Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Shogun - James Clavell - not epub?

Just checking - has anyone donwloaded this from the sony site yet? I take it as it's on the sony site it is in .lrf, not epub (still using my PRS500).

James Clavell's Shogun

Otherwise I'll have to look for a lit or mobipocket version
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it certainly won't be in LRF format if it's on the Sony site. Sony do not set LRF-format books, only LRX.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is available as an ePub from Books on Board and also in the UK (e.g. from WHSmith).

I use ebookprice.info for any generic US-ebook searches now. It does not distinguish between Adobe ePub and PDF, but currently only Books on Board stocks ePubs.

EDIT: BoB says this is an ePub but it is also sold as "Adobe Digital Editions" by Powell's and Diesel. I tend to believe BoB on this (since there is a UK ePub), so other book stores may be selling ePubs - they just are not saying so.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-27-2009 at 08:48 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
lrf, lrx whatever the prs500 reads natively. Being in the UK but owning a prs 500 i don't use the waterstones or WHSmith sites, nor Borders as they've recently started selling ebooks in the Uk too) as they sell ePub and my prs500 doesn't know anything about that new fangled stuff.

So, it's mobipocket or lit files for me (so I can convert them with calibre) or else the PRS500 native file.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas View Post
So, it's mobipocket or lit files for me (so I can convert them with calibre) or else the PRS500 native file.
So far as I know, all ebooks for sale at the Sony store are LRX, not ePub.

I completely missed your PRS-500 comment, so my earlier post was a bit off topic. If you can use DRMed LIT and MOBI then ePub will work for you too, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is available as an ePub from Books on Board and also in the UK (e.g. from WHSmith).

I use ebookprice.info for any generic US-ebook searches now. It does not distinguish between Adobe ePub and PDF, but currently only Books on Board stocks ePubs.

EDIT: BoB says this is an ePub but it is also sold as "Adobe Digital Editions" by Powell's and Diesel. I tend to believe BoB on this (since there is a UK ePub), so other book stores may be selling ePubs - they just are not saying so.

I don't think highly of that site, sorry.

For example, if one goes to Fictionwise and looks up Shogun, this is the breakdown:

Regular: $7.99
Club Price: $6.79
Cost after rebate: $4.07

NOTE [By Me]
: The difference between the "Cost After Rebate" and the "Club Price" (if paid with a credit card), is then applied to your account as a Micropay Rebate which simply means that the difference is applied to your account to use. It's money in the "bank," so to speak.

Furthermore, the site you list doesn't even mention ANY PRICE in the "Microsoft Reader" format, which is indeed available from Fictionwise.

The pricing information for this website you mention is just way too skimpy and doesn't really give one the exact information needed in order to make an educated choice.

This is my opinion, of course; however, I'm glad that the site works for you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The pricing information for this website you mention is just way too skimpy and doesn't really give one the exact information needed in order to make an educated choice.
I was using it as a search engine, rather than to shop for price. FictionWise is a special case, but they are apparently working on a way to allow the selection of a different FictionWise advertised price.

They also just added a separate ePub column, which includes Waterstones in the UK. So it may now be able to find UK-rights ebooks.

Missing a particular format at a particular store is a risk with on-line searches. However, Shogun is not currently available as a LIT at FictionWise.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I was using it as a search engine, rather than to shop for price. FictionWise is a special case, but they are apparently working on a way to allow the selection of a different FictionWise advertised price.

They also just added a separate ePub column, which includes Waterstones in the UK. So it may now be able to find UK-rights ebooks.

Missing a particular format at a particular store is a risk with on-line searches. However, Shogun is not currently available as a LIT at FictionWise.
You are indeed right about that, and I stand corrected. [Embarrassment! ]

For some reason, I was confusing eReader with Microsoft Reader, even though I know the difference.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
rwillmer
luzme.com
rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.rwillmer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPhone, iPad
Just to let you know, if you haven't seen it from my other post, I've added in all the Fictionwise prices now.

As an aside, it's been quite interesting playing around with that to see how frequently the "Rebate" price has come in cheaper than the "Club+Rebate" price - don't think I quite understand Fictionwise's pricing policy!

Any other suggestions welcome!

Rachel
rwillmer is offline   Reply With Quote