Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Device: PSR505
Feature Request, Series book 3 of [Total]

Hi, Folks

I had another thing that was "bugging" me and I hope that this one will make it into a future release of calibre.

Most of the time I read series, and since i read multiple series at a time and even buy them at a different moment in time. Can we ad a [NUM BOX] next to the Series Number field indicating the total number of books in the Series?

Sometimes i forget the total number of books in the series and I dont look up if there is a new book because i think i allready have all.

Triologies are simple but if its more than that i have no indicator if a series is allready complete. ( i know i can use a Personal coloumn with a digit ... ) but then i dont see it the Book details

please see attached mockup.

also the number should be in the detail viewer. like

Book 4 of [5] of Alex Rex.

Thanks

ps. [EDIT] sorry for the typo '=;-) in the header
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup2.png
Views:	235
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	98138  
icq70610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can see custom columns in Book detail perfectly well. You can even create a composite column based on the series column and your custom column that will display as Book x of y in the book details panel.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you'll need a way of updating the right hand number, as additional books in the series come to market.

& how would you handle a series where X books have been released as at today but Y more are know to be in the pipeline or have future release dates?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
icq70610
Enthusiast
icq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enoughicq70610 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you'll need a way of updating the right hand number, as additional books in the series come to market.

& how would you handle a series where X books have been released as at today but Y more are know to be in the pipeline or have future release dates?
Ok fair enough, I added the "personal" list and added it to the details page, works as epxected i just thought that this is a feature that might be used in the standard

and I update the books all the time. its just that if I by a book where i allready know there are only FIVE (5) books in the series i just add them for convinience to remind myself to buy the rest.

thanks for consideration.

The Joker(icq)
Old 12-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@icq70610 - my very first calibre library I tried to do something like you mention as I too thought it would be useful as a visual reminder that there were "more books coming" or I had them all. In my case I put the number of books in the series name in parenthesis, such as "Lord of the Rings (3)". However as pointed out it only works where that number is known and not for open ended series. Or equally, for series where you "think" they are complete, but then the author decides to throw another book into it (sometimes many years later). Heck even an author's death doesn't always guarantee the end of a series.

So once I realised that since I couldn't "rely" on that series count number, in combination with the ongoing maintenance to update it on every book in the series I just dumped it. Instead I use a combination of creating empty books as wishlist items for a visual reminder of upcoming or missing books, as well as just a quick flick via a keyboard shortcut of my Search the Internet plugin to bring up the author's page at Fantastic Fiction if I have any uncertainty about whether a series is complete or not.

If anything I think rather than a series count, some sort of flag at series level to mark a series as complete or not would be more useful. That way you don't have to update it on every book every time it gets added to. Of course that would then beg the question of how to visually represent it, like an asterisk after the series name or whatever.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
http://www.fictfact.com can help track series. You receive email updates when a new book in a series you follow is released.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
http://www.fictfact.com can help track series. You receive email updates when a new book in a series you follow is released.
I also find this an excellent site to keep you apprised of new releases to series you're reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
icq70610
Enthusiast

Hi, All,

1) first thanks for "fictfact" thats a brilliant service, i wasn't aware of that at all.

2) @all, i used multiple combinations of tracking the Series throughout the release of new books, right now i still use a Y/N flag + color coding the complete lines. That was the best I could come up with.

As with the point of creating "empty" books i also tried this one (i even created a special cover / "No Book yet" it also helps to maintain.

So it seems thats te only way to "deal" with multiple books series,

thanks for all the info + confirmation + the WEBSITE ...

really its a nice service :-)