Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
<QOUTE>
It's strange I've downloaded http://projects.mobileread.com/ilia...6_iliad-0.5.zip and while trying to run it on 2.8 it complains about not finding libgtk-1.2.so.0.
Am I doing something blatantly wrong?</QUOTE>

It is in the zip.

You should put all the files in/with the directories on your iLiad.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #17
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I use the following script to connect: (no wep key - unsecured network)

#!/bin/ ssid="BlaBlaBla" /usr/bin/wireless.sh start $ssid

But the script does not work. When I am testing the network connection it seem to work.
Also I don't know how to exit from dillo.

Please help.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #18
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
It's strange I've downloaded http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad..._iliad-0.5.zip and while trying to run it on 2.8 it complains about not finding libgtk-1.2.so.0.
Am I doing something blatantly wrong?
I've tested it in 2.8, and it works correctly.

Instructions:
1. Connect the iliad to the USB port of your PC
2. unzip the archive in one of the folders of the "iliad drive". I've it in the documents folder, with a directory structure as in:
\documents\dillo\dillo
\documents\dillo\run.sh
\documents\dillo\lib\libgtk-1.2.so.0
3. Make scripts to enable/disable the ethernet/wireless interface (see previous posts)
4. Disconnect the iliad (in the safe way: unmount/remove hardware safely, etc)
5. Click on the script to enable the ethernet/wireless interface
6. Click on the run.sh script inside the dillo folder.

I know that the packaging is not the state of the art in packages for the iliad (no icon, no manifest, you have to enter the directory and hunt for run.sh...)... I would gladly accept help from yokos or scotty to pretty it up :-).

If you cannot get it to work with this instructions, keep asking.

P.S.: It seems that you're trying to start it from command-line (mrxvt/ssh/netcat or whatever). To work, the run.sh must be called with the absolute path (that is, /mnt/free/documents/dillo/run.sh): OTOH f it's not launched from the content lister, hardware keys don't work.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 AM   #19
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
Also I don't know how to exit from dillo.

Please help.
To exit dillo
1. Using the stylus, click on the "F" in the menu bar (keep in mind that as the stylus isn't calibrated yet, you may have to click to the right or the left of the F to be able to open the menu).
2. Click on the "Exit Dillo" option.

Alternatively, Alt+Q should also work (but I don't remember if ALT is available in the soft keyboard and I don't have the iliad with me to check it :-? ).
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #20
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know what the problem is with the script, but from terminal I was able to run the command simply:

wireless.sh start "xxxx"

One thing: extremeliy difficult to write in the quotation mark("). - in the terminal => note to irex on their user input interface

Sorry about it but I give a few comments below on the web browser, which works essentially quite well, but without some refinement it is extremely inconvenient to use still. My problems with 0.5 version:

-- letters are too big
-- there is no word wrap
-- constantly blinking green light drives me crazy
-- pages refresh too frequently, often several times when the web site is loading
-- I miss the landscape view
-- sliders, buttons are too small
-- could there be a menu for 4-5 different font sizes, similarly to menu F.

Could we change the way the screen refresh works? That would be welcome if a full-screen refresh would occur only when the user is hitting the page bar, otherwise only a soft rewrite happen?
Advert
Old 12-18-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Sorry about it but I give a few comments below on the web browser, which works essentially quite well, but without some refinement it is extremely inconvenient to use still. My problems with 0.5 version:

-- letters are too big
-- there is no word wrap
-- constantly blinking green light drives me crazy
-- pages refresh too frequently, often several times when the web site is loading
-- I miss the landscape view
-- sliders, buttons are too small
-- could there be a menu for 4-5 different font sizes, similarly to menu F.

Could we change the way the screen refresh works? That would be welcome if a full-screen refresh would occur only when the user is hitting the page bar, otherwise only a soft rewrite happen?
Don't be sorry about it. If we want to make it usable, there should be user reports like yours :-b.

Some of your points are user-fixable (if you don't mind to edit some text files).

1. To change the scale factor (size) of the letters:
edit dillorc file in dillo/.dillo/dillorc
search for the line that says
font_factor=2.0
and change it to a smaller size (i.e. 1.6)
font_factor=1.6

2. There is word-wrap, but the limit is set so that any column of text should not be wider than the screen. That is, you have to use the horizontal scrollbar to see the column, but every column fits in the screen. No fixes for this one :-/

3. Yep. I know that the blinking light is horrible. I have to find why it's not stopping blinking when it refreshes the screen (at least I put code there to request it to stop blinking... but somehow it's not working).

4. page refreshes are too frequent. And it may be a bug. But you can slow down the time between refreshes modifying the file iliad_refresh.conf
open dillo/iliad_refresh.conf
it says "Full 500", that informs libX11 to do a full refresh if 0.500 seconds have passed and nothing has been written on the screen. Other reasonable options are "Typing 200" to make it do a fast refresh if 0.200 seconds has passed (but "Typing" refreshes suffer a lot from ghosting). To minimize the number of refreshes you can try with
Full 1500
that could be read as "refresh at most once every 1.5 s"

5. Landscape mode would be tricky. Dillo uses gtk1.2 which AFAIK, doesn't make it easy to rotate the interface.To make it display the page in landscape we would need to do another approach. I.E. launching an VNC server, displaying dillo there and hacking a vncviewer so that it can rotate the data to display it in landscape at will... In fact it would be another approach to porting apps to the iliad. What I've done to make dillo work is modifying one of the underliying libraries (that libX11 that I mentioned earlier). Using a hacked vncviewer would mean that the app would go basically unmodified and is the vnc viewer what would need to be adapted for the iliad. The catch is that the VNC protocol polls for image changes, and that is not good for the battery...

6. Sliders and buttons too small: to make buttons bigger, change in dillorc
panel_size=tiny
to
panel_size=medium
for the sliders, it should be doable with a gtkrc file; I'll look into it.

7. Adding a menu for font sizes... that would require quite a bit of work, and I have so little time that for now I'll focus on the easy ones O:-).

Ah! And thanks for the report :-).

Last edited by Antartica; 12-18-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling typos. Some rewording
Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #22
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Hi, everybody

First of all thank you to those that are trying to make our Iliad better, i“m sorry i don“t know anything about linux nor programming. I have a question that may seem very stupid for you, but its not for me, how do you create the scripts to open the wireless network and so on? do you use workpad o any other software?

Thanks again and congratulations for your effort.

Jose
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #23
Mambo
Gadget fan

Antartica: thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I still have a problem with the connection script:

wireless.sh start "xxxx"

If I give this command from terminal (xmvrt or what) it works, however the script does not run properly (with the same thing written). What do you think the problem shall be?
I have edited with wordpad, and it launches the wireless.sh script fine (I ran the script from the terminal and could see the error messages), but wireless.sh can not connect, it gives back an error.
Could be the problem the space character in the SSID? My SSID is "XYZCompany Internet" so I wrote

wireless.sh start "XYZCompany Internet"

but it fails. Any idea?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 AM   #24
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I still have a problem with the connection script:

wireless.sh start "xxxx"
Try:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/wireless.sh start "SSID With Spaces" enc WEP_KEY_IN_HEX
If you don't have a wep key miss out "enc WEP_KEY"...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #25
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by templario
Hi, everybody

First of all thank you to those that are trying to make our Iliad better, i“m sorry i don“t know anything about linux nor programming. I have a question that may seem very stupid for you, but its not for me, how do you create the scripts to open the wireless network and so on? do you use workpad o any other software?

Thanks again and congratulations for your effort.

Jose
Notepad will do fine

Or any other text editor (not word, not office, no big program like that). I don't know the name of the default text editor on Mac, if that is what your'e using, but it is there included in the Mac software somewhere.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #26
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
wireless.sh start "XYZCompany Internet"

but it fails. Any idea?
Hmm, try to scape the space with a \ instead of using quotes,
as in XYZCompany\ Internet. The quotes kill another quotes inside the script.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #27
ben919
ben919 began at the beginning.

Iliad web browsing

Followed the steps from earlier posts and cannot connect to internet. Got the shell script hack from iRex, created the start & stop .sh files, and d/l'd and unpacked dillo. The start script does not connect me, and the stop script doesn't stop me. 'run' starts dillo, but the links do not take me to the webpage(s); get the error: 'ERROR: dns cannot resolve (URL)'. And, when I connect to my WLAN using 'Iliad Profiles', then select run.sh, still nothing happens when I select a (any) link on the dillo homepage (in Iliad). Any thots as to the errors of my ways? Thanks!
ben919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #28
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Exclamation connection script & manifest.xml for dillo

Using connectionMgr to connect to Lan or WLAN was mentioned already.
Attached script should connect & disconnect to www, if you configured a correct network profile for LAN or WLAN using iLiad's menu entry "iLiad profiles".

key line of start script:
Code:
connectionMgr --background --stay-connected
[EDIT]: I attached a manifest.xml for dillo -> easier start of dillo.
Both zip-files have a readme file with step2step guide.

dillo web browser download

[EDIT II] I modded wiki entry of dillo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip connectionMgr_script.zip (5.7 KB, 1863 views)
File Type: zip dillo_manifest.xml.zip (28.9 KB, 1741 views)

Last edited by yokos; 02-02-2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: wiki
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #29
ben919
ben919 began at the beginning.

Hmmm ... obviously I wandered off the main trail. Thanks! Nicely done. And, thank you for working to make the Iliad useful to 'the rest of us'.
ben919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #30
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Using connectionMgr to connect to Lan or WLAN was mentioned already.
Attached script should connect & disconnect to www, if you configured a correct network profile for LAN or WLAN using iLiad's menu entry "iLiad profiles".

key line of start script:
Code:
connectionMgr --background --stay-connected
[EDIT]: I attached a manifest.xml for dillo -> easier start of dillo.
Both zip-files have a readme file with step2step guide.

dillo web browser download

[EDIT II] I modded wiki entry of dillo.

Wow! I dont know what to say!

THANK YOU! I've been waiting for this since i got my iLiad; an easy, idiot-proof way of browsing the web!

Thanks again for the nice package!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote