Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #17116
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
For my next read, I'm debating between The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. Both have been on my Kindle waiting to be read for quite a while. I've read The Hobbit a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed it but have never read The Lord of the Rings books.
I think I'm going to read The Name of the Wind first.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #17117
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I just finished The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville by Shelby Foote. I am going to read The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian by the same author. These are amazing narratives about the Civil War.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #17118
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm grinding my way through John Burt's Lincoln's Tragic Pragmatism - about 40% in now; it feels like I'm trying to cut my way through a huge snowdrift with no end in sight.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #17119
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Finished: And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
Reading: the Lyonesse series (currently on book 2) by Jack Vance
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #17120
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished Blameless by Gail Carriger. I didn't like it as much as the other 2 books, so I probably won't read the rest of the seies or awhile. I'm now reading Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. I think it's fantastic so far.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #17121
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (review here) and absolutely loved it. I had read all the Discworld novels so it was great to come across something from Pratchett I haven't read. I'm only surprised it took me so long to read this.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #17122
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King - I seem to be enjoying these books less and less as the series progresses. The first book was my favorite, but increasingly the characters seem to spend entire chapters doing nothing, and the mysteries cannot compete with any of the mysteries from the original stories that grabbed you from the first page. The only reason I continue to read them is that I enjoy the Holmes character and want to see more of him. I might take a break before reading the next one.

Currently Reading:

- The Shining by Stephen King (41%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #17123
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It's been a while, but my memory is that they get better again about at this point. But by all means take a break.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #17124
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Finished Pratchett´s "Long Earth" a bit ago and now considering to read the sequel "Long War". Anyone read it yet?

I am a bit torn apart on the first one. I have read pretty much everything Pratchett ever published and loved most of it. The Long Earth obviously is completely out of his usual genre, and the main idea is quite fantastic. Which is usually a good thing. I am just not certain if I feel it is TOO fantastic. Either way, the style of writing usually sucks me in. Yea, think I will need to read the second one before I make up my mind on the first one

Last edited by Pismire; 07-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #17125
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismire View Post
Finished Pratchett´s "Long Earth" a bit ago and now considering to read the sequel "Long War". Anyone read it yet?

I am a bit torn apart on the first one. I have read pretty much everything Pratchett ever published and loved most of it. The Long Earth obviously is completely out of his usual genre, and the main idea is quite fantastic. Which is usually a good thing. I am just not certain if I feel it is TOO fantastic. Either way, the style of writing usually sucks me in. Yea, think I will need to read the second one before I make up my mind on the first one
I have commented on my reading of The Long Earth previously, and in summary it felt like a (very) long preamble to a story that never really arrived. I am tempted to try The Long War to see if it delivers that story, and would be interested in your opinion of it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #17126
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm about a third of the way through The Long War at the moment and, if I'm honest, I'm finding it a bit slow. It looks like the stories of several different characters (some from The Long Earth and some new) are being told with, I hope, a view to them converging in some kind of conclusion later in the book. So far, it all feels a bit preparatory (if you know what I mean).

I'm going to persevere though, so I'll try to update you when I've finished it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #17127
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I made the mistake to read amazon revisions, some of which state the same as Bilbo does. I don´t know if it works like that for you, but other peoples amazon revisions more often than not keep me from purchasing the item in question

Will pick up The Long War sometime soon. You know the feeling when you are reserving a good book for just the right time? However the references, Pratchett books are always a bit special to me. Even the one about poo
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #17128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Secret of Chimneys", by Agatha Christie. Originally published in 1925, this was her 6th novel, and the first featuring Superintendent Battle and Lady Eileen "Bundle" Brent. The plot features a murder at a diplomatic conference aimed at giving British Government support to restoring the Monarchy to the (fictional) European country of Herzoslovakia, in exchange for oil rights for British companies.

A very good book indeed, one of the best of her early thrillers. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #17129
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "The Secret of Chimneys", by Agatha Christie. Originally published in 1925, this was her 6th novel, and the first featuring Superintendent Battle and Lady Eileen "Bundle" Brent. The plot features a murder at a diplomatic conference aimed at giving British Government support to restoring the Monarchy to the (fictional) European country of Herzoslovakia, in exchange for oil rights for British companies.

A very good book indeed, one of the best of her early thrillers. Highly recommended.
I'd never heard of that one! I'll have to check it out!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #17130
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
halfway through After Life by Jaron Lee Knuth - cant beat a bit of zombies
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote