Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #151
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
No, that is normal. The situation that is a bug is that a paragraph stops in the middle of the screen, then there is a sentence on the top of the next page (the bug) and then the new chapter starts on the following page (normal behaviour). I will try to find where this last happened in my current book and post a photo.
I don't think I've seen this. Oh wait... maybe a loooong time ago... hmmm, but that was in a very badly formatted book I think. Well anyway, I can't remember properly so there's no point in guessing.

However, I did encounter the bug where a chapter that is longer than a page/screen always starts on a new page/screen, independent of how empty or full the screen is where the paragraph should start.

I don't have the book that had very very long paragraphs on my reader any more. I might add it later to see. Has anyone been able to see if this has been fixed or not?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #152
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
No, that is normal. The situation that is a bug is that a paragraph stops in the middle of the screen, then there is a sentence on the top of the next page (the bug) and then the new chapter starts on the following page (normal behaviour). I will try to find where this last happened in my current book and post a photo.
This is still happening.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #153
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
However, I did encounter the bug where a chapter that is longer than a page/screen always starts on a new page/screen, independent of how empty or full the screen is where the paragraph should start.

I don't have the book that had very very long paragraphs on my reader any more. I might add it later to see. Has anyone been able to see if this has been fixed or not?
This is still happening.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #154
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This is still happening.
Thanks murg.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #155
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo
Anyone seeing the 2.4 firmware for the Kobo Touch yet? Some of us are still in the stone age.
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #156
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Hey Been using the 2.4.0 firmware and noticed that when you hit the center of the screen, the top bar flashes the time and title of the book your reading. Its the first time I noticed Is this a new feature?

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #157
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
What spec? As I interpret your post: there's something somewhere that says widows and orphans should be set to 2 or 3... and Kobo decided to respect that?
It is the CSS spec. See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html
Quote:
What I believe is: Kobo has set their widows and orphans to 2 or 3, and of course should respect their own settings.

However, I don't understand (disagree with) the setting in the first place. What exactly is the advantage of a paragraph starting on the next page so that the first or last 2 or 3 lines don't end up "alone" on the previous or next page respectively? Have you ever seen a novel do that?
I tend to think the same thing. But, I was reading a book that didn't have the paper book styling I like. It had gaps between paragraphs and no indent on paragraphs. What I found was that for shorter paragraphs, the separation seemed to help comprehension. I could take in the whole paragraph in one go. With that, the widows/orphans settings might make sense. But, not enough to change my preferred styling.
Quote:
If you find yourself restlessly wanting to investigate this the two books that I sent you in the testing-battery thread were originally not split. I think they contained about 7 chapters per file. I did let Calibre split them for me so if what you say is correct those books should have those nothingness lines as well. (Actually, I'm beginning to doubt whether I did actually send you the converted versions... I might have given you the un-converted for extra badness... hmm)
Yep, you gave me the unconverted versions. Or, maybe I should say the unsplit versions. Did a quick test, and the split worked properly. There is a div which is used by the in-line TOC, but it was kept with the chapter heading.

I had a hunt through other books I had, and found something like what David reported. These had been converted from MOBI files. The "mbppagebreak" div was at the end of each chapter. It didn't have the extra empty paragraphs, but that is probably in that particular book, though I have seen some just like it.

Got it half right
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianryan View Post
Anyone seeing the 2.4 firmware for the Kobo Touch yet? Some of us are still in the stone age.
See Samheer's post earlier in the thread. It is being rolled out over the next week. Anyone outside of North America who has it, has manually installed it.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #159
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Hey Been using the 2.4.0 firmware and noticed that when you hit the center of the screen, the top bar flashes the time and title of the book your reading. Its the first time I noticed Is this a new feature?
It was definitely in 2.3.1. But it might have been added in 2.2.0.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #160
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
See Samheer's post earlier in the thread. It is being rolled out over the next week. Anyone outside of North America who has it, has manually installed it.
Ah, missed that as I was skimming over the thread. Thanks.
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #161
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Monkey View Post
However, it seems 2.4.0 has created a new problem for my Kobo Mini. Ever since I got the update, syncing seems to take forever and simply does not complete.

At first I didn't think much of it as syncing can normally take a little while to finish up. However, after 2.4.0 was installed it just never finishes. It gets stuck "loading content". The first time I noticed it had been syncing for about 15 minutes which is longer than normal but I just stopped it and tried again and left it a bit longer but it was not getting any further.

Anyone else experience similar symptoms?
Yes. For some reason it downloads fine but the processing content step seems to take way too long. You can carry on reading and let it crunch away while it does its thing. Going to try a sign-out/in to see if it's a database issue later today.
Perchance are you subscribed to any newspapers?

EDIT TO ADD: sign-out/in nor factory reset has sped up loading content.

Last edited by robko; 02-18-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Adding new info
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #162
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
It is the CSS spec. See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html

I tend to think the same thing. But, I was reading a book that didn't have the paper book styling I like. It had gaps between paragraphs and no indent on paragraphs. What I found was that for shorter paragraphs, the separation seemed to help comprehension. I could take in the whole paragraph in one go. With that, the widows/orphans settings might make sense. But, not enough to change my preferred styling.
Ah thanks for the URL. Interesting. That would mean there's not much chance of Kobo changing that to 0 or to give user preference for it I suppose. I thought it was just Kobo throwing some numbers in

Quote:
Yep, you gave me the unconverted versions. Or, maybe I should say the unsplit versions. Did a quick test, and the split worked properly. There is a div which is used by the in-line TOC, but it was kept with the chapter heading.

I had a hunt through other books I had, and found something like what David reported. These had been converted from MOBI files. The "mbppagebreak" div was at the end of each chapter. It didn't have the extra empty paragraphs, but that is probably in that particular book, though I have seen some just like it.

Got it half right
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #163
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Added feature of 2.4.0 Book specific fonts

Each title now remembers the font you select as well as size, spacing, margins etc

Very Nice

Thanks
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #164
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
The situation that is a bug is that a paragraph stops in the middle of the screen, then there is a sentence on the top of the next page (the bug) and then the new chapter starts on the following page (normal behaviour). I will try to find where this last happened in my current book and post a photo.
I found an example. It's from Storm of Swords (GOT 4-book bundle) by GRRM. If it's relevant, I looked at the same location in the book on a KK (.epub converted to .mobi by calibre) and the text is presented on the same page with no page break between the second and third page (correctly).

First page
Spoiler:

Second page
Spoiler:

Third page
Spoiler:

Fourth page
Spoiler:

treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #165
mobenm
mobenm began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Ready to buy a kobo glo but ...

Hello, i tried a kobo glo and i'm ready to buy it but i have a problem: the light is too bright in the night.
Is there a mode to invert colors in night mode (letters in white and background in black) whith the new firmware 2.4 on the kobo glo?
Could you tell me if it happens in a futur firmware?
Thanks for your answer.
Benoit (Sorry for my english)
mobenm is offline   Reply With Quote