryption, see Mobipocket Decoder Tool #176.
Thanks for your rapid answer.
I did not know about content encryption.
That is really odd. I did what you explained, and there is no encryption in the summary not even content encryption.

The very strange thing is that in the manual of the dictionary it is explicitly stated that the reader has a PID maybe I misinterpreated it.

However I cannot open this mobi file with calibre to convert it to epub to read it on my ipod touch.

So maybe I can read it with the kindle software, which should only work for not DRM protected mobi files.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #64
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouboub View Post
what can I do are there DRM protected books where the DRM can´t be removed?
So far, I've only one DRM protected book I can't remove the DRM from. And that's my old dictionary. It has an encryption type of 1.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #65
ouboub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So far, I've only one DRM protected book I can't remove the DRM from. And that's my old dictionary. It has an encryption type of 1.
Following the Advice from the former post
the dict. seemS not encrypted how can i figure out whether
it is tupe 1 encrypted??
Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #66
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I had a strange error occur when using mobidedrm v0.0.2 in linux using python 2.6.2 I get the following Error: invalid PID checksum. However in windows using python 2.6.2 the script works fine.

I'm at a loss as to why this is. I would prefer to NOT have to boot into windows, and would like to assist in correcting this. ( Feel free to pm me, or to point me to an active maintainer of the code. )

====UPDATE====
Just put the PID in single 'quote' marks (or apostrophes for some) and the script worked fine. I've modified the script copy to show that requirement in the error messages.

Last edited by demoric; 08-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote