Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
That does not hurt, but AFAIK all EPUB reading softwares read the language from the metadata section of the OPF file (as required by the EPUB specs) so the xml:lang tag in the pages is essentially ignored.

Last edited by AlPe; 06-24-2012 at 09:27 AM.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why do you insist on saying stuff like this? MOBI is no more predisposed to being "full of garbage code" than any other format is. Not supporting CSS means that there will be much more in the way of inline attributes—spans and font tags and the like. It certainly doesn't look as good; I'll grant you that. And while that's unfortunate and not as "pretty" to look at or as "editable" as xhtml with some subtly applied CSS might be, it's not "garbage code," it's the code that's required to make a MOBI function.

Garbage code is garbage code... and no format is immune or predisposed to it. They're all equally susceptible.
I know every eBook format can be full of garbage code. Just take a look at a lot of the ePubs from Smashwords. There, your garbage in, garbage out.

But more often when I look at the code of a Mobipocket from a BPH vs an ePub from a BPH, the ePub is OK and the Mobipocket can easily be a mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But more often when I look at the code of a Mobipocket from a BPH vs an ePub from a BPH, the ePub is OK and the Mobipocket can easily be a mess.
I run into the same amount ugly retail ePub as I do ugly retail MOBI, myself. Perhaps we just buy from different publishers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote