Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #16
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindroush View Post
To answer some questions:
1) I still think that natural built-in support for multiple series is the only "good thing to do". Everything else is plain hacking, with (IMO very) limited functionality.
a) for example, if I enter book into Series1 #1 and Series2 #13 using the hacks above - would I see Series2 in series browser? Would search find it? Would grid sort by it? etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, yes, and yes.
eschwartz,
Could you please clarify how entering either series name in a search would return the other series?

For example, we have a series called The Red Series and another series called The Orange Series. We have one book (Red Meets Orange) that fits into both series. In The Red Series, this is the first book. In The Orange Series, this is book thirteen.

What database structure/fields are needed? What search is used?

I'm wondering if I'm overlooking some simpler means to handle such cases.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
eschwartz,
Could you please clarify how entering either series name in a search would return the other series?

For example, we have a series called The Red Series and another series called The Orange Series. We have one book (Red Meets Orange) that fits into both series. In The Red Series, this is the first book. In The Orange Series, this is book thirteen.

The searching solution is described in post #9. It assumes that you have multiple series columns (the normal + N custom) and that the grouped search term contains all the columns.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
OK, you have a book that fits into two series. Let's call them A & B. Now you have two series columns. The original series columns and the new one called series2. To search using the series column names, you have to have a much more complex search as you have to search 4 times basically. You have to have each column search done twice to find if that column has A or B. Then you have to do the same thing again. Would it not be easier for the user to allow two series in the already existing series column instead of making searching more complicated?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Wouldn't it be better to search without any series column name, just search:
Code:
"series2"
And that works with the current codebase...

Alternatively, searching for:

Code:
series:"=series1" or #custom_series:"=series2"
is not significantly harder, and using the tags browser makes it even easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
eschwartz,

Basically this.^^

And of course, regarding my other two points (in case anyone was wondering):
You will see the #custom_series column in the tag browser, and can click it just like the current series.
You can sort by any custom column, allowing you to view an entire series in order. Better this, than only being able to sort by the first series_as_a_tag_based_column value..

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-17-2014 at 11:43 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
OK, you have a book that fits into two series. Let's call them A & B. Now you have two series columns. The original series columns and the new one called series2. To search using the series column names, you have to have a much more complex search as you have to search 4 times basically. You have to have each column search done twice to find if that column has A or B.
I'm not sure it has to be be that hard? Have a read of Post #9 from chaley.

Quote:
Then you have to do the same thing again. Would it not be easier for the user to allow two series in the already existing series column instead of making searching more complicated?
Apparently not, read Post 12 once again from chaley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Kovid has said many times that changing the original series column to contain some sort of multiple series/range will not happen. FWIW: having worked in that code at length, I agree with his position. Such a change would be a massive undertaking.
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-18-2014 at 12:03 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you do post #9, it works (if you do it right the first time ) for searching for Similar series after configuring the option (properly) at the bottom of the 'Searching' configuration

You can also use the assigned series Category name: in my case: allseries

search allseries:<the series name>
this check both of the columns in 1 gitgo
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you do post #9, it works (if you do it right the first time ) for searching for Similar series after configuring the option (properly) at the bottom of the 'Searching' configuration

You can also use the assigned series Category name: in my case: allseries

search allseries:<the series name>
this check both of the columns in 1 gitgo
That would work. But, what about devices that support collections made from Tags and Series. Do the plugin(s) all have options to allows another column to be used to create collections as well as Tags and Series? If not, then a second column is worthless in terms of device management.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fortunately, they do.

Otherwise, those genre columns would be useless also.

Also, the plugins would be useless to anyone who didn't agree with the author's precise combination of collections sources.

Also, this was about library management not device management.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-18-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
That would work. But, what about devices that support collections made from Tags and Series. Do the plugin(s) all have options to allows another column to be used to create collections as well as Tags and Series? If not, then a second column is worthless in terms of device management.
Take a look at that section of search config and you will see possibilities (it is not limited to just 2 fields)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
JSWolf, I still have to know a device which has shelves based strictly on a calibre column, foreigner to ePub spec or manufacturer designer (device, not specific program like Calibre Companion or Marvin).

Anyway, I have another two custom columns for series... which go nicely to Kobo.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 12-18-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: My configuration
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Or a device which, like the Kobo and Kindle, knows nothing about calibre but does know how to read the changes caused to its own database by a calibre plugin.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
JSWolf, I still have to know a device which has shelves based strictly on a calibre column, foreigner to ePub spec or manufacturer designer (device, not specific program like Calibre Companion or Marvin).

Anyway, I have another two custom columns for series... which go nicely to Kobo.
I know Sony Readers use the Tags and Series columns to create collections. I don't know if the plugin is configurable as to which columns get used. When I get access to one of my Sony Readers, I'll have a look.

I know Kobo is configurable as I had to set it up as to which columns to use.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Or a device which, like the Kobo and Kindle, knows nothing about calibre but does know how to read the changes caused to its own database by a calibre plugin.
Do older Kindles still have the ability to have collections created by the computer or has that been done away with by some firmware update?

Newer Kindles cannot have the computer create collections without a jailbreak and a separate plugin. So that's not really relevant to the topic at hand. It's only relevant if the Kindle can have the computer create collections from unmodified firmware.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know Sony Readers use the Tags and Series columns to create collections. I don't know if the plugin is configurable as to which columns get used. When I get access to one of my Sony Readers, I'll have a look.

I know Kobo is configurable as I had to set it up as to which columns to use.
It's totally configurable. I can tell you because I have the same python function to create a column that I used previously at my Sony 350, later at my Kobo Mini and now at my Kobo Aura and HD.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Newer Kindles cannot have the computer create collections without a jailbreak and a separate plugin. So that's not really relevant to the topic at hand. It's only relevant if the Kindle can have the computer create collections from unmodified firmware.
I'm not so sure about that. I think some old kindle allowed to create collections from calibre without jailbreaking, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Tags
feature request, series