Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I am the only one who saw it and thought of Dorothy, the Tin Man, and all?
Maybe? The string "grand wizard" doesn't appear once in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Maybe? The string "grand wizard" doesn't appear once in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
True, but to 'me,' the term 'wizard' will always be associated with ruby slippers and the Lollipop Guild. I guess I'm just not negative enough to deal with the modern world. I like to think happy thoughts.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm old enough to remember the huge billboard on Route 17 just as you crossed the state line from North Carolina to South Carolina that read, "Welcome to South Carolina: Home of the Ku Klux Klan." That sign was there for years and years. I live in an area where few white people my age don't know of family members or relatives who were members of the Klan. A cousin told me he'd seen my grandfather's robe in his closet. On any given day, I can drive around local neighborhoods and count more Confederate flags than U.S. flags. I realize the phrase is only meant to conjure playful images of magic and make-believe and I appreciate that. I can only describe what my life-experience has taught me to associate with the phrase, and it's anything but playful.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can only describe what my life-experience has taught me to associate with the phrase, and it's anything but playful.
Yep. And switching it to something like "Great Wizard" would be relatively trivial (from what I understand about the backend), remove the inadvertent KKK connotation, and retain playfulness. And have a bonus Oz resonance.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I hadn't noticed it being used; if I had, I'd've checked the rest of the person's data. If they were from outside the US, I might assume it was just a cute way of declaring themselves higher-status than a "Wizard"; if they were from the US, especially from the south, I'd expect it was a strong statement about their political leanings.
Since it is obviously an automatic title slapped onto the top of many users here making assumptions such as these is a stretch.

I grew up in Pennsylvania and until someone here said something I saw the title as a fictional title from fantasy. After all in the context of a site dedicated in a large part to reading fiction to assume anything else would be a giant leap in logic.

That said, if Alex chose to change the level to Grand Mage or Grand Sorcerer it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-02-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: sp
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #21
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm old enough to remember the huge billboard on Route 17 just as you crossed the state line from North Carolina to South Carolina that read, "Welcome to South Carolina: Home of the Ku Klux Klan." That sign was there for years and years.
There's no doubt that being a Yankee, and a far northern one at that, I certainly never had those same associations. The only sign I remember when going down south was "Just 5 more miles until Pepe's South of the Border!"

On the other hand, the Klan was extremely active in New York City back in the 30's and 40's, but targeting the immigrant populations settling into Manhattan and Brooklyn.

But in this thread, I haven't really seen anyone stating solid 'objection' to the name, only saying that they wouldn't mind seeing something other.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
slippy
slippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than momslippy loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Sony PRS-300
Using 'Immortal' as part of a username may offend those of a religious bent. In my mind it smacks of equating yourself with God, or at least hints of idolatry. May I suggest you change your name to something less controversial?
I personally don't feel this way, but I take offence on behalf of someone who might.

I don't really take offence.

Why do people hunt out reasons to be offended on the behalf some unknown 3rd party?
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
I'm not easily offended by any means, but I just noticed that many users had the title of "Grand Wizard" bestowed upon them by the forum, which immediately made me think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

Just something to think about. I'm sure that no harm was meant when creating this title and I know that this community is a diverse one.
Your argument has been heard by the powers-that-be and a command decision has been made. That particular auto-generated User Title has been changed to "Grand Sorcerer".
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
When will one get it? After 5.000 posts or sometime else?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Outside of the "Junior Member" tag that's automatically assigned to all new members, I don't know at what point each auto-generated title kick in; but anyone can override their own auto-generated title at any time by going to their User Panel and selecting "Edit Your Details" from the list on the left. When they kick in may soon be a moot point, as the current list is 8 years old and the board's owner is considering adding some new titles.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The KKK isn't just a Southern thing either. I lived not far from a KKK Grand Dragon for many years, and this was in North East Ohio. I'm glad to see a change was made.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
...I'm glad to see a change was made.
As am I. I was never offended because I realized the name was chosen to suggest something playful, fun, and magical; but considering my upbringing and environment, seeing that title always made me feel uncomfortable; and it's obvious from things said in this thread that I wasn't alone.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
When will one get it? After 5.000 posts or sometime else?
Yes, at 5000 for Grand Wizard.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Only henceforth it will be Grand Sorcerer. The software changes have already been made.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Except now it's Grand Sorcerer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote