Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Why does the page refresh on eink devices bother people so much?

I see the flashing as no different than turning the page in a book. It takes a moment and then it's done. I have a K1 and it's as slow as any device might be in that area and I hardly notice it...

I realize some simply can't accept it in the "it's just how it works" category. Others can't not focus on it, but how do these people read books? You have to turn pages, right?

And when I do actually use my K1, I do not even notice the flash/page-turn, I am thinking about what I am reading just as I do when reading a book.

Not asking about this to be inflammatory but rather to understand why it is such a big deal.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I suspect eBook reading devices are seen as basically being a different sort of iPod or Palm Pilot, and so people expect the same sort of response rates they have come to be used to on those devices.

Hence the page refresh flash making them feel like the device is somehow primitive or "broken".

Or so I am guessing.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Doesn't bother me. After the first few pages of the first book I read I was used to it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I suspect eBook reading devices are seen as basically being a different sort of iPod or Palm Pilot, and so people expect the same sort of response rates they have come to be used to on those devices.

Hence the page refresh flash making them feel like the device is somehow primitive or "broken".

Or so I am guessing.

- Ahi
I think you're correct, Ahi. It's similar to how a cow-orker of mine couldn't get over the fact that I have to plug in my Sony Reader to transfer books. In his mind, book purchasing is done wirelessly because that's how the Kindle does it (never mind that he doesn't own one or have any experience with one). At the same time, he has zero qualms with plugging in his iPod to transfer music or plugging in his camera to transfer his pictures. It's all about what a person's expectations are.

Just look at that survey where the main feature that was wanted from "ebook readers" was longer battery life. From that, it's very clear that few (if any) of those surveyed actually had any experience with dedicated ebook readers. Expectations don't necessarily have to have anything to do with reality.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
It drives me crazy that I can't quickly skim across pages. In addition to 5+pps flipping for proximal navigation, there's twice that rate for global navigation, and about half of that for casual local skimming. None of that is really possible with readers, excepting the sad joke they do in some situations if you hold the page-next key or whatever. If all you do is very slowly and linearly drag yourself through a text and only flip pages when you are ready to repeat a slow, methodical drag through the next page, then it's not a problem. I have to force myself to read novels that way on my reader, and it drives me nuts if I've just come back to the reader from reading a paperback. I much prefer viewing pdfs on my desktop screen and scrolling through 2-page leaves with the scroll wheel of my mouse.

The flash is actually probably a positive thing considering it is a form of visual feedback, even if delayed. Eliminating that while keeping the same geologically-slow refresh rate would doubtless be even more maddening.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like my reader. I'm really enjoying it since I got it. I can't say as the flash or slowness, in general, bothers me. But...

I'm not looking for an "experience" when I read; I'm not looking for something that mimic's a paper book. I'm looking for something that I find comfortable to read on that let's me read the way I want to read. The screen inverting between page turns just doesn't seem natural to me.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I see the flashing as no different than turning the page in a book. It takes a moment and then it's done.
For page turning one at a time while reading sequentially through a book it's no problem at all.

For multiple page turns and when navigating menus or library screen it's a
big inconvenience.

Any similarly readable and low power screen technology that has a refresh time less 0.1s will wipe the floor with eInk. There just isn't one yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I see the flashing as no different than turning the page in a book. It takes a moment and then it's done. I have a K1 and it's as slow as any device might be in that area and I hardly notice it...

I realize some simply can't accept it in the "it's just how it works" category. Others can't not focus on it, but how do these people read books? You have to turn pages, right?

And when I do actually use my K1, I do not even notice the flash/page-turn, I am thinking about what I am reading just as I do when reading a book.

Not asking about this to be inflammatory but rather to understand why it is such a big deal.
If I wanted to watch Hi-Def movies via broadband in 1080p on my e-ink reader, I *might* be rather miffed at the refresh rate. However, as I only desire to read my vast collection of novels, I'm also quite happy with it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It doesn't bother me at all. I find the flash less disruptive than turning the page of a p-book.

As far as jumping ahead, I like the feature on most of the Sony devices that let you use the # keys to enter the page you want to jump to. And on the touch models you can zoom ahead by altering the page swipe motion. If that feature is on the Cybook, I've never found it.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I suspect it mostly concerns people who only see e-ink readers in passing, and they wonder if they could get used to it.

I think I recall one person here at MR say that the black flash annoyed them so much they returned their reader, but other than that, almost everyone says, "I noticed it for two minutes when I first got the device, and never thought about it again."

However, page turn rate for trying to skip past multiple pages is annoying. It never bothers me when reading (except for some badly-formatted PDFs, where the reader can take upwards of 5 seconds to flip the pages), but it can bother me when I'm trying to find a section. (I suppose a reader with search would fix that. Hm. May look into Aztak's Pocket Pro soon.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have the EZreader basic and the screen never goes black on the page changes and once is has changed pages it never needs to refresh.

Chuck
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
After reading some thousand pages I find the flashing still somewhat annoying and would be happy if e-Ink technology could get rid of it some day.

For the time being I choose to either deliberately blink while the page is turning or look up for a second somewhere else - something I do too while reading books.

I can fully accept that some people rather prefer the comparable higher strain of a LCD display to the eye to the flashing of an e-Ink page turn.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I think I recall one person here at MR say that the black flash annoyed them so much they returned their reader, but other than that, almost everyone says, "I noticed it for two minutes when I first got the device, and never thought about it again."
That would be me only I didn't return it I gave it away. I can put up with the amount of time it takes to turn the page (that's just a matter of knowing where in the text to hit the button for it to turn just as you finish the last line) but the length of the flash on the PRS-505 was just too long for my liking. I'm happy to say that isn't a problem with my new reader as the screen flashes black for a much shorter time and I'm happy to say is acceptable and hasn't caused me any problems.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I have to say that I found the screen flash to be pretty weird when I first saw it, I was just too used to normal lcd screens, but it is something I don't pay any attention to these days.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
In most cases I don't even usually notice the screen flash on my PRS-505.

The only time I do is if I go to read somthing in the morning on a winter or early spring day. Seems the cold temperature really slows down the refresh process. And by cold I mean ~2°C or lower.
sherman is online now   Reply With Quote