Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
benhofb
benhofb began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story HD (Brand New!)
Exclamation New Story HD. Help!

Okay, I just got a brand-spanking new Story HD from buy.com. I was playing around with it earlier and it was functioning fine. It shipped with a dead battery and was running firmware 1.00. I connected it to WiFi after the battery was fully charged and the device updated to firmware 1.32 (via the wifi updater), the most currently released firmware. The device downloaded some 10 files and then the 1.32 update (which was very bizarre in size; somewhere around 400KB) afterwards. Right now, I am experiencing some... Issues.
  • The device freezes whenever I insert my SD card (even my empty one).
  • For some insight, I have a 4GB "Gigaware" 2 Class SDHC here from radio shack. I just formated the card and everything, yet it still isn't working.
  • Whenever I reset the device by holding the off/on slider, it does reset the device, but the blasted thing changes the time and date as well.
  • When I read a book and hit the "Back" key, the device freezes for a second and then takes me all the way to the home screen. Oddly enough, the cursor keeps going to the "Sign Into Google Ebooks thing".
  • EDIT: Now when I hop out of a book, it freezes. It keeps saying I was last reading the "Story HD User Guide"
  • EDIT 2: The collins english dictionary is now freezing upon word search.
  • I have disabled the wifi after my updates as well.

Also, Here is a screen of the root directory and system folder. Perhaps something is missing, or a file that is there shouldn't be...?

*Note: all the files in the "System" folder say they were last modified in 2011.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Was it something I did that could have busted it? Can I fix this by downgrading to 1.29 or something (if so, how)?

Please, if anyone knows or has some suggestions, it is extremely appreciated. I just got this device for my birthday, and it would kill me if I had to ask my parents to send it back.

Last edited by benhofb; 07-12-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: New developments in the case...
benhofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhofb View Post
  • The device freezes whenever I insert my SD card (even my empty one).
  • For some insight, I have a 4GB "Gigaware" 2 Class SDHC here from radio shack. I just formated the card and everything, yet it still isn't working.
  • When I read a book and hit the "Back" key, the device freezes for a second and then takes me all the way to the home screen. Oddly enough, the cursor keeps going to the "Sign Into Google Ebooks thing".
  • EDIT: Now when I hop out of a book, it freezes. It keeps saying I was last reading the "Story HD User Guide"
Those could be bookDB related. Try deleting the bookDB.* files in the system folder.
Quote:
  • Whenever I reset the device by holding the off/on slider, it does reset the device, but the blasted thing changes the time and date as well.
  • I have disabled the wifi after my updates as well.
The time resetting is a known problem - it syncs the time when you connect to the internet though.

So I suggest you sync the time first and then delete the bookDB.* files and then see if it works better or not.

Did you put a lot of books in internal memory? It may cause problems if it's full. I suggest you put all books on SD card instead, if possible.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
benhofb

Okay, so last night after I finished the first post, I had remembered that I exited out of the "First Start Wizard" prematurely, THEN updated the device afterwards. Thats when things started to get weird. So I just re-ran the wizard with the 1.32 firmware and the device seems to be working %95 perfect right now. Books are exiting fine, and the dictionary works. I reconnected it to the wifi, and that did fix some of the clock issues.

Also, that one file in the root directory, "firmup_complete" has vanished from the device after I ran the Startup wizard again.

As far as the SD card, I am still having some issues. I mentioned earlier that it was a Class 2 4GB card (which was a freebie) that I have had for awhile. I originally bought the device to read japanese Mangas on it, so I of course loaded all my scans to the SD. I have 1.23GB in scans loaded on my SD card, and when I put the card in the iriver, it freezes the device and I have to do a hard-reset. I think this might be because one or two things:

A) The Mangas must be added to the SD card while inside the iriver, not via a card reader.
B) I need to gradually move all the mangas over, not one huge clump of 1 GB at a time.
C) I need to invest in a bigger, higher class card that can be more easily read and accessed.

Also another thing that is likely caused by the SD: whenever I read a manga off the SD, the pages take FOREVER to load. I click to turn the page and it takes around 1-20 seconds to turn the page.

Nonetheless, reading anything from the internal memory works just fine now. No hics or anything. The only thing that bugs me is that the text size cannot be set default for every epub you read.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
[*]When I read a book and hit the "Back" key, the device freezes for a second and then takes me all the way to the home screen. Oddly enough, the cursor keeps going to the "Sign Into Google Ebooks thing".
I think this is not a bug but a feature.

Quote:
. I have 1.23GB in scans loaded on my SD card, and when I put the card in the iriver, it freezes the device and I have to do a hard-reset. I think this might be because one or two things:

A) The Mangas must be added to the SD card while inside the iriver, not via a card reader.
B) I need to gradually move all the mangas over, not one huge clump of 1 GB at a time.
C) I need to invest in a bigger, higher class card that can be more easily read and accessed.
I think if anything helps then B. I would say your iRiver is trying to index all the books and this will take a lot of time when you have 1.23 GB of scans.
Maybe it helps you if you change from Collection View to Folder View. You can do this under Settings -> System Settings -> Library View Options.
This could change the behaviour of the back button, too. It will then bring you back to the folder from where you opened your book.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I think this is not a bug but a feature.
Actually, the back key should work as expected. If you entered a book from the main menu screen, that's where the back key should take you; if you're in a specific folder and open a book there, the back key should take you back to the folder. That's how it works for me anyway.

Do you have any files/folders with very long names on your card, as that is known to cause freezes (or rather, database update infinite loops). Usually happens when there is a path/file name that is around 200 characters in total.

Also try a different model/brand of SD card. For 4GB cards, make sure it's SDHC compliant and not the old SD standard which officially supports only up to 2GB.

If you have a digital camera or MP3 player or any other device which uses FAT filesystem and is capable of formatting SD cards, try formatting the card using one of those devices. It's a shame the iriver can't do that by itself - maybe I could make a mod for that, but it'd only work with wifi / Web Portal.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
benhofb

Alright, here is the current status of the device:
  • The menu is set to "Folder View"
  • The folder names are all shortened to avoid reaching the 255 character limit (I think that was a major issue)
  • I figured out lag was due to some of my scans having color pages (the pages will load and go to the next page, I just need to get to a black and white image for the speed to fully return).
  • The back key is now working as it is supposed to. It stopped being a weirdo after I re-ran the Startup Wizard.
  • Note: The SD card I have is properly formatted, FAT32, in windows. I have been making sure to do this with the Panisonic SD card formatting tool.

I may look into getting a better SD card as I have had this one for a long time and it has been used in many devices. I am sure it is only SD and not SDHC which could also be causing undesired issues. It is most likely I will look into one of those Patriot Class 10, 32GB SDHC cards from tiger direct. Might as well snatch one up while they are only 21 bucks.

So, as of right now, I am going to play it extremely safe and load each folder onto the device separately, also making sure their folder names aren't too long. Some scanners feel it necessary to name each image with the manga name, volume, chapter, and page number. So, I think I am going to have to seriously abbreviate some...

Last edited by benhofb; 07-13-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Grammer issues...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Some scanners feel it necessary to name each image with the manga name, volume, chapter, and page number. So, I think I am going to have to seriously abbreviate some...
CBZ might work so you can put entire volumes (zipped) on it rather than individual image files. Fewer files to look at should help the updating process. File name length within the zip file should not matter to the device.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
benhofb

Few quick questions about CBZ (hope you don't mind):
  • I know the iriver supports normal Zip files, but is there a difference to the CBZ and Zip formats?
  • Can you just rename the Zip to CBZ, or do you have to convert it?
  • Is there any lag or lengthened load times when using CBZ/Zip?

I also know that there is a way to add metadata to a CBZ in calibre, so that would be pretty cool to do (rather tedious, though). Just an after thought.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

It's just ZIP files. Metadata is optional. I don't know if the Story HD understands meta data of CBZ files.

As for lag/load times, I don't know, never actually used it myself, sorry.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
benhofb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
As for lag/load times, I don't know, never actually used it myself, sorry.
That is quite alright. I just tried it myself on a 20mb chapter and it works beautifully. Pages load faster and everything. Thanks to you guys for the help. Now I have some zipping to do...

ALSO: I noticed that when your scans are in Zip format, the iriver supports bookmarking, something you cannot do when looking at a picture within a folder. Brilliant!

Last edited by benhofb; 07-13-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If you have a digital camera or MP3 player or any other device which uses FAT filesystem and is capable of formatting SD cards, try formatting the card using one of those devices. It's a shame the iriver can't do that by itself - maybe I could make a mod for that, but it'd only work with wifi / Web Portal.
I created a mod for this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185145

It allows you to check the SD Card for read errors, and format it directly on the device itself. It depends on Web Portal, so unfortunately, this is for Story HD Wifi devices only.

Tags
help needed, help please, iriver story hd