Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 AM   #16
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Well I'm concerned that if the wlan card is powered down and we are still only getting 7/8 hours of life.

I mean they claim that the battery life will be equal to 7 days worth of reading based on moderate wifi usage and 3 hours a day reading. How much more battery life will be can be gained?

It does raise the ugly spectre, that if they can't meet that claim it makes the iLiad I am using (and adore) pretty much useless for what I wanted it for.

Last edited by Riocaz; 07-21-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #17
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
would this work with something like cgi:irc?
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #18
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, the processor doesnt seem to get a lowered spped, the wacom tablet doesnt seem to be properly shut down, and i think the WLAN card is still running.

But if i am wrong, well, then it doesnt look so good with lots of cpu time.

Does anyone know, how powersaving the xscale allows?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, there are a number of XScale over/under-clocking utilities available for the Pocket PC, including XScaleCtrl, Pocket Hack Master and XCPUScalar, so it's definitely possible to change the clock speed of the CPU.

Just don't ask me how...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #20
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
there i a powermanagertest or so on the iliad, which supposedly lets you change cpu speed. havent tried it yet. (scared)
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
does anyone know, how to determine for sure?
If it's hardware ... do as it says in the device programming reference manual.
(Another post suggested it's a Marvell cf8385 or thereabouts.)

There seems to be an archive with Linux cf8385 device drivers on the net -- if the man page to that is correct, this device has more modes and settings than a hedgehog has spines. Many power-save modes ... but the question is: does the iLiad device driver implement these? Or is the current version a quick and dirty version to get something up and running?

And is it even an 8385? Or just something that looks like one from afar?

This is iRex country. Maps are not available.

marvell is at www.marvell.com, but 8385 does not seem to be anything they are prepared to talk about, unless perhaps you register with them.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #22
dougcar
dougcar began at the beginning.

Is there a way to interact with a browsed site, like amazon?
dougcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #23
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
An interesting hack is that the input system of iRex is very open: it only takes control on xpdf (and I guess, on other applications) after you use some iRex key (virtual or real). So you can open a pdf file and use the virtual keyboard... Which only means, I am sorry, the Cntrl-P for printing and Alt-O for open (or was it vicecersa?). It is funny.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #24
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
This is a first attempt for non-intrusive Iliad hack for the geek-but-non-techhead user.

Users: Please test it. You could browse the web.

Developers: Please test it. I have no connectivity right now. If it doesn't work, fix it. If it works, extend it.

The zip contains a hacks.tex that is just needed to extend this stuff.

Usage:
  1. Copy hacks.pdf and addressbar.html to the iliad
  2. "Read" hacks.pdf to enable permanent networking. (Don't forget your Iliad is now wide open for intruders!)
  3. Use addressbar.html to begin browsing.

The addressbar was stolen from schestowitz.com. It's not by me. Credit belongs to whoever wrote it.

Please tell me if it works.

It seems that i have to revive this thread.

I tried following the instructions but i stumbled into a glitch: i cannot refresh the screen while reading the included pdf file -- the keyboard button is disabled. So i guess that means i cannot activate the wi-fi.

Is there another way to refresh the screen, or better yet another method to browse the net?
I tried R2D2's method but it didnt work either.
I forgot to mention: i have the 2.6 firmware

Last edited by vranghel; 08-17-2006 at 03:00 PM.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #25
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You're probably using the latest firmware upgrade (2.6), right? Then this hack won't work for you as iRex in their endless wisdom decided to disable this "feature".

Situation is probably going to improve soon when the SDK becomes available!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #26
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
You're probably using the latest firmware upgrade (2.6), right? Then this hack won't work for you as iRex in their endless wisdom decided to disable this "feature".

Situation is probably going to improve soon when the SDK becomes available!

That's what i tought... Oh well...hope things will improve soon
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 AM   #27
MaGra59
MaGra59 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Update 2.6.1

Hi,

did you check that the Hack works with Update 2.6.1.

It never shows the [OK] window on my iLiad.

Thanks,

--Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
This is a first attempt for non-intrusive Iliad hack for the geek-but-non-techhead user.

Users: Please test it. You could browse the web.

Developers: Please test it. I have no connectivity right now. If it doesn't work, fix it. If it works, extend it.

The zip contains a hacks.tex that is just needed to extend this stuff.

Usage:
  1. Copy hacks.pdf and addressbar.html to the iliad
  2. "Read" hacks.pdf to enable permanent networking. (Don't forget your Iliad is now wide open for intruders!)
  3. Use addressbar.html to begin browsing.

The addressbar was stolen from schestowitz.com. It's not by me. Credit belongs to whoever wrote it.

Please tell me if it works.
MaGra59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #28
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
*please* do the rest of the world the favor to read the thread before posting. It prevents you from waiting for a response and us from being bothered by questions which were already answered.

If you find another way to execute commands, though, you're welcom to report here.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote