Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #46
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
What I would love is that the pdf created by the software would include the comics that the rss feed would link to. Or am I asking too much?
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #47
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Finally, here's a first test version. This is purely for testing, and if you have any comment on the app itself, if you encounter any bug, please report it in this thread.

A few extra points:
  • We've added epub and mobipocket support for the books. This is 100% server side, we could add any other format in the future without any change on the app.
  • Books should already work very well.
  • Feeds/Newspapers is still a bit complicated for the moment. As long as we don't have the cache, some feed will work much better than others. For the moment I would advise you to use only single feeds instead of newspapers, and feeds without too many images. This will change in the future: as soon as we're done working on the cache system, everything will work fine and run much faster.
  • The connection on the iLiad keeps turning off, there's something to keep it on, but you might get the "connection not working" error a few times. This might be the biggest bug/problem left in the application.
Attached Files
File Type: zip iNewsStand.zip (1.08 MB, 667 views)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #48
Blue
Connoisseur
Blue is on a distinguished road

Woohoow! Thx!!

Now if only I could find my iliad...
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #49
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Stephen also did a short video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pu_G5KpAnR8

We'll do a real demo once we're past the first public beta.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 AM   #50
PhilT
Enthusiast
PhilT began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Just tried it with 8 feeds and a book. Works great! However, some of the RSS PDFs don't seem to get generated correctly but this ocurrs from the website too.
PhilT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #51
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
Just tried it with 8 feeds and a book. Works great! However, some of the RSS PDFs don't seem to get generated correctly but this ocurrs from the website too.
Yep that's what I said in my previous post. It's due to the current lack of a cache system, but we're working on this...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #52
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Okay, this is a great application. I think that if iRex could deliver this through the IDS, it would be the killer app for the iLiad.

There are a few notes I have that could make it even better, some I have discussed with Stephen, but I figured I'd put them here for all to see and to keep them organized.
  • Change the LDFLAGS line in the makefile to the following to get rid of the cairo and pangocairo dependencies:
    Code:
    LDFLAGS=-I`pwd`/include/ -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lpng12 -lm -lXrender -lX11 -lxml2 -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0
  • If you use this version of curl in your development environment, it will prevent needing the updated curl library.
  • Using the above 2 methods, I can get the installer down to 190k. This can easily fit inside the main memory and hopefully be distributed via IDS.
  • If you store the configuration xml file in /mnt/settings it should remain after firmware updates and iNewsStand version upgrades.
  • The program should trap the upper left button and use that to close out of the application.
  • It would be nice if the page flipper was able to flip between tabs of the application. Perhaps also update the page counter at the bottom as well.
  • Perhaps the program could issue a ping command every few seconds to keep the wireless connection alive
  • Something was wrong with the manifest in the post. I had to recreate it for it to work.

I'm attaching a version that I compiled that does not need any dependencies other than what's built into the iLiad.

Really, this is excellent work. Great job to Stephen and Hadrien.
Attached Files
File Type: zip iNewsStand.zip (43.4 KB, 588 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #53
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

I've been really looking forward to this program!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get it to work. Hadrians version crashed my iLiad (an empty error dialog popped up and stayed there, had to reset). Adams version causes the green light to blink for a while, then it is back to the content lister.

Probably just my bad computer karma. I guess I should do some serious work anyway :-|
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #54
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve View Post
I've been really looking forward to this program!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get it to work. Hadrians version crashed my iLiad (an empty error dialog popped up and stayed there, had to reset). Adams version causes the green light to blink for a while, then it is back to the content lister.

Probably just my bad computer karma. I guess I should do some serious work anyway :-|
Are you running firmware 2.11?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #55
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Are you running firmware 2.11?
Wow, are you RSS'ing this forum or something? Fast response!

Yes, I'm using 2.11. Any more info I can give you?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #56
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:

I could try to start it using SSH, but I have a stupid problem: I'm out of TP-cables, and the wireless connection from iLiad is the most crappy thing I have ever seen. I am lucky for it to remain stable for more than 2-3 minutes.

(But it works perfectly when updating...)

And this while running a ping to the iLiad, and a ping the other way if the connection is alive long enough for me to start it.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #57
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
I could try to start it using SSH, but I have a stupid problem: I'm out of TP-cables, and the wireless connection from iLiad is the most crappy thing I have ever seen. I am lucky for it to remain stable for more than 2-3 minutes.

(But it works perfectly when updating...)

And this while running a ping to the iLiad, and a ping the other way if the connection is alive long enough for me to start it.
Yep the wireless connection is a real problem here. Might be the reason why it crashed although it should simply display an error message instead.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #58
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:

I get automatic emails any time there's a repsonse to a thread I post in. And I 'm notified of new emails automatically.

That's odd. Try the file attached. If it doesn't work, let me know what's in the error.txt and output.txt
Attached Files
File Type: zip iNewsStand.zip (43.5 KB, 579 views)
Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #59
narve
iLiad fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I get automatic emails any time there's a repsonse to a thread I post in. And I 'm notified of new emails automatically.

That's odd. Try the file attached. If it doesn't work, let me know what's in the error.txt and output.txt
Later - I am busy downloading books using the now-working iNewsStand

I tried ssh'ing in. I keep an ping -t iliad (from my windowsbox), and the connection is up and down. I have auto-reconnect in my ssh-client, and the connection goes up again quite often.

I then tried starting run.sh thru ssh, and it didn't work. I think the problem might be the connectionmanager part of run.sh - it crashed my ssh-connection and the network connection. I then started a new ssh-session and tried ./iNewsStand, and the application is up and running.

I've even downloaded Also sprach Zarathustra twice - I guess the GUI could need some minor adjustments

Do you want me to attach my entire ssh log? There were quite a lot of messages there

Last edited by narve; 12-18-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #60
narve
iLiad fan

Hm, check this out:

root@ereader:/media/cf/books/iNewsStand# ./run.sh
-sh: ./run.sh: not found
root@ereader:/media/cf/books/iNewsStand#

I am not a linux expert - what does this mean?

Anyways, if I start the application using ./iNewsStand it works. I don't know if the command

root@ereader:/media/cf/books/iNewsStand# connectionMgr --background --stay-connected

worked or not, but it could seem as if the connection got back up again whenever iNewsStand needed it. At least I managed to download three books even though my ping sometimes were silent for long periods.

I'll do some more experimenting and report back if I find out anything. Gotta try some of the RSS functionality. I attach the output of the connectionMgr in case it is of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: txt conmgroutput.txt (2.0 KB, 462 views)