Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Need Help With KindleGen File Path

Well, doggone if I don't need a good guide here. Running Mac OSX 10.5.9 (Intel). Need to convert epubs (on Desktop in folder EPubs_Uploaded) into mobi. Downloaded KindleGen, put it in Home directory as Liz Castro instructed. Now I'm lost in the wilderness. Got a good flashlight, anyone?
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
KindleGen for Mac:
1. Download the KindleGen.zip to your Mac in a location such as your home (~) directory.
2. Unzip it under '~/KindleGen'
3. Open a command prompt and type '~/KindleGen/kindlegen'.
4. You will see instructions on how to run KindleGen.
5. To convert a file called book.html, go to the directory where the book is present, eg. 'cd Desktop' and all you have to do now is type '~/KindleGen/kindlegen book.html' and if successful, you will see a successful conversion and a new file on your Desktop called book.mobi.
Please note: It is recommended to follow these steps to run KindleGen. Double-clicking the KindleGen icon does not launch this program. Run the above commands without quotes.

Edit: I have a PC kicking around here which I run the Kindlegen on, I find it alot easier to use...IMO

Last edited by Adjust; 10-27-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
NewDay
Connoisseur

Adjust, thanks for the response. I did follow that path, highlighting the folder ("directory") within Home that contains the epub I want to convert, then opening Terminal I ran that command, but all I could get was that it recognized the KindleGen was a directory. No further action. That's why I need a "click here, dummy" kind of guideline.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

I ran the one you posted here through it... it didn't like the SVGs...

The table option worked well... which I'll pinch

I'll try to get it running here, give me few minutes
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict

Ok

Unzip the Kindlegen program.
Change the folder name to "KindleGen" instead of whatever it was called.
and put it here:

Make sure you .epub is on the desktop

Open the terminal and type the following:

cd ..
[make sure you put the space between the cd and the ..]

pwd [this shows you what directory you are in.]

now for the important bit.

cd desktop [changes directory to the desktop]

~/KindleGen/kindlegen Wannabee.epub
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
NewDay
Connoisseur

mmmmWAH! Exactly what I needed. Good Karma coming to you, Adjust! (*click*)