Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Tanni
bibliophile
Tanni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch, Kobo Aura Ed 2
Post Kobo touch died while factory resetting

My kobo touch just decided to die while I was factory resetting.
The reset was almost complete, I plugged it out of my laptop, and it froze at the upgrading screen. Then I became impatient and tried the pin resetting because it always worked on frozen screen. Now my kobo has a complete white screen, doesn't turn on/off. If I plug in to a wall charger/usb the green light simply blinks and then nothing.....

I got it as a gift a long time ago (don't remember) and am pretty sure of crossing warranty period. And I also lost the box that it came in with all the papers. So I can't even check if I have warranty or not.

I am quite fond of my gadgets. I practically get attached to them, and loosing anyone of them cause me quite a heartache

Please help...
Tanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Hello, Tanni..
Did you try to manually hard reset your reader?
If not, then try this:

1. If possible, turn off your eReader.
Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try holding the power button to the right until you see Powered off on your screen.
2. Press and hold the Home button.
While holding the Home button, slide the power button to the right several times to turn on your eReader.
3. Continue holding the Home button and wait until the power light blinks rapidly.
4. Let go of the Home button.
5. You'll see a Restoring message on the screen.

(NOTE: The whole process is taken from Kobo.com/help)
I think you may insist on step 2... You have to try several times to succeed. If not, then try again...)

Last edited by WolfBack; 10-16-2015 at 04:47 PM.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
1. If possible, turn off your eReader.
Note: If your eReader doesn't turn off, try holding the power button to the right until you see Powered off on your screen.
If the device is hung, the screen probably won't change. In the state I think Tanni is in, holding the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds should force a power off. Hopefully the rest of the steps will work.

If that doesn't work, then an image can be supplied to write to the internal SD card. This will only work for the N905B and N905C as the original N905 has fixed internal memory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Never ever remove a USB cable when the Reader is in the process of updating the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
Tanni
bibliophile

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really didn't expect to get replies this fast.

I have tried all that you guys suggested and these are what happened....

Manual resetting does not work.. .. ... no responses what so ever.. ... not even the green light blinkering. And I have been trying for 2 days.

On the other hand when I plug it in the wall charger/usb cable to my laptop this is what happens..
1st green light, then blue light, then green again, then blue again, then the screen flashes (goes black from white and then white again) and finally no light at all. The lights goes completely off and the screen is back to white.
But once I unplug it the green light is back on and stays green for about 1 min give or take 5 secs.

I don't know what to make of these behaviors. I am not very bright on techs.
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
Tanni
bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Never ever remove a USB cable when the Reader is in the process of updating the firmware.

You bet.
I have learned my lessons.
Been thinking about taking some meditation courses to get a grip on my patience so that my gadgets can be safe with me.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's sort of OK. The screen probably isn't dead. Hopefully, we can get you going again.

At this point, plug it in for at least an hour to make sure the battery is charged. Then, unplug it and follow the factory reset instructions.

If that doesn't work, it's time to try reimaging the internal SD card.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
Tanni
bibliophile

Thank you davidfor.
I will try that now.
Though I was wondering what is this reimaging the internal SD card? I googled it but the results aren't very knowledgeable....
And there is something I forgot to mention. When I plug the KT with usb to my laptop, the laptop does not recognize the internal or the external storage. The cable is fine because it works perfectly fine with my Nokia Lumia. And the external sd card also works if I put it in card reader...
Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
David need your model so he can send you the image in PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If that doesn't work, then an image can be supplied to write to the internal SD card. This will only work for the N905B and N905C as the original N905 has fixed internal memory.
The model number is on the end of the device with the USB port.

after that you write the image on the sd card see here.

Last edited by oren64; 10-17-2015 at 10:13 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
Tanni
bibliophile

So, I tried factory resetting after plugging off. The green and blue lights flushed and the screen also flashed once, then nothing.

The model number:
FCC ID: NOIKBN905C
IC: 8857A-KBN905C
MODEL: N905C

Last edited by Tanni; 10-17-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I have sent you PM with the link to the image. If you follow the instructions oren64 pointed to, you should be able to do this. They are for the Glo, but the steps and tools are the same.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
Tanni
bibliophile

Thank you very much.
I am a complete novice at this. So correct me if I am wrong....

After opening up the kobo and taking out the microSD I directly go to this part....

"Place your new MicroSD card into your computer. Again dismiss any prompts that popup.

Next, open up "Flash Drive Image Writer". Here you will select the .img file you just created from the Creator program. Either from C:\KoboSD\ or the desktop. Also select your destination drive. Click Write Image. Read the prompt and click yes if you want to format the destination SD and continue.

You’ve now completely cloned the original SD Card."

except original MicroSD at the place of new MicroSD and select the .img file you just sent me. Then I skip step 3 and reinstall the SD card.

I am just trying to get the procedure right so that I don't break it further by my ignorance. Please bear with me a little.
Again..
Old 10-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Follow the instructions:

1)Download Flash Drive Image Writer.
2)Open the back cover of your device and remove the internal sd card.
3)Connect the sd card to PC, you can use the original sd card or a new sd card with a bigger size.
4)format the sd card.
5)Open Image Writer select the imag file and the sd card, and click write imag.
6)If you use bigger sd card use MiniTool to expand the partition.
7)Place back the sd card in your device and close the cover.
8)Turn on the device.

Last edited by oren64; 10-19-2015 at 02:25 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:55 AM   #14
Tanni
bibliophile

Oh my god....it just started to work!!!!
I upgraded it smoothly this time and back on track with my last book...

Any word of advice.......
Old 10-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanni View Post
Oh my god....it just started to work!!!!
I upgraded it smoothly this time and back on track with my last book...
Good to hear.
Quote:
Any word of advice.......
Only, enjoy your book.

Tags
dead kobo is dead?, factory reset, kobo touch