Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Batchfiles
Batchfiles began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Backing up collections

Every now and then my PRS 505 will throw a wobbly and loose all my collections and bookmarks. The books remain but it's a bind to have to setup all the collections again and copy the books over to them.

All my books I keep on an SD card and I assume there is one or more database files somewhere on the reader or on the SD card that holds the collections information. My question is is it possible to backup this/ these files and copy them back again after the next wobbly without having to go through all the trouble of setting collections up and transferring books again?
Batchfiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
It has been a while since I looked at the file structure of the reader but I believe that the collections are actually stored in a XML file. I would start by searching for XML file extensions.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I believe it's an xml file too.

FWIW, I used to have this problem also. It happened about 3-4 times and was really annoying. I changed a few things and it's never happened again. No idea which of the things I did stopped it, and I basically did all of it in a span of two days. Here are the changes I made:

1. Got rid of the cheap PNY 2gb SD card I had. It was dirt cheap when I bought it, and slow as molasses. Put in a Lexington 4gb high speed memory stick instead.

2. Uninstalled Sony software, all the way down to removing it from Windows Registry and following the manual complete uninstall directions Sony has. Then reinstalled it.

3. Began using Calibre for my transfers and management, including creating the collections in it using Tags; and just using the Sony software for things I have to use it for, like free things I've downloaded from Sony.

Since doing this, I've found two main differences. 1) Collections no longer go away. 2) After unplugging the reader from my computer indexing time has gone from 15-20 minutes down to 2-3 minutes.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the cheap, slow SD card was underperforming so much that it was crashing the xml file and the Sony software becasue I'd have all kinds of lock up issues when using it, and with the new card there's none of that.

Last edited by Renaldo; 05-09-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Batchfiles

Thanks duckeedoug. It looks like the file I want is cache2.xml in the sync folder of the SD card. It seems to contain all the collection information. I've copied it over to the PC and hopefully this is all I will need to replace the next time my collections disappear.

My assumption is that this file is updated each time I make alterations to the books in the collections, and all I have to do is make a backup of it after every change.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Batchfiles

Thank you too Renaldo for your reply. You must have posted as I was replying to duckeedough.

I'll try your suggestion of fully uninstalling and then re-installing the Sony software. I'm using a Sandisk card but I also have a Kingston so I'll try copying everything over to that and giving it a try.
Advert