Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Byske
Byske began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
can't access recovery mode

I was trying to backup my Sony PRS-T2 (Firmware 1.0.04.11081) with rupor-rescue. I followed the description, but I can't manage to boot into recovery mode. The reader always boots into normal operation mode. I tried both, the "reset & press buttons" way and the command line option via ebook_msc.
I copied the folder "OS Firmware" onto the SD card and tried to set recovery mode. The reader is booting, then the screen is flashing (inverting), then it reboots again, but there's no serial port detected.
I tried to re-download the rescue files, but it didn't improve.

Is there any limitation for the size of the MicroSD which prevents the device booting from card? Mine is 16GB.

Any suggestions what I can do?

Last edited by Byske; 01-06-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Byske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Byske

I wasn't able to jailbreak, nor to root. But finally I got it!

Yes, there is indeed a limitation for the size of the bootable SD card! I didn't dive too much into it, but I guess it's the old 8GB partition limit.

The simple solution: I deleted the 16GB partition on my MicroSD, created a small 4GB one and left the rest empty. Now everything worked flawlessly: booting into recovery, jailbreak and root.
I guess I will buy a dedicated small SD card for hacking purposes.
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Byske

It seems that not the size of the partition was the cause of my problems. I did some more testing and extended the partition to 10GB, later to the maximum of the card (16GB) and I was able to boot into recovery.
The only guess I have is the partitioning of the SD card. First I did a format from the readers initialization menu. Later I deleted the whole partition with 'Minitool Partition Wizard' and created a new one. Maybe it was just a problem with the default partition scheme.