Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #16
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like the Cotton Malone series by Steve Berry. Each book revolves around a different historical mystery that needs to be decoded, and his adventures are spread all across the globe.
Sounds great! Will make sure to check them out. Thanks.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 03-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Gazella, actually I was thinking of Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. I haven't read his Century trilogy yet.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thank you for starting this thread. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a "Dan Brown" style book -- one that isn't actually by Dan Brown. I've noticed a lot of indie books in that style.When I first got my Kindle, I bought a couple of them, added a bunch to my wishlist, downloaded a lot of samples. I even created a category/shelf called "Codeian Thrillers" on my Kindle. But...

But I'm been afraid to read any of them because the reviews are all over the board, with authors accused of bad writing and even worse research. (Although sometimes it's the reviewers who get the facts wrong. One author got a bad review because he had characters speaking Persian instead of Arabic. ) Also, a lot of the thrillers promise to be "controversial," but the controversy often turns out to be "Why didn't the author hire an editor?"

So has anyone else had luck, good or bad, with indie "Codeian" and architectural thrillers? Please help me clean out my wishlist -- it's getting clogged!
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
So has anyone else had luck, good or bad, with indie "Codeian" and architectural thrillers? Please help me clean out my wishlist -- it's getting clogged!
It'd be nice to know the books you have on your wish list and your "Codeian Thrillers" collection as you call it. Plus that way, we'll know which books in your collection/wish list are worth reading
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
It'd be nice to know the books you have on your wish list and your "Codeian Thrillers" collection as you call it. Plus that way, we'll know which books in your collection/wish list are worth reading
Ooh, good idea. The Codeian Thrillers collection includes the following, most of which I got when there were ebook bargains. I still have to start most of them, let alone finishing them (sigh), and some might be more techno-thriller than "Codeian."
The Radix by Brett King
The Devil Colony by James Rollins
The Roswell Conspiracy: Tyler Lock 3 by Boyd Morrison (Hi Boyd!)
Pandora's Temple by Jon Land
The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry
The Trinity Game by Sean Chercover
The Lost Constitution by William Martin
The Templar Concordat by Terrence O'Brien
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
The Second Messiah by Glenn Meade

Samples of
A sample of God's Lions: The Secret Chape by John Lyman
30 Pieces of Silver: An Extremely Controversial Historical Thriller by Carolyn McCray
The Nostradamus Prophecies by Mario Reading
Plague of Coins (The Judas Chronicles #1) by Aiden James

My wishlist is huge. Again, some of these might be pure adventure and not so much archaeological.

Spoiler:
The Protocol (A James Acton Thriller, Book #1) (James Acton Thrillers) by J. Robert Kennedy

The Judas Codex - No secret remains hidden forever however well buried by James Stevens

THE SIXTH KEY by Adriana Koulias

The Coming by Michael Rigg

The Genesis Code by Christopher Forrest

Chasing Eden (Eden Thrillers) by B.K. Sherer

Tomb of Atlantis by Christopher David Petersen

Bones of Angels by Christopher Forrest

Ice Tomb Second Edition by Deborah Jackson

The Bone Chamber (Sydney Fitzpatrick) by Robin Burcell

Solomon's Throne by Jennings Wright

The Bones Of Odin (Matt Drake 1) by David Leadbeater

The Larmenius Inheritance by John Paul Davis

33 A.D. (Bachiyr, Book 1) by David McAfee

The Ragnarök Conspiracy by Erec Stebbins

The Pharos Objective by David Sakmyster

The Last Good Man by A. J. Kazinski (Hardcover)

The Paradise Prophecy by Robert Browne

The Lazarus Vault by Tom Harper

Book of Souls (Will Piper) by Glenn Cooper

The Painted Messiah by Craig Smith

Quest (Dane Maddock Adventures) by David Wood

The Pyramid of Doom: A Novel by Andy Mcdermott

The Egyptian by Layton Green

The Secret Crown by Chris Kuzneski

The Nostradamus Prophecies by Mario Reading

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury

God's Lions: The Secret Chapel by John Lyman

The Thieves of Darkness by Richard Doetsch

The Atlantis Code by Charles Brokaw

The Trespass (An Archaeological Mystery Thriller) by Scott Hunter

The Breath of God: A Novel of Suspense by Jeffrey Small

Scarab by Stavros Halvatzis

The Rozabal Line by Shawn Haigins

The Alchemist's Secret by Scott Mariani

The Icon: A Nove by Neil Olson

The Last Cato: A Novel by Matilde Asensi

Edited to Add:
And did I really write "architectural thrillers"?!

Now that's a genre I'd like to see...

Last edited by Critteranne; 03-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Edited to Add:
And did I really write "architectural thrillers"?!

Now that's a genre I'd like to see...
Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" is precisely that - an architectural thriller.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
On your wishlist I have read the books by Raymond Khoury, Andy McDermott and Scott Mariani and would recommend them! They are all recognized authors. I especially like the Mariani books.

Another author I like is Kate Mosse. Start with Labyrinth. She writes strong female characters.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
If you're interested in a very light version of that general theme, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore is great fun.

Edited to add that I love these types of books too and I see new ones to check out suggested by people. Yay!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Some more books in this genre that I have read are the Daniel Knox series by Will Adams, The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber and People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks.

I really enjoyed the Ken Follett books mentioned, both the Pillars of the Earth series and the newer Century series. Although I wouldn't personally classify them as "Dan Brown" enigma-type thrillers. I still highly recommend them however!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 03-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
On your wishlist I have read the books by Raymond Khoury, Andy McDermott and Scott Mariani and would recommend them! They are all recognized authors. I especially like the Mariani books.

Another author I like is Kate Mosse. Start with Labyrinth. She writes strong female characters.
Thanks for reminding me about the Mariani. I could have sworn I bought The Mozart Conspiracy, but I don't seem to have it after all. Maybe I was just thinking it over when I saw the paperback at the B&N.

On Amazon, I'm fascinated by the way so many of the indie authors have many more reviews than, say, Chris Kuznesk are Allan Folsom or some of the other similar writers appearing in hardback and paperback. Are people more likely to post a review if they bought the Kindle version? Or are those indie authors selling that many copies because of the cheaper kindle prices? Some of the indie authors on my "Codeian" wishlist have higher overall ratings, too, but I don't always trust those numbers. I've come across too many one-star reviews that say something useless like "The book never arrived in the mail."
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Try Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. Clues, symbols? We got plenty of stinkin' clues. One Amazon reviewer says the book reads like a hyperstylized game of literary three card monte. If Dan Brown were an intellect, then he might one day write "The Lot 49 Code".
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Try Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. Clues, symbols? We got plenty of stinkin' clues. One Amazon reviewer says the book reads like a hyperstylized game of literary three card monte. If Dan Brown were an intellect, then he might one day write "The Lot 49 Code".
Excellent! Added to wish list. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #29
Gazella
Wizard

Books similar to Dan Brown's

Quote:
Ooh, good idea. The Codeian Thrillers collection includes the following, most of which I got when there were ebook bargains. I still have to start most of them, let alone finishing them (sigh), and some might be more techno-thriller than "Codeian."
I haven't read any of the listed books. But Umberto Eco and Steve Berry's books have been recommended by several members here so they're worth reading.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #30
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
If you're interested in a very light version of that general theme, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore is great fun.
I agree! Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore had that Dan Brown feel to it, though much more lighthearted.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote