Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
yes I have v160 and its documentation says it has root options but I cannot figure out how to access them. I have rooted my PE with Z4Root.

Simply put, I don't know how to set the system folder as Read/Write.. I can't find that option anywhere..
I did this this morning on my de-phoned Droid with ES File Explorer; it took me a minute to figure it out. Open ES, go to the Menu, choose Settings. At the bottom of the settings list is Root Options. Give root permission, then choose the tick that says Mount File System.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I guess I'm missing something obvious here.. I have no "menu" option

edot: **duh I'm a moron.. the "menu" button... DUH thanks!
edit: ** duh I spelled edit wrong

Yeah in all seriousness though.. I knew what to do I just didn't know how to access the settings menu! haha

Also based on what I was reading, this bug is corrected on newer droid versions. Also might be a good idea to restore these files before doing an update (or a restore).

Last edited by MasterTec; 07-12-2011 at 04:50 PM.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #18
muranternet
Connoisseur

Update: 95% battery after 4 hours on and off, mostly off. 71% eDGe idle (not cell standby), 25% WiFi, 6% display. I know that doesn't add up, but it's significant that there is no cell standby in the list, which used to be listed as a second eDGe idle entry and took most of the battery draw. This is very encouraging.

I was talking with an engineer about the system mod, and he proposed a theory that if there is no antenna and the system ping is not returned, Android starts increasing frequency and amplitude of requests, so the process battery draw is actually greater on an Android device without a cell antenna than with. Neither of us knows if this is true, but it may be interesting to investigate.

I've seen all sorts of theory on both sides regarding removing phone.apk and power savings; usually theory comes down on the "no difference" side while anecdotal experience comes down on the other. I'll always go with experience, but some benchmarking may be in order.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #19
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
is the market mod working without phone.apk
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
Billbofet
Billbofet began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Hello all,

I learned this from hacking my other tablet, but it's better to rename these files as "Phone.old" and "Telephony.old" instead of deleting them. This way, if you need to revert, it's just sitting there waiting for you vs. having to mess around re-installing a backup.

Hope that helps!!

P.S. I renamed these files in Root Explorer. Make sure permission is set to "R/W" then long hold on system/app - then "Phone.apk" or "Telephony.apk"
Billbofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
QDman
QDman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
OK, I Z4Rooted, got the latest ES File Explorer, went to Settings and Root Options, and it wants me to select CM or HiAPK.

I'm guessing I should choose the latter?
QDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
I used CM. And I think renaming the files instead of just ripping them out is a good idea. In my quest for decreasing power usage I also shut down autoupdates and autosync. I keep the display brightness low. Locking down the tablet display and using airplane mode if I'm just reading helps a great deal. How much difference does increasing the wifi sync interval make? I know I read about in the forum but can't find it again.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #23
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
This sounds like a good find, guys! I'll check it out tomorrow and add it to the tweaks thread. Have we confirmed that this gives significantly better battery life? I hardly ever let it run out, so I don't know.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
QDman
QDman began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunodosoma View Post
I used CM. And I think renaming the files instead of just ripping them out is a good idea. In my quest for decreasing power usage I also shut down autoupdates and autosync. I keep the display brightness low. Locking down the tablet display and using airplane mode if I'm just reading helps a great deal. How much difference does increasing the wifi sync interval make? I know I read about in the forum but can't find it again.
Thanks muchly. I'll give 'er a try.
QDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I just renamed them and it appears to be working. Too soon to say how it affects performance, but so far it looks good! Thanks guys, you rock (and - BTW - I updated the tweak thread).
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #26
muranternet
Connoisseur

I'm trying some barely scientific benchmarking right now using Battery Graph and Stay Awake. I'm doing short tests using Stability Test for CPU capping, Stay Awake to keep the screen on, and also closed and sleeping as a control. Interestingly I think the screen is way more draining than capping the CPU. Will repost when I have some numbers.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #27
muranternet
Connoisseur

vicinc, I never managed to get a working market so I don't know, but since NC users do this and their devices aren't market-crippled I think they'd mention it.

The 3 conditions I tested were full CPU for an hour, screen on but no activity for 2 hours, and closed/sleeping for 2 hours, all in airplane mode since I stay in airplane mode all the time. In each case removing the apks bought me about 1% battery per hour, consistently. That's less than I'd hoped, but (1) those processes should never draw any power in airplane mode, and (2) in the closed lid test, my battery levels for no apks and loaded apks were 100% and 98% after two hours. Even counting the tiny extra power over the 100% measured level I've observed on the PE, that's pretty significant if you have it closed in a bag most of the time.

If I get time, I'll try it again with airplane off and no WiFi to see if it's worse.

Oh: the settings/battery usage meter is pretty useless.

Edit: The reason I say the tiny draw is significant is because whenever I battery graph the PE in a low draw configuration I get a short line at the beginning where it still thinks it's at 100% battery, then it starts draining at a constant rate as measured by the graph slope. If this is because full charge is really something like 101% or 102%, then the idle draw of the phone processes is closer to 1.5% or 2% per hour.

Has anyone figured out a way to clear battery memory in the PE since you can't actually pull the battery?

Last edited by muranternet; 07-15-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
Byzantius
Mobile Tech
Byzantius began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 1005PE, Pocket Edge, PSP3000
How do I find phone.apk?
Byzantius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
muranternet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzantius View Post
How do I find phone.apk?
It's in the /system/app folder. When you rename/move it, the PE will start force closing constantly. I just had to bring up the power switch dialog and hit power off a lot until I got lucky.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
Byzantius
Mobile Tech
Byzantius began at the beginning.

Device: Asus 1005PE, Pocket Edge, PSP3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
It's in the /system/app folder. When you rename/move it, the PE will start force closing constantly. I just had to bring up the power switch dialog and hit power off a lot until I got lucky.

Im still not seeing that folder with neither the es explorer nor windows. I am rooted. Please help.
Byzantius is offline   Reply With Quote