Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #61
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve View Post
Hm, check this out:

root@ereader:/media/cf/books/iNewsStand# ./run.sh
-sh: ./run.sh: not found
root@ereader:/media/cf/books/iNewsStand#

I am not a linux expert - what does this mean?
Ehem... it means I unzipped the files on a windows box and copied them to a CF card meant to be used on a Linux box

Anyway: Now i get an error box "Can't connect to FeedBooks.com etc".

This is caused, I guess, by the connection-mgr-thing breaking the otherwise more-or-less-working connection. I'm going to create another shortcut that doesn't use the connection-mgr-thing and see if it works better when I manually start the wlan first and then starts iNewsStand.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #62
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

As long as I start the connection myself, using wireless.sh start xxx, it works like a charm (slow, but there could be many reasons for that, including some bittorrent stuff running on my computer).

A really great program!!! I can't say how cool I think this is. Personally I think something like this should've been iRex pri 1 from day 1. Exepting the battery life improvements and pdf speed enhancements, this is about as useful as ALL OTHER IREX SOFTWARE UPGRADES TOGETHER!

Finally the "News"-button can be used to something useful. (I have to reorganize my iLiad files now).
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #63
narve
iLiad fan

Seems I'm having a conversation with myselves here, so I'll try to involve somebody else

1) There is a typo in the manifest.xml, says donwloader instead of downloader

2) Are there some documentation on the inewsstand.xml? Can it be used to specify where you want your stuff to go?

And now: Off to read slashdot/bbc/+++ in my bed. Finally
Old 12-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #64
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
As long as I start the connection myself, using wireless.sh start xxx, it works like a charm (slow, but there could be many reasons for that, including some bittorrent stuff running on my computer).

A really great program!!! I can't say how cool I think this is. Personally I think something like this should've been iRex pri 1 from day 1. Exepting the battery life improvements and pdf speed enhancements, this is about as useful as ALL OTHER IREX SOFTWARE UPGRADES TOGETHER!

Finally the "News"-button can be used to something useful. (I have to reorganize my iLiad files now).
Glad that you love it. Keep in mind that this is the first test version. We'll improve the UI, remove a few bugs and once there's a cache system for the RSS feeds, things will be much better on this side too.

In the future, we'll do much more than just RSS feeds for newspapers, we already have sudokus, but I hope we'll be able to create something very close from a personnalized newspapers, with all sorts of widgets displaying relevant information.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #65
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Seems I'm having a conversation with myselves here, so I'll try to involve somebody else

1) There is a typo in the manifest.xml, says donwloader instead of downloader

2) Are there some documentation on the inewsstand.xml? Can it be used to specify where you want your stuff to go?

And now: Off to read slashdot/bbc/+++ in my bed. Finally
It goes where you specified the books/news/etc folders in your iLiad configuration file.

We'll also add manifest.xml support in an upcoming version. This way, you'll also get a book cover for every downloaded book.
Advert
Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #66
narve
iLiad fan

Let me know if you have a bug/feature request site, I have plenty of ideas and minor quirks.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:36 AM   #67
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
It goes where you specified the books/news/etc folders in your iLiad configuration file.

We'll also add manifest.xml support in an upcoming version. This way, you'll also get a book cover for every downloaded book.
For me, higher pri would be to remove old feeds (or specify folder, so that at least only one folder gets messy).

But of course, most important is the connectivity - for me it is still not really usable, since I must use SSH and pings and stuff to try to keep the connection alive long enough to download something.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #68
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Let me know if you have a bug/feature request site, I have plenty of ideas and minor quirks.
You can post it in this thread.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #69
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

I have a problem running every one of the three zips. Like Narve, I only get a blinking green light and nothing else. Firmware 2.11. How can I solve this?
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #70
Blue
Connoisseur

Ow i've tried running the program from an SD card and from the internal memory, all attemps failed offcourse
Old 12-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #71
acetik
acetik began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Smile

I'll try to release a new version for Xmas.
acetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:20 AM   #72
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I have a problem running every one of the three zips. Like Narve, I only get a blinking green light and nothing else. Firmware 2.11. How can I solve this?
Two things to try:

1) Make sure that you didn't do the windows-unzip-copy-to-linux-mistake I did.
Unzip on a linux box (on the iLiad if you have the patience). If you don't have one available, I'm not quite sure how to avoid it - if you have ssh-access to the iLiad, you can unzip it there, or just edit run.sh afterwards.

2) Copy the run.sh (for backup), and comment out the connectionMgr lines. That did the trick for me, but I then have to start the network stuff manually. (I have a StartHomeWLAN.sh file that I click on first).

I used Adams version, which has some small but useful fixes as far as I could see.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #73
Blue
Connoisseur

How about: someone unzips the folder on an linux device and zips it on a windows device and uploads it to this forum? I'll try to figure out how to get ssh access if I find the time, else it's after my exams .

Hadrien a suggestion: make it plug in and play?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #74
iAmBeer
iAmBeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I get automatic emails any time there's a repsonse to a thread I post in. And I 'm notified of new emails automatically.

That's odd. Try the file attached. If it doesn't work, let me know what's in the error.txt and output.txt
I got the same problem as narve after I touched the icon the green light blinked for
a while and return to the content list. No program run and I can't find out where
are the error.txt and output.txt

edit:Ahhh Blue already asked this question, sorry!! I didn't read thorough this thread

Last edited by iAmBeer; 12-22-2007 at 04:53 AM.
iAmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #75
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
How about: someone unzips the folder on an linux device and zips it on a windows device and uploads it to this forum? I'll try to figure out how to get ssh access if I find the time, else it's after my exams .

Hadrien a suggestion: make it plug in and play?
Hadrien/Adam, didn't you make a magic install-and-run scheme some time ago?

Regarding the linefeed-problem: I'm actually not quite sure how to fix it properly (I hate everything related to charsets/encodings!), but one solution that definitly works is to unzip the files to the CF card and then edit them in a proper text editor that can save in Unix-format. JEdit/TextPad should work, UltraEdit definitely can do this. It is only run.sh that needs to be modified.

While you're in the editor, try removing the connectMgr lines and see if you at least get a proper error dialog (No connection available or something like that).