Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Owna
Owna began at the beginning.

Device: Asus
Fantasy (Magic, Wizard...)

Hi mobilreader,

Im looking for a few books to read i prefer long series (1000 pages per book) but i dont mind if they are short (400 pages per book) as long as they are good. The books should be about Magic/Magican/Wizard/Abilities/Elemental i think you know what i mean. Oh and im 21 years old so i dont mind adult stuff.

And if u know something good like Ranger's Apprentice or Gladiator series of Simon Scarrow than i would very much like to see some recommendations to that too.

What i alreay read (only started to read book 8 months ago so its not much ):
Ranger's Apprentice series (favorite)
Gladiator series of Simon Scarrow
Young Ancient series (favorite)
Maestro Series (favorite)
The Warrior Hier
Eragon series (favorite)
Pathfinder series
Codex Alrea series
Mistborn series
The Black Magican series (and the other series about sonea and her son)
Age of Five series
Percy Jackson series
Mageborn series
Kingkiller Chronicles
Dark Elite (Firespeel, Hexbound....)
Lev Grossman - Fillory - Die Zauberer (german titel )
and some other stuff i dont remember right now

Edit: Also read Mistborn series and Nightangel series

greetz owna

Last edited by Owna; 07-05-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Owna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Malazan series by Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont should handily qualify.

Wiki on the Malazan series
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll propose a few older ones --

Michael Moorcock's "Elric" series (you can get completely lost in Moorcock's "eternal champion" multiple series but, to me, Elric is the most focused vision).

Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser" series.

Roger Zelazny's "Amber" series.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Continuing in the vein of the last poster:

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist. One of the true fantasy greats.

Dragonlance perhaps? It's been twenty-five years or more since I read the original trilogy and I'm not entirely sure how it would hold up today? Still, I was a 21-year-old (or thereabouts) myself at the time and I loved it. Raistlin was certainly a memorable magician.

Barbara Hambly's Darwath. Another trilogy, though the books are slimmer than requested.

I just realised that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings aren't on your "Have Read" list.... In that case, they really need to be at the top of your "To Be Read" list.

There's Christopher Stasheff's octology A Wizard in Rhyme.

There's David Eddings' Belagariad and Malloreon, which are pretty much all about wizards.

There's Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series, another octology.

Sheri S. Tepper's The True Game trio of trilogies are kind of science fiction, although this does not become apparent until very late. Most of the way they are ostensibly fantasy books.

Then there's Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame decalogy, along with Spellsinger one of the first series (I think) to use the theme of people being transported from our world to an alternative universe.

There's also Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, a pentalogy inspired by and based on Welsh mythology. I can't really remember whether or not it's heavy on wizards and wizardry and it's ostensibly a series for children, but I read it around your age and enjoyed it a lot.

Louise Cooper's Time Master trilogy is all about magicians, or rather one magician, and quite enjoyable. More books/series have been added later, preceding and following the original trilogy, but I've read none of those.

Michael Scott Rohan's Winter of the World has its share of magic, although perhaps no magicians in the usual sense of the term. At least not the original trilogy, which is all I've read.

Finally, Steven Brust's Dragaeran cycle has lots of wizards, although again perhaps not in the usual sense. The books are fairly thin, but there are a total of 20 volumes with another 3 yet to be published. Easy reads and very enjoyable indeed.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files

The Dresden Files - awaiting the 15th novel in the series to be released December 3rd 2013. It's classified as Urban Fantasy. Harry Dresden is a wizard.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Since you've read Percy Jackson, I assume that in spite of your age you're not too cool to read those "kids' series" which can and are easily enjoyed by adults as well.

So...

JK Rowling - Harry Potter
Derek Landy - Skulduggery Pleasant
Jonathan Stroud - the Bartimaeus sequence
Diane Duane - Young Wizards

There is also a whole lot of urban fantasy out there that might qualify (in addition to the Dresden Files mentioned above) - just browse any urban fantasy categories in any bookshops and discard those that focus on vampires and werewolves (although those often have witches and magic as well). One that I'd recommend is the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
One that I'd recommend is the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.
+1 for these. The 'Night Watch' series by Sergei Lukyanenko is good too.

Last edited by mbovenka; 07-05-2013 at 04:57 AM.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Owna

Hmm i guess i should have mentioned that i like the newer stuff more (1990 - 2013) but i will try the malazan series and the riftwar saga.

"I just realised that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings aren't on your "Have Read" list.... In that case, they really need to be at the top of your "To Be Read" list."
"JK Rowling - Harry Potter"

Well i watched the Movies already and i really dont enjoy reading the books after i watched the movie.

@alanspace: Yeah i know of the dresden files but i dont feel like reading it (already got it on my tablet)

@Yapyap: yeah i dont mind kid series (with kids i mean like teengaer stuff) but if its too much kids than i dont like it at all So i didn't like the Bartimaeus sequence read 100 pages and didnt enjoy it. I read the Introduction to Skulduggery Pleasant and didnt like it (not that big a fan of detectiv stuff)

pls some more recommendations (fast reader or not but i got much time on my hands..)

greetz owna

Last edited by Owna; 07-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Never mind.

:lonk::

Last edited by WillAdams; 07-05-2013 at 03:34 PM.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind (Legend of the Seeker was the TV series adaptation) got me back into reading (after watching the series)

The books can be a bit hit and miss (especially the last few...) but for the most part I think they are good easy reading fantasy with some good characters. A bit Deus ex Machina though, again especially the latter books.

I'm currently reading and enjoying the Emaneska series by Ben Galley, but they are hard to recommend as they lack polish, the editing/proof reading done on these books is terrible sometimes, especially in the first book.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Owna

@WillAdams I already read the Lyoness Triology and i once started to read the dark is rising but didn't like it and stopped. I actually wanted to read the Dragaera books cuz Istvan diVega already recommended it so thanks.
@Tachikoma Ahhh already got The Sword of Truth on my tablet and maybe i look into Emaneska series

btw if anyone of you got Whill of Agora Triology i wouldn't mind dl per pm
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owna View Post
Hmm i guess i should have mentioned that i like the newer stuff more (1990 - 2013)
Not to derail things, but I'd be quite interested in hearing why and what older stuff you base the preference on. After all, there is no "old" stuff in your have read list...
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Owna

This is kind of hard to explain but ppl didn't have the same standards as ppl do now you know we know more stuff now and newer kind of thinking creativ and shit diffrent possibilities...

Last edited by Owna; 07-05-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
I think you will be missing out on some gems. I always wrote off things like HP Lovecraft, Franz Kafka, Harry Harrison etc as books for ironic hipster and crusty old professor types, and you know what? I couldn't have been more wrong.

Even the short books like "The Metamporphosis" (Kafka) which you can read in an hour completely drew me in and made me realise what i had been missing. "Deathworld" (Harrison) again was excellent, and you know what? I suspect a very large influence on the script for Avatar.

Oh, another recommendation of modern fantasy, "The Blade Itself Trilogy" by Joe Abercrombie, a little less magicy than others at the start, but absolutely fantastic books, I would say as good as Game of Thrones for the most part.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owna View Post
This is kind of hard to explain but ppl didn't have the same standards as ppl do now you know we know more stuff now and newer kind of thinking creativ and shit diffrent possibilities...
That's just a joke, right? I mean, surely you can't be seriously saying that you've made these judgements (and I use the term extremely loosely) without actually having read any older books?

Last edited by Istvan diVega; 07-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.