Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Edd666666
Enthusiast
Edd666666 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook publishers list?

Hi, thanks to mobicreator, I got my book published on kindle. I wanted to use mobi to distribute my ebook to other sites, but they only use wire transfer and paypal to pay publishers. I avoid paypal at all costs and will never get enough payments to justify wire transfer. So this knocks out mobi as a way to get to other ebook publishers. Does anyone know where I can get contact info for other ebbok publishers besides mobi and kindle? Thanks, Ed

Last edited by Edd666666; 01-27-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Edd666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd666666 View Post
I avoid paypal at all costs
Might one ask why? I've always found it to be a perfectly satisfactory system, and at least here in the UK, it is registered with the Financial Services Authority and governed by the same laws as any other bank, so one's money is fully protected.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Might one ask why? I've always found it to be a perfectly satisfactory system, and at least here in the UK, it is registered with the Financial Services Authority and governed by the same laws as any other bank, so one's money is fully protected.
If some pays you £100 Wire Transfer, you got 100.
If some pays you £100 paypal, you got £96
If you both are in the UK, a foreigner gets rich.

Imho, that's more than enough to avoid paypal.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you get the person to pay you £104, so you still get the £100 .
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
But that someone has to pay £4.17 of wire transfer fee (for instance).

The difference is:

a) The person who gets the money says he wants £100. The other person has to pay £104.17 (=100/0.96).

b) The person who gets the money says the other person has to pay £100. He'll actually get 96.

Choose your system
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I would never personally choose "wire transfer" as a payment method. It is a system that's completely open to fraud, and very insecure. PayPal seems far, far more trustworthy to me because, as I said in my earlier thread, here in the UK at least, it is formally registered as a bank and subject to the same regulations which govern any other bank.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Edd666666
Enthusiast

Does anyone have a list of ebook publishers?

Hi, I can see I should not have put the part in my post seeking a list of ebook publishers, regarding paypal and wire transfers, as it is causing a debate over things I do not need help with. While I appreciate all the input I am receiving I do ask that the responses be confined to sources of ebook publishers. It is my fault for muddling the water, so if anyone can help me locate ebook publishers I would appreciate it. Thanks, Ed.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As far as publishing goes, Ed, I think Amazon and Mobi pretty much covers it. Presumably, though, you've tried going down the road of "traditional" publishers? That will get you far, far greater coverage than self-publishing.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Edd666666
Enthusiast

Thanks Harry, Jellby and Format, Ed
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd666666 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get contact info for other ebbok publishers besides mobi and kindle?
The SWFA's ELECTRONIC PUBLISHING page has a list of links. Note that some of the major players require exclusivity.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
If some pays you £100 paypal, you got £96
If you both are in the UK, a foreigner gets rich.

Imho, that's more than enough to avoid paypal.
If someone pays you $100 in paypal you get $100. Assuming you have a personal account and they pay you from PayPal balance or bank account.

If you have a pro/business account they yes there is a fee to the merchant. But, that is no different than having a credit card merchant account. Granted bigger places like Amazon can get a better merchant rate than the 2% that PayPal charges. But, for the little guy try to find a merchant account that will charge you less than 2% for CC fee is pretty hard. PayPal is the best way for a small online retailer to be able to accept credit cards.

Any merchant should work in merchant account fees into their cost of doing business and set their prices accordingly.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote