Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2024, 10:12 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I honestly don't know how Epubor has gotten away with it as long as they have. Charging money for DRM removal software seems to be one the few things that is clearly deemed illegal in most jurisdictions.
I suspect they are just too small fry for anyone to care.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:27 AM   #32
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Easy is never going to be in the cards for practices that are deemed illegal in many jurisdictions. Whether or not prosecution is very likely, nobody's going to go out on limb and host clean, concise, and up to date FAQs able to be parsed easily by noobs and experts alike. Good developers are rarely good documenters. Throw in volunteers working on stuff that's legally grey and that "rarely" becomes never..
All correct. Which is why it's "incorrect" to correct me for saying this stuff is not easy and clear. And it changes over time, but apparently I'm the only one that's ever affected.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2024, 10:33 AM   #33
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'd agree with y'all if Calibre/NoDRM was actually easy to learn about and use. It's neither.

However, ePubor has never worked for me either. Calibre/NoDRM works for me now - but it's a constant battle for me. Well, it's an every so often battle.
I'm a little fuzzy on what people find difficult about Calibre and NoDRM.
Is it:
  • Calibre itself is too complicated?
  • NoDRM install?
  • No DRM config?
Once you install Calibre, install the NoDRM plugin, and do some relatively simple configuration (NoDRM will automatically detect an installed Kindle for PC or Adobe Digital Editions, and it's easy to find the serial number of your Kindle if you want to enter that), adding an eBook downloaded from Amazon is as easy as adding an eBook without DRM.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:49 AM   #34
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
The "kept up to date" post would have:
- links to the latest versions of Calibre and Plugin that work
- links to the "last official working copies of the kindle app" for those who use that method
- step by step "how to"
- list of file formats able to be liberated, and which one's are not yet
There was literally one time that Calibre version mattered as far as DRM was concerned, and that was a fairly long time ago when there were some major changes. Now, as long as you are somewhere near current with Calibre (you can be an entire major version behind), DRM is not an issue. The only exception is a very few textbooks or books released in certain geographical areas. Since Calibre and NoDRM are free, it costs you nothing to learn whether the particular book you care about is a problem.

The current version of NoDRM works with all versions of the Kindle for PC application. So, the "last official working copy" is available from Amazon.

All file formats that can be imported into Calibre can have DRM removed. You might need to add plugins for the file formats.

Step by step (if this too much detail, mods, please nuke whatever is bad):
  1. Install Calibre
  2. Download NoDRM plugin (Google is your friend)
  3. Install NoDRM plugin into Calibre (plugin install in Calibre is covered by Calibre online help)
  4. Open NoDRM plugin configuration in Calibre
  5. Follow the instructions included with the downloaded NoDRM to configure it correctly
  6. Download book from Amazon in some way (Kindle for PC, Download and Transfer via USB, etc.)
  7. Import downloaded file into Calibre
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:50 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
All correct. Which is why it's "incorrect" to correct me for saying this stuff is not easy and clear. And it changes over time, but apparently I'm the only one that's ever affected.
People who have kept up over the years don't seem to be as affected by the occasional changes/glitches as you are. Noobs and those who only dip their toes in the water every couple of years are always going to be facing a (re)learning curve. Can't be helped. At least not without tipping off those who can make sure the tools won't work any more.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2024, 10:56 AM   #36
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I'm a little fuzzy on what people find difficult about Calibre and NoDRM.
Is it:
  • Calibre itself is too complicated?
  • NoDRM install?
  • No DRM config?
Once you install Calibre, install the NoDRM plugin, and do some relatively simple configuration (NoDRM will automatically detect an installed Kindle for PC or Adobe Digital Editions, and it's easy to find the serial number of your Kindle if you want to enter that), adding an eBook downloaded from Amazon is as easy as adding an eBook without DRM.
It can be complicated, and I feel like the ebook enthusiast community can be really abrasive/condescending towards non-tech people that need help. I got it setup without too much trouble, although even for me, it wasn't immediately clear that the decryption was happening at import time into Calibre and not via a manual invocation of the plugin.

I had to set it up for my wife and my mother, as well. On my mother's PC, the python script to extract the key didn't work for whatever reason, so we had to go the Serial Number route (as an aside, the average end-user has no idea what a "python script" is, so advising to click a tiny executable that pops open a cmd prompt to run a little script-let could look alot like malware to the uninitiated). My wife had it working for some time, then we had to do the DeDRM -> NoDRM migration when she updated Calibre. That went smoothly, but it was a "scary" moment for her, because she didn't want to break it.

It is not terribly difficult for me, but I'm a guy who does tech for a living and uses Linux as his primary computing platform--I'm used to this kind of stuff. Other people aren't. Some people just wanna read their books on their platform of choice. And I frequently see the attitude here (and elsewhere, e.g. on Reddit) of people struggling with the instructions and instead being greeted with, "Why is this so hard for you, you brainless moron?" Then we wonder why people are willing to pay $50 for a program that makes the process "easier"...
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:38 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A part of problem is that specific, step by step, help is not permitted here at MobileRead. So while "Go to the place where you got the tools for help" might sound brusque, it's only because people ask questions that the MobileRead guidelines clearly say you shouldn't ask here. People repeatedly asking anyway can cause people to be shorter than maybe they want to be at times. MobileRead is not the support site for these tools. You're allowed to speak about them in generalities. You're allowed to say a new version has been released. You're even allowed to post a link to the place where they're available. But MobileRead is not the place to ask for detailed help in getting them set up (or for fixing broken installations).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-26-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:49 PM   #38
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I honestly don't know how Epubor has gotten away with it as long as they have. Charging money for DRM removal software seems to be one the few things that is clearly deemed illegal in most jurisdictions.
Probably because in order to prosecute them, they would need to demonstrate that Epubdor actually removes DRM in court. And Epubdor lawyers would simply hand them a book with a newer version of DRM and say, "OK, demonstrate removing the DRM from this." And it wouldn't work. Then the Epubdor lawyers would claim the prosecutor had been cherry picking books with old DRM that is no longer commonly used for their demo, in an attempt to mislead the court. And the case would be dismissed.

A good prosecutor could probably overcome these technicalities and diversion techniques by Epubdor, but a good prosecutor has no doubt been working within the court system for years, and knows that it's hardly worth it to even try. Given that the courts are more criminal-friendly than good guy-friendly.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:53 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Given that the courts are more criminal-friendly than good guy-friendly.
Please don't derail the thread with hogwash. There are appropriate places to disseminate your opinions of the judicial system. This is not one of them.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:31 PM   #40
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Please don't derail the thread with hogwash. There are appropriate places to disseminate your opinions of the judicial system. This is not one of them.
It was merely additional supporting observations on why a prosecutor might not go after Epubdor. The chances of winning would be low, with things I sited being some of the reasons.

No need to make it out to be some kind of planned overthrow of the government. But sadly, I know you will probably do exactly that - and more - in your next reply. But remember, you were the one who brought up the question of how Epubdor has been getting away with this for so long. I just provided one theory of why that may be, in answer to you implied question.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:44 PM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

The current version of NoDRM works with all versions of the Kindle for PC application. So, the "last official working copy" is available from Amazon.
Would that be the stable version, the beta version, or the alpha version. I would think a typical non techie would pick the stable version.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:47 PM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
It was merely additional supporting observations on why a prosecutor might not go after Epubdor. The chances of winning would be low, with things I sited being some of the reasons.

No need to make it out to be some kind of planned overthrow of the government. But sadly, I know you will probably do exactly that - and more - in your next reply. But remember, you were the one who brought up the question of how Epubdor has been getting away with this for so long. I just provided one theory of why that may be, in answer to you implied question.
Moderator Notice
When a mod says “Don’t”, it means, “As of now”. It doesn’t mean, “Take your last shot and we’re good.” Note he cited “appropriate places”, not here.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

All file formats that can be imported into Calibre can have DRM removed. You might need to add plugins for the file formats.

Step by step (if this too much detail, mods, please nuke whatever is bad):
  1. Install Calibre
  2. Download NoDRM plugin (Google is your friend)
  3. Install NoDRM plugin into Calibre (plugin install in Calibre is covered by Calibre online help)
  4. Open NoDRM plugin configuration in Calibre
  5. Follow the instructions included with the downloaded NoDRM to configure it correctly
  6. Download book from Amazon in some way (Kindle for PC, Download and Transfer via USB, etc.)
  7. Import downloaded file into Calibre
You did not include
2.a Install KFX Input plugin in your list.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:20 PM   #44
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
When a mod says “Don’t”, it means, “As of now”. It doesn’t mean, “Take your last shot and we’re good.” Note he cited “appropriate places”, not here.
There was no Moderator Notice (like in your green box above), nor any other indication that the post should be considered a moderator action.

I assumed that a post in these forums invited reply. I also assumed that since moderators here do not identify themselves in their posts or avatars, that they are attempting to appear as regular members and want to participate in discussions as regular members.

Might I ask that moderators identify themselves in their avatars, or use the green box for moderator actions, so that forum members know who is and is not a moderator, and when something is a moderator action as opposed to a normal post that is legal to replay to?

I know you will probably deem my post here as "questioning moderator action". But it is not. I am only asking for clarification on how members are supposed to know what posts can be responded to, and what posts cannot.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:26 PM   #45
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I have always wished calibre would have a GUI wrapper
Please tell me why you would need a GUI wrapper on a GUI program that is simpler and 1000 time easier to use than Word or LibreOffice?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote